HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does this team have a leadership problem?

Old
01-22-2008, 04:39 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Does this team have a leadership problem?

You generally can find out more about a persons ability to lead during bad times and I think this recent bad stretch is showing that this team lacks leadership.

When I talk about leadership I am talking primarily about 3 guys. Tkachuk, Jackman and Mayers. I think all three of them arent doing enough to try and shake this team out of this slump.

Tkachuk has had questions about his abilities to lead going back to his days in Winnepeg-Phoenix. He has always had top flight ability but his horrid playoff record in all cities he has played in speaks loudly here. I think he is one of the few players to be on 2 different teams to cough up 3-1 leads in playoff series' (The Blues beat the Coyotes when he was there and when he was with the Blues the team lost a 3-1 lead to the Canucks.

It may be time to say that he doesnt have what it takes come crunch time and I say if this slide continues you try and cut ties with him at the deadline if he will waive his no trade.

Jackman is a painfull case for me because this kid has a history of being a leader at every level he has played. He was the youngest captain in the history of the Regina Pats of the WHL at the age of 16. When he first arrived with the Blues he was thought of as being the next long term captain of the team. He has always done the intangible things that it takes to be a leader until recently and he has had a lot of surguries on his shoulders that may not allow him to do what it takes for him to be a NHL player and be the leader he always has been. It is hard to watch this kid just kind of be non exixtant physically out there when that is what made him a 1st round draft pick in the NHL to start with.

I am beginning to think that his body just cannot do the things that he needs to do on a consistant basis and it may be time to shuffle him off as well.

Mayers is the toughest case to talk about here because he plays the least amount of the three but I think if you look at Mayers' game lately it is easy to tell that he isnt stepping up when he can. If you look at the last few years Mayers was always one of the first to try and light a fire under this teams ass when they are flat and I havent seen that at all during this bad streak.

There is still a little while to go before the deadline but if this team continued to play bad and manangement needs to send a message to shake things up these three names would be a good place to start.

Before someone reminds me I know that our goaltending has went south lately and if Manny doesnt find his game all the changes in the world wont help. I think Manny will find his game though and these other problems although their effects will be lessened will still be there.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 05:05 PM
General Veers

Great post carp! I think you're dead-on. I used to think dealing Backs and re-signing Jacks was the way to go, but now I'm thinking deal Jacks and hope Backs provides something next year. In the meantime, Jacks role could be filled by Sal/Polak.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 05:06 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

don't you need a leader to have a problem with it?

that is usually what happens when a team makes a player their captain. They become the leader.

Kariya gets an A more often than Mayers
Brewer gets paid more than Jackman and has the long term contract
Walt is Walt.

I blame the team for not assigning the C and two or three A's at the beginning of the year.

This rotating A crap might work on an expansion team like Minnesota but I don't think it works here.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 05:25 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
don't you need a leader to have a problem with it?

that is usually what happens when a team makes a player their captain. They become the leader.

Kariya gets an A more often than Mayers
Brewer gets paid more than Jackman and has the long term contract
Walt is Walt.

I blame the team for not assigning the C and two or three A's at the beginning of the year.

This rotating A crap might work on an expansion team like Minnesota but I don't think it works here.
I get the point about the C, but I dont think you need a letter to be a leader.

I mentioned the three guys that I mentoined because they seem to be pretty high on the ladder as far as leaders on this team go and all three seem to be able to do more.

Old
01-22-2008, 05:28 PM
StLooFrenchy

As I have posted previously, Mayers hasn't lead by example since he was put on the second line. He is a good third liner, a great fourth liner, but when he tries to be a scorer, he is useless. When he is on a grind line, he hustles, he hits with authority, he hurries the oppositions D, he STANDS UP for his 'mates, he has the odd goal go in off of his ass, he is a leader in every sense of the word; a young Dallas Drake. When he is put in a position where he is trying to showcase his skills, he totally dissappears. Blame either the Blues lack of depth, AM, or Jammer himself, but that's how I see it. A non-physical Jammer is utterly useless.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 05:30 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
As I have posted previously, Mayers hasn't lead by example since he was put on the second line. He is a good third liner, a great fourth liner, but when he tries to be a scorer, he is useless. When he is on a grind line, he hustles, he hits with authority, he hurries the oppositions D, he STANDS UP for his 'mates, he has the odd goal go in off of his ass, he is a leader in every sense of the word; a young Dallas Drake. When he is put in a position where he is trying to showcase his skills, he totally dissappears. Blame either the Blues lack of depth, AM, or Jammer himself, but that's how I see it. A non-physical Jammer is utterly useless.
That is a great point Frenchy maybe the role they have him in now limits what he can do in that aspect, because that is what is shocking about his play right now he is usuallly one of the first guys to do the things you mentioned.