HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

GDT: Lightning @ Islanders l Gm.3 l3-0 Bolts l Bolts Lead 2-1

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2004, 01:30 PM
OpAck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy1973
It seems whomever wins gets a victory hangover. Hopefully the Lightning break this trend next game.
Last night the Lightning commentators were talking about the arena on Long Island and its relavitely small capacity for today's NHL. Are there plans for the Isles getting a new home in the future?
Nassau County and Islanders ownership have been debating about a new arena for years (and about 3 different Isles' ownerships later). Charles Wang (owner) made a remark in January saying that an announcement on the plans for a new arena will be made soon, but we're still waiting. The deal will eventually get worked out, but there have been a number of roadblocks that got in the way in the past. I think an announcement will come soon. They may renovate it, or build another one and turn the existing arena into a convention center or something.

The ole Coliseum has seen it's day. I still love the ole barn, even though the traffic in and around the building is ridiculous. Of the buildings that I have been to, the Coliseum is by far the loudest. And current Isles' ownership have made a number of improvements. But, the arena is still out of date. I think the main reason the Lightning commentators made a comment about it is because they come from a beautiful, state of the art arena in Tampa. There is no comparison between Tampa and Long Island arenas.

Old
04-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAckTool
Nassau County and Islanders ownership have been debating about a new arena for years (and about 3 different Isles' ownerships later). Charles Wang (owner) made a remark in January saying that an announcement on the plans for a new arena will be made soon, but we're still waiting. The deal will eventually get worked out, but there have been a number of roadblocks that got in the way in the past. I think an announcement will come soon. They may renovate it, or build another one and turn the existing arena into a convention center or something.

The ole Coliseum has seen it's day. I still love the ole barn, even though the traffic in and around the building is ridiculous. Of the buildings that I have been to, the Coliseum is by far the loudest. And current Isles' ownership have made a number of improvements. But, the arena is still out of date. I think the main reason the Lightning commentators made a comment about it is because they come from a beautiful, state of the art arena in Tampa. There is no comparison between Tampa and Long Island arenas.
Think Wang said that renovations to the Coliseum will probably happen, as he can't come to an agreement with Nassau.

There was a pretty good article today in the St. Peter. paper about how genuine the Coliseum is. Personally, it's a great place to watch a hockey game (as long as you're not 10 rows from the top) and the sound is unbelievable. Still an old barn, but it's at least got some character to it.

Some of these new arenas are gorgeous, but the sight lines and huge capacity while being cluttered with an insane amount of concessions are a little obscene. I thought the Staples Center was beautiful, but I didn't care for the several places I sat and it was extremely quiet, even though they were playing the Ducks and Lanche.

Old
04-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Rick get up,you're scaring the hell out of Isles fans

LMFAO!

Old
04-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Slaughter Value
There was a pretty good article today in the St. Peter. paper about how genuine the Coliseum is.
I meant to put up the link to that, you Isles fans will enjoy this, it's a nice article:

Home of the Islanders a new classic

Old
04-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Think Wang said that renovations to the Coliseum will probably happen, as he can't come to an agreement with Nassau.

There was a pretty good article today in the St. Peter. paper about how genuine the Coliseum is. Personally, it's a great place to watch a hockey game (as long as you're not 10 rows from the top) and the sound is unbelievable. Still an old barn, but it's at least got some character to it.

Some of these new arenas are gorgeous, but the sight lines and huge capacity while being cluttered with an insane amount of concessions are a little obscene. I thought the Staples Center was beautiful, but I didn't care for the several places I sat and it was extremely quiet, even though they were playing the Ducks and Lanche.

There were a few closeups of the front row seating; it looked like they were about 5 feet away from the glass. I think that takes away from the fan experience and when they build the new arena they should fix that.

Old
04-13-2004, 02:44 PM
OpAck

Quote:

I just read that article....very good read. It will be sad to see the Coliseum go (or change). It may not have all the amenities and luxuries of the new arenas, but it's the atmosphere and tradition that makes it so great. I've been to St. Pete Times Forum, Wachovia Center, and the Fleet Center, and while they are great buildings (my fave so far is Tampa, ironically), the Coliseum does provide a more historic atmosphere. I've heard players comment in the past that the roar of the crowd is so loud that it rattles the dressing rooms. Ya gotta love it. As for the view, I have sat up in the 330's top row (usually row R or S) a number of times, and I love those seats, great view of the ice and not that high up. But secs 300-327, rows N+ offer a great view of the ceiling and not much else.

For a side question, if the Coliseum is renovated, where will the Isles play? I don't think they'd be able to complete it during the offseason (especially if the Isles go deep into the playoffs during these next few years). I dunno, maybe they can complete it in 3-5 months.

Game 4 will be interesting. The Isles got into penalty trouble early in the first and it cost them. By the time the second goal was scored, the crowd was out of it and the Isles stopped skating. A quick note for Lightning players: keep your head up...Steve Webb is playing and he will be looking to fire the crowd up.

Old
04-13-2004, 03:46 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
Yes, we know. I think you've started a thread along those lines on every single board on HF.

The kid's fighting it in the offensive zone right now, and the desire hasn't been there. He's not fighting through the checks, he's not skating hard and he's unwilling to go into the high-traffic areas and take a beating.

But the idea of scratching him is ludicrous.

First, he's not hurting his team defensively. In fact, he's backchecked very well so far in the series. And second, you simply never know when he's going to explode offensively. Maybe it'll happen and maybe it won't, but you just don't take your most skilled player with arguably the best shot on the team and sit him in the press box during the playoffs. Not when he's playing responsibly without the puck.

Would I like to see Lecavalier battle harder? Absolutely. Would I like to see his minutes handed over to Tim Taylor and/or Eric Perrin? Not a chance in hell.
I'm going overboard by saying he should be scratched, but he needs to be pushed. Its the playoffs, he needs to bring his A game!

Old
04-13-2004, 06:07 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat
I'm going overboard by saying he should be scratched, but he needs to be pushed. Its the playoffs, he needs to bring his A game!
Let's make a deal: TB scratches Lecavalier, Isles get to scratch Yashin. :lol

Old
04-13-2004, 08:19 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman
what is that part about the leafs supposed to mean?????
I'll politely decline that invitation to an argument. I think you're smart enough to figure it out. Let's try to keep this one on topic.

Closed Thread