HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

How good was Willie O'Ree?

Old
01-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Hawkman

vCash: 500
How good was Willie O'Ree?

Please educate and share your opinions with me. Has he ever been taken in an ATD or a MLD? Here's a link > http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...t0hTxRKLYVEMEQ

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Big Phil

O'Ree was nothing special - on the ice that is. He played 45 career NHL games and had 4 goals. Of course this was in the original 6 days so I'm sure he had a decent skill set as a player if he even managed to make the NHL but his legacy is based on being the first black player in the NHL. Not that he didnt face some discrimination from opponents and fans but this wasnt quite like Jackie Robinson breaking the colour barrier. There were no Negro leagues in Hockey. O'Ree is best known for being the first black player, and that's unfortunately about it. Although a good side story is that he managed to play despite being blind in one eye, that is something not everyone knows

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 01:03 AM
Nalyd Psycho

He was good enough to be a solid but unspectacular 3rd liner in a 6 team league. Which means he likely would have been a good 3rd liner, average 2nd liner in a 30 team league.

01-20-2008, 03:13 PM
MESSMAN11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
O'Ree was nothing special - on the ice that is. He played 45 career NHL games and had 4 goals. Of course this was in the original 6 days so I'm sure he had a decent skill set as a player if he even managed to make the NHL but his legacy is based on being the first black player in the NHL. Not that he didnt face some discrimination from opponents and fans but this wasnt quite like Jackie Robinson breaking the colour barrier. There were no Negro leagues in Hockey. O'Ree is best known for being the first black player, and that's unfortunately about it. Although a good side story is that he managed to play despite being blind in one eye, that is something not everyone knows
"LOOK",
I am From O'Ree's hometown,and they named a rink after him here,"he was an amazing skater",but do to racial problems he was never given the chanse a white player would have had,he could have been a star if he was white.
Imagine if Iggy was not given a chanse to play,it's teriball how O'Ree had so much talent,and never had a chanse to sow it.

MESSMAN11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 10:05 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
I heard that he scored over 450 goals in pro hockey, of course only 4 were in the NHL (most were in the old WHL). Still to score 450 goals while making a living, you must have a pretty decent skill-set.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Vector

From what I've heard, read, and watched he had amazing straight away speed but not the greatest hands at the NHL level.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote