HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oh no! MacT again!

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2004, 02:21 PM
xauxi

vCash: 500
Oh no! MacT again!

Hi all,
No Oilers hockey to watch, so I would just like to give a quick review the season Oilers had. Even though the topic seems to be as old and bored, but I still post here. If the Oilers had made 2 more victories they would have now been in the playoff. I wonder with all the bad games Salo performed, had there been a "SLIGHLY" difference if MacT'd played Ty Conklin for ... let's say 5 games. With 5 games more with Ty in the net, the Oilers may have got a little better, just enough to get into the playoff. Everyone (including KL and MacT) puts the blame on Salo. But if MacT had a bolder, clearer vision, he may have put Ty in the net for more games early in the season (while Salo was struggling), the result may be different now.
As a coach standpoint, MacT never accepts any fault on himself. Is this a good or bad thing? I don't know. Would you think MacT acts reasonably fair? No doubt that He drove the team to a huge drive at the end, but if... IF he had trusted Ty a little bit more. We may have still been watching Oilers. I, myself, has critizied MacT for goalies choice since the beginning of the season, and until now, I still do. It is bitter for the Oilers not being in the playoff.

Old
04-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Walsher

Maybe if Ryan Smyth, Shawn Horcoff, Georges Laraque, Eric Brewer, and a handfull of others contributed anything in the first 50 games the Oilers could still be playing. Yes Salo was aweful, but how do u move a guy with that price tag if you can't get him going? Was Conks that legitimate of a player in October that he warranted the brunt of the work? Hindsight is 20/20 - and to rip MacT for playing the players he had that is a little foolish to me. Of course you ride Salo early - he is your 4 million dollar number 1. If he stinks, which he did, you make a change, which they did. You continue to try and get Salo going because he is your only legitimate #1, which they did. Unfortunately the Oilers all had inconsistent seasons and the main gaps in the lineup were exploited. This season isn't MacT's fault - the players deserve a huge amount of the weight.

Old
04-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Boondock Saint

Yes, it could have made the difference..... and Ty also could have played some terrible games and we could have been even further behind..... No one is quite sure how Ty would respond to playing a whole wack of games in a row. He had a good stretch at the end of the year (save the Vancouver game) but he was also being spelled off, and pushed for the #1 role by Markannen.

Another argument where we have the benefit of hindsight......

Too many posters use hindsight around here to judge coaching and management decisions.....

Old
04-13-2004, 02:38 PM
xauxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Yes, it could have made the difference..... and Ty also could have played some terrible games and we could have been even further behind..... No one is quite sure how Ty would respond to playing a whole wack of games in a row. He had a good stretch at the end of the year (save the Vancouver game) but he was also being spelled off, and pushed for the #1 role by Markannen.

Another argument where we have the benefit of hindsight......

Too many posters use hindsight around here to judge coaching and management decisions.....
Thanks for your reply. ... I just wish. The big IF. Could be this way or the that way. But correct me if I am wrong, for the team success, whoever plays better would get more share (MacT and KL stressed exactly as that at the beginning of the season). Of course, I just wish, because I definitely do not have the coaching abilities at all. Critism does not need skill, I guess.
Till next year...

Old
04-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by xauxi
Thanks for your reply. ... I just wish. The big IF. Could be this way or the that way. But correct me if I am wrong, for the team success, whoever plays better would get more share (MacT and KL stressed exactly as that at the beginning of the season). Of course, I just wish, because I definitely do not have the coaching abilities at all. Critism does not need skill, I guess.
Till next year...
I agree, though, it sure makes you wonder what might have been if things had been played out a different way......

Old
04-13-2004, 02:52 PM
kyle

Someone with more ambition than me (this includes you.. well.. everyone) can probably tell you how many 1-goal games this team lost in regulation. I can tell you that they lost 5 in OT and tied 12.

Being only, what? 4 points out? Those 1-goal games were huge. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but I seem to remember there being a lot of 1-goal games.

Old
04-13-2004, 03:13 PM
xauxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
Someone with more ambition than me (this includes you.. well.. everyone) can probably tell you how many 1-goal games this team lost in regulation. I can tell you that they lost 5 in OT and tied 12.

Being only, what? 4 points out? Those 1-goal games were huge. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but I seem to remember there being a lot of 1-goal games.
Yes... I still remember those games. .

Old
04-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Walsher

There were also a bunch of 1-0 games this season that really hurt. Cgy, Washington, St Louis maybe more. The Oilers also butchered 3 goal leads on numerous occassions. The amount of games that got away all season is remarkable, and to still be within spitting distance of a playoff spot is amazing. The fact is no body could have possibly predicted the things that happened this year. The Comrie fiasco, the Salo fiasco, Reasoner, York, Isbister, Conklin, Smith injuries, etc. The fact is everything is seems so easy when you look back in time. "We shouldn't have traded Hecth, we should have traded Salo, if this, if that." If the Oilers had won all their games they would have been a dynasty this year. The fact remains every team has ifs and buts. IMO Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish did the best job they could with the personell and assets they had to use. KLowe brought in Oates, yes didn't go as planned but he made the effort based on the weakness down the middle, he then brought in Nedved to fill the #1 Center position, a weakness that has lingered for a while. He dealt with the gaping hole between the pipes. Yes it could have happened earlier but who would have been willing to eat Salo's 4 million in a trade? MacT battled inconsistency from his key players. Smyth, Laraque, Bergeron, Brewer, Horcoff, etc had shaky years with strong finishes to make it look better than it was. Hemsky came out guns a blazing yet come December he packed it in and was useless offensively and a liability defensively. These are things that are out of the control of coaches and management. To me the coaches and management deserve extreme praise. This team was projected to finish well out of the playoffs by all "experts" yet with any consistency from their leaders and decent goaltending their is no doubt they would still be playing. Tons to build on and the right people in charge.

Closed Thread