HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

GDT:Glumac's Blue Knights@Preds 1/21/08

Old
01-22-2008, 09:42 AM
General Veers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Barret Jackman had "future captain" written all over him when he was drafted. Is it possible that the "veterans" we had who were the leaders on the team sucked all those intangible qualities out of him over the last few years?

Some people are just natural leaders. I think we've got the potential for a few of the younger guys to be leaders on this team, it's just that "the establishment" has been given the reins and told to be leaders and everyone else has to fall in, and the guys who've been in charge haven't exactly been role models of leadership.
Who do you think did something like that, Walt, Dougie? ...both? ...someone else?

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 03:54 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
If the Blues end up big sellers at the deadline. Who would likely be on the block? I'm guessing Tkachuk and Backman would garner a little interest. If there ever is a year where it may help to be bad over good I believe this is the year. From most reports this draft is loaded. I would be happy if we ended up around 9 or 10.
If they are in full selling mode throw Jackman and Legace in there as well. You may be able to get a team to overpay a ton for a goalie at the deadline. I have also heard the draft is loaded.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 03:58 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Barret Jackman had "future captain" written all over him when he was drafted. Is it possible that the "veterans" we had who were the leaders on the team sucked all those intangible qualities out of him over the last few years?

Some people are just natural leaders. I think we've got the potential for a few of the younger guys to be leaders on this team, it's just that "the establishment" has been given the reins and told to be leaders and everyone else has to fall in, and the guys who've been in charge haven't exactly been role models of leadership.
I think the injuries that Jackman has suffered to his shoulders have lessened his ability to do the thinga that you are reffering to more than anything else. He is my favorite player on the team but seeing him play out there and just be a shadow of what he used to be physically makes me think he just cant do it anymore and he should be traded.

Pisses me off too because this kid had the abillity to be really good at one point.

Old
01-22-2008, 04:32 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
I think the injuries that Jackman has suffered to his shoulders have lessened his ability to do the thinga that you are reffering to more than anything else. He is my favorite player on the team but seeing him play out there and just be a shadow of what he used to be physically makes me think he just cant do it anymore and he should be traded.

Pisses me off too because this kid had the abillity to be really good at one point.
I think he is trying to shoulder the load, and it is well outside of his skillset. I don't think Jax is more than a #4 D right now, and that is his ceiling. The problem is that he is being forced into a #2 role.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
I think he is trying to shoulder the load, and it is well outside of his skillset. I don't think Jax is more than a #4 D right now, and that is his ceiling. The problem is that he is being forced into a #2 role.
That's the problem with several players on this roster. Prime example: people act like Jay McClement is supposed to be a 20-35-55 guy down the road. He's not - he's been projected to be a checking-line center since he was drafted, not much more ... and people got dazzled by his 8-28-36 last year and expected him to hit 50 points this year. Instead of cultivating him for what he should be in the future, he's been asked to be a scorer/playmaker/grinder instead of being focused on solid defensive hockey first and he's struggled as a result.

Because he's not scoring at last year's clip and because he's struggling, people think we need to get rid of him ASAP. Wrong. He needs to be given a role - the one that plays to his strenghts - and have that role taught to him so he can be much more effective down the road.

There's guys shoehorned into spots they can't fill right now [or aren't ready to fill just yet] and it's screwing things up. We've still got a talent gap despite all the moves we've made this year, and there's 2 ways to fix it: (A) wait for guys in the system to get here and develop, or (B) trade to plug the holes and risk clogging the pipeline up.

01-22-2008, 04:42 PM
c-carp

Points well taken IB and Frenchy.

Old
01-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
Points well taken IB and Frenchy.
Agreed!

Seems as though Andy has a problem putting players in positions that match their strengths. Reads... Brewer on the 1st PP, Mayers on 2nd line as well as what others pointed out.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote