HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pierre McGuire said Habs @ Calgary/Wild game

Old
01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
le_sean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
Screw Tanguay.

One, he's a center, we would've to move Koivu wich won't happen because he's Gillet's son.

Two, the biggest point, OVERPAID.

Ktks

endthread.
Tanguay is a LW.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 01:05 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris La Tigre View Post
have the veteran Tanguay switch...

This begs questions about Higgins? I would imagine Higgins is who the Flames are after. I would trade Higgins for the right offer, but not Tanguay, one for one. Tanguay and a high pick, i'd think long and hard about.

Also, following McPhee's logic a team seeking speed wouldn't want to part with one of their faster players in Tanguay, would they.

Speculation is hard on my head.
Where is the big wall, because i am going to bang my head until it bleeds ....

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Have you seen the list of available centres this season?

Yeah, not so good.

Terrible deal. You give up on the playoffs with that deal.
Getting Beauchemin is giving up on the playoffs? Right.

I think you're a little too obsessed on Koivu there.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Lombardi is just awesome. The perfect third liner.
Why would we need a third liner, though?

Old
01-18-2008, 01:35 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

Koivu could get injured and miss the rest of the season and Doug Weight would still not be able to outscore him. It's a bad deal short term and a worse deal long term. We'd potentially be going into next season with a top 2 of Plekanec-Lapierre...And the UFA centres are CRAP and the only way you get a good one is by overpaying, which is a bad idea in any case. You can also try trading for another centre but then you have to give up more assets (good ones). It's just a bad trade, it makes no sense just to get Beauchemin no matter how much people here have a boner for him.

waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 01:36 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Why would we need a third liner, though?
We need a GOOD third liner.

Old
01-18-2008, 01:37 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Koivu could get injured and miss the rest of the season and Doug Weight would still not be able to outscore him. It's a bad deal short term and a worse deal long term. We'd potentially be going into next season with a top 2 of Plekanec-Lapierre...And the UFA centres are CRAP and the only way you get a good one is by overpaying, which is a bad idea in any case. You can also try trading for another centre but then you have to give up more assets (good ones). It's just a bad trade, it makes no sense just to get Beauchemin no matter how much people here have a boner for him.
I'm sure you'd be happy to know my boner is totally unrelated to Beauchemin!

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of turning Higgins or Andrei Kos into centers. I really think Andrei could do this at this point in his career.

Old
01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of turning Higgins or Andrei Kos into centers. I really think Andrei could do this at this point in his career.
Andrei Kostitsyn will never be an effective center in the NHL. Not this year, not next, not in 10 years.

Keep him on the wing. It's working very well. In the middle, his talent would be wasted.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

I think you're a little too obsessed on Beauchemin there!

Comparing the impact of a 3rd defenseman who played behind two future HOFamers and a great goalie coached by the best goalie coach, to Koivu, an almost career PPG playoff player who held a talentless team on his shoulders for over a decade.....

another koivu hater...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 01:45 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Again, that's a big adjustment. We're just having these guys come into their own and now we're going to have to start developing over again? Why? Just so we can get Beauchemin? Or just so we can get rid of Koivu?

Old
01-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Talent Analyst

In CKAC , they said Ryder+Chipchura for Tanguay.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
As a rumor?

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTWymanFan View Post
if it makes the team better present and future....

sure he's a good player for us but let's not make him out to be Lafleur

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
I also heared J-C saying the Flames denied the rumor.. said it was on TSN, but I can't find anything.

This being said, I'm not sure I'd give Chipchura for Tangay...

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Again, that's a big adjustment. We're just having these guys come into their own and now we're going to have to start developing over again? Why? Just so we can get Beauchemin? Or just so we can get rid of Koivu?
More like getting Beachemin than losing Koivu. I'm not saying that losing Saku wouldn't hurt us. But Beauchemin is a freakin horse. Imagine him on the left and Komi on the right.

Old
01-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTWymanFan View Post
Now you know precisely how people feel after reading one of your posts about Huet.

what goes around...

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 02:13 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
That doesn't make sense for Calgary...They need speed and have a ton of grit. Chipchura has grit but no speed.

Quote:
More like getting Beachemin than losing Koivu. I'm not saying that losing Saku wouldn't hurt us. But Beauchemin is a freakin horse. Imagine him on the left and Komi on the right.
I don't see Beauchemin-Komisarek as a good pairing. Komi is best with Markov. Hamrlik-Beauchemin is nice to have, but why not give that shot to O'Byrne who has the potential to be just as good?

It's hard to predict of Beauchemin's success would translate to success in Montreal. Different conferences, different teams, different teammates, different philosophies...It's one thing if he's a seasoned vet who's been around the league and has success everywhere, but the guy was let go from 2 teams before getting good. Is it him, or is it the team? (It's both, but which is more than the other?)

Old
01-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Vlad The Impaler

I like Beauchemin but this talk of trading Koivu for him doesn't make much sense for me.

Keep Koivu, get a slightly underachiving two-way defenseman would be a better plan, IMO.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 02:18 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Either Beauchemin undervalued himself or he's overrated, but at his price, there's no way Anaheim deals him. He's such a bargain, I doubt teams ask about him.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
That doesn't make sense for Calgary...They need speed and have a ton of grit. Chipchura has grit but no speed.

I don't see Beauchemin-Komisarek as a good pairing. Komi is best with Markov. Hamrlik-Beauchemin is nice to have, but why not give that shot to O'Byrne who has the potential to be just as good?

It's hard to predict of Beauchemin's success would translate to success in Montreal. Different conferences, different teams, different teammates, different philosophies...It's one thing if he's a seasoned vet who's been around the league and has success everywhere, but the guy was let go from 2 teams before getting good. Is it him, or is it the team? (It's both, but which is more than the other?)
I don't doubt that his environement played a huge part in his recent developement. Again you think that maybe he wouldn't be as good with the Habs. That we can't know for sure. Trades are always about uncertainity. But I would be willing to take that chance. Not only he hits hard but he has more of a mean streak than Komi even. And I don't see how Beauchemin being there would prevent O'Byrne from playing. It's the opposite, it would accentuate our strength and would make our D the most feared in the league. Plus it would take out some of the load that Komi has to carry every game by having a more experienced guy joining in. Imagine for a second our D with Komi, Hammer, O'Byrne and Beauchemin. Let's face it we have strong guys but there are still uncertainities with this team from top to bottom. But adding somebody like Francois we finally would be a force at something.

Old
01-18-2008, 02:39 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
I don't doubt that his environement played a huge part in his recent developement. Again you think that maybe he wouldn't be as good with the Habs. That we can't know for sure. Trades are always about uncertainity. But I would be willing to take that chance. Not only he hits hard but he has more of a mean streak than Komi even. And I don't see how Beauchemin being there would prevent O'Byrne from playing. It's the opposite, it would accentuate our strength and would make our D the most feared in the league. Plus it would take out some of the load that Komi has to carry every game by having a more experienced guy joining in. Imagine for a second our D with Komi, Hammer, O'Byrne and Beauchemin. Let's face it we have strong guys but there are still uncertainities with this team from top to bottom. But adding somebody like Francois we finally would be a force at something.
It's still a bit of a risk to take...And considering it would destroy our already fragile centre depth this year and next, I just don't see how it would be worth taking.

Old
01-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

God <<<<<< Beauchemin

Didn't you know?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Roulin

I highly recommend readers of this thread visit this blog:

http://battleofalberta.blogspot.com/

The most recent entry talks about the rumour, and there are several quality entries about Tanguay on the first page.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 03:05 PM
kyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
I like Beauchemin but this talk of trading Koivu for him doesn't make much sense for me.

Keep Koivu, get a slightly underachiving two-way defenseman would be a better plan, IMO.
Agreed. Presuming Gainey is willing to make any sort of trade in the first place which, imo, is unlikely unless the team falls apart, we are going to need all the defensive help we can get for the playoffs.

kyne is offline   Reply With Quote