HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues' scouts in Vancouver?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2008, 05:32 PM
  #1
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,643
vCash: 500
Blues' scouts in Vancouver?

John Kelly mentioned on the broadcast that MacInnis and "the rest" (read: probably more like "some") of the Blues' scouting staff were in Vancouver "probably going to the game" last night. The Blues are playing in Vancouver on Wednesday, so it stands to reason they're scouting their opponent. How often do teams send multiple guys to scout for one game, especially after just playing that team the previous week?

Of course it's possible there's some other event in Vancouver or something like that. But scouting opponents is something so rarely mentioned that I wonder how likely it is that they're scouting for trade purposes moreso than strategy purposes. A trade between the Blues and Canucks seems weird to me, they're both looking at about the same thing - they both have an abundance on defense and they need another scoring forward. However, Vancouver does have some more offensive defensemen, something the Blues need.
Sami Salo is the one that comes to mind, but I believe he has a NTC, and I wouldn't guess they'd trade him after signing a long contract - but with his severe underproduction this year and injuries, who knows? With Edler and Bourdon around, they might be willing to part with Krajicek, a player I think would appeal to Andy Murray.

I'm not trying to start an unnecessary rumor, it just seemed like something interesting about which to think aloud. I think Jackman has been awful lately, yet he keeps getting played while Backman gets scratched. That could be to please him as incentive to sign just as much as it could be featuring him for a trade, but I just don't know. It'll be interesting to see who's in the lineup against Vancouver on Wednesday.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 06:22 PM
  #2
trublu16
Registered User
 
trublu16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Any games with possible draftee for the up and coming NHL entry draft being played. They may be tracking a possible 1st rounder up there. Not sure if any of the kids would gardner that much attention, but you never know. But it is possible that the Blues and Nucks could make a trade. But I really do not see it.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 06:28 PM
  #3
General Veers
Registered User
 
General Veers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
I think Kelly said JD was in Van. too and missed the Preds game.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 06:37 PM
  #4
slimer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
I believe they are all in Van for their mid season scouting meetings. I don't know why they hold it in Van, but I don't think it is any indication of trade possibilities.

slimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 06:48 PM
  #5
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimer View Post
I believe they are all in Van for their mid season scouting meetings. I don't know why they hold it in Van, but I don't think it is any indication of trade possibilities.
I'm pretty sure you're correct about all of the brass being there for the mid-season scouting meeting.

As for why it's in Vancouver, why not? I've been to Vancouver, and it's a really nice place. Plus, there are some rather interesting draft-eligible guys in the Dub this year, and Vancouver could just be a temporary base of operations from which the scouts can spread out and check out players in Kamloops, Seattle, Everett, Kelowna, Spokane, New Westminster and Prince George for a couple of days.

That's how much hockey is in and around Vancouver... add the Canucks, and the Salmon Kings (ECHL) over in Victoria, and Vancouver is as much a real Hockeytown as you're likely to find. Just another reason -- along with the scenery and the climate -- why I wouldn't mind living there.

P_B


Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 07:17 PM
  #6
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gutter Alley
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I'm pretty sure you're correct about all of the brass being there for the mid-season scouting meeting.

As for why it's in Vancouver, why not? I've been to Vancouver, and it's a really nice place. Plus, there are some rather interesting draft-eligible guys in the Dub this year, and Vancouver could just be a temporary base of operations from which the scouts can spread out and check out players in Kamloops, Seattle, Everett, Kelowna, Spokane, New Westminster and Prince George for a couple of days.

That's how much hockey is in and around Vancouver... add the Canucks, and the Salmon Kings (ECHL) over in Victoria, and Vancouver is as much a real Hockeytown as you're likely to find. Just another reason -- along with the scenery and the climate -- why I wouldn't mind living there.

P_B

pssssst

you missed the Chilliwack Bruins. I still wish St. Louis had taken Oscar Moller and Mark Santorelli last draft. Moller is turning out to be a pretty good pick and Santorelli has size issues but he's so damned fast.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 08:12 PM
  #7
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
pssssst

you missed the Chilliwack Bruins. I still wish St. Louis had taken Oscar Moller and Mark Santorelli last draft. Moller is turning out to be a pretty good pick and Santorelli has size issues but he's so damned fast.


I mentioned New Westminister... I forgot that isn't where the Bruins play.

I agree about Moller; he was definitely on my radar.

P_B


Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 08:24 PM
  #8
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Correct, slimer and P_B - they're in Vancouver for their mid-term meetings. Nothing more.



No, I don't know why they're doing it in Vancouver, either.

__________________
No promises this time.
Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 08:39 PM
  #9
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,643
vCash: 500
Thanks for the info about the mid-term meetings. That also explains why John Kelly made the comment so offhandedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
No, I don't know why they're doing it in Vancouver, either.
To take in the local plantlife, of course.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 07:50 AM
  #10
kimzey59
Registered User
 
kimzey59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
To take in the local plantlife, of course.
Behold the Official Flower of Vancouver, the Rose:

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:10 PM
  #11
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Personally, I hope that JD, Jarmo, and as many other Blues' scouts as possible are in Everett checking out the Beach...



P_B


Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 03:51 PM
  #12
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Personally, I hope that JD, Jarmo, and as many other Blues' scouts as possible are in Everett checking out the Beach...



P_B

If they keep silding in the standings we wont have to trade up to get him.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 04:34 PM
  #13
StLooFrenchy
Registered User
 
StLooFrenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern Illinois
Country: France
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
If they keep silding in the standings we wont have to trade up to get him.
At this rate, we can trade down and get him.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
  #14
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
At this rate, we can trade down and get him.
I know and as a fan that goes to all the games this gets old quickly, I know they are still in a rebuild and this is part of it and if they dont make the top 8 yet so be it, I do expect some progress though. I hope they pull out of this.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.