HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT Suspension? (Kovalchuk Suspended 1 Game)

View Poll Results: Does Kovalchuks Hit warrant a suspension?
Yes. 1-4 games 74 56.92%
Yes. 5-9 games 6 4.62%
Yes. 10+ games 6 4.62%
No. The 5 min major/game misconduct was sufficient. 44 33.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-22-2008, 11:51 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Nope - that is exactly the sort of play that a game misconduct was designed for. Yes, it was late. Yes, he left his feet. But it was a normal hockey play made late and out of position due to a combination of bad judgment and frustration. It was NOT a clear attempt to injure.

I don't think a suspension is warranted and personally I wouldn't give it to him. If he gets one game, I'll chalk it up to the league cracking down on hits from behind and I'll be okay with it for that reason. If it's any more than that, the Thrashers are getting shafted.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 11:53 PM
FLYLine24*

Zero games.

it wasn't THAT bad, and the major and the game misconduct was enough.

Like BRF said, if he does get a game, i'd also chalk it up that the league is just really trying to crack down on hits from behind.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 12:53 AM
Celestial Black

I would have to say at least one game.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 01:07 AM
eco's bones

Not to say that suspending him for one game would be nice for us but I don't really think this is suspension worthy. Roszival is fine and his hit has certainly hurt his team. It should be left at that.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 01:13 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Nope - that is exactly the sort of play that a game misconduct was designed for. Yes, it was late. Yes, he left his feet. But it was a normal hockey play made late and out of position due to a combination of bad judgment and frustration. It was NOT a clear attempt to injure.

I don't think a suspension is warranted and personally I wouldn't give it to him. If he gets one game, I'll chalk it up to the league cracking down on hits from behind and I'll be okay with it for that reason. If it's any more than that, the Thrashers are getting shafted.
i would agree with you if he didn try to force his elbow and forearm through rozsivals head not even 20 seconds before the hit in question.

to me those 2 hits add up to intent to injure.

suspend him for a game.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 02:12 AM
NHLhockey1234

Erm. . . . This is a hard call for me to make. I'd be undecided on a 1 one game suspension or no suspension. It's just not as blatant as Chris Simon's antics with his stick. Unless a player leaves the ice and literally jumps a foot off the ground or cross checks your face hard into the boards so that you end up with a very bloody face/serious injury, it's not a suspension in my opinion. Rosival did have an injury to the face though, so I'd err on the side of a 1 game suspension. I don't know. If Collie does more than 1 game I'd be super surprised and I'd hope the league would be consistent with its evaluation of hits.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 07:02 AM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i would agree with you if he didn try to force his elbow and forearm through rozsivals head not even 20 seconds before the hit in question.

to me those 2 hits add up to intent to injure.

suspend him for a game.

That's key here. Any other situation and it's just a poorly timed Holleweg hit at the wrong moment and a 5 min major.

In this case though you can see Kovalchuck run at Rozie once, and barely miss taking his head off, took a swing around and went in for a second attempt both times having nothing to do with the puck.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Rangersfan36

If you watch the play, Rosival didn’t have the puck, he was facing the boards, Kovy left his feet, and he had hit Rosival with an elbow 20 seconds earlier. There was obviously intent to injure and should have been given a match penalty last evening. 1-4 Games in my opinion.

Rangersfan36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 07:39 AM
Shadowtron

I voted "1-4", but I don't think it should be more than 1. Rosival finished the game. That has to be taken into account.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 08:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I'd give him a game.

01-23-2008, 09:15 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

It was a dangerous check, and if Roszival was seriosuly hurt, Kovalchuk could have gotten alot more than 1 game.

I think since he left his feet he should get 1 game.

The NHL has had a number of instances just like this throughout the season and have made examples of them. If Kovalchuk doesnt get at least 1 game, then its because hes a great player and is getting the benefit of the doubt which is wrong.

I think he deserves one game, no more no less.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 09:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
It was a dangerous check, and if Roszival was seriosuly hurt, Kovalchuk could have gotten alot more than 1 game.

I think since he left his feet he should get 1 game.

The NHL has had a number of instances just like this throughout the season and have made examples of them. If Kovalchuk doesnt get at least 1 game, then its because hes a great player and is getting the benefit of the doubt which is wrong.

I think he deserves one game, no more no less.
Yeah leaving his feet is the biggest thing IMO. The hit without jumping is a game misconduct. The jump shows a definite intent to injure.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I think Soupy suspends him for one game (tomorrow's) just to avoid the potential for nonsense as we enter the AS weekend.

Wasn't it Kovalchuk who took some really bad penalties in the POs as Avery was goading him? I guarantee that Avery was on him from the bench, and this was a result of that .

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

NHL Investigating Kovalchuk Hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN.CA
The NHL intends to further investigate Ilya Kovalchuk's hit on New York Rangers defenseman Michal Rozsival.
A suspension is possible.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
After the game Kovalchuk tried to explain the hit. "I just tried to finish my check, and he kind of turned right before I tried to hit him," he said.
That's a blatant lie. He already was turned to the boards and had moved the puck well before Kovalchuk came in.

Old
01-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
That's a blatant lie. He already was turned to the boards and had moved the puck well before Kovalchuk came in.
Yeah it's pretty obvious,

I hope he gets one game. At the time of the hit I thought the 5 min major and misconduct was enough, but no, he left his feet, it could have been a lot worse, if the NHL is taking their league seriously, 1 game(s)+ for Kovalchuk.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 09:49 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
This is what makes me lean towards a suspension. Less than 20 seconds earlier, he'd delivered a clearly intentional head shot to Rozsival (though I believe it was a shoulder, not an elbow). He then turned around and went after him again, when he was clearly facing the boards (he hadn't just turned, regardless of what Kovalchyk says) and didn't even have the puck. And regardless of how much he left his feet, he left his feet. These are all factors that have been used to give other people suspensions in the past.

Atlanta targeted Rozsival for physical play during the playoffs last year because they knew how valuable he was at the time. Last night, they were clearly doing the same, even before this hit.

Hell, even Denis Potvin, who hates the Rangers, said this morning on XM that he believes he should be suspended.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 09:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
You don't have to leave your feet to finish a check.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You don't have to leave your feet to finish a check.
That too.

Old
01-23-2008, 09:57 AM
DontStepanMe

Just a quick question for the people saying no games or 1 is enough. Would you think differently if Rosy was seriously injured or would you still only want 1 game or none?

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
After the game Kovalchuk tried to explain the hit. "I just tried to finish my check, and he kind of turned right before I tried to hit him," he said.

This video disagree's with him:

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Just a quick question for the people saying no games or 1 is enough. Would you think differently if Rosy was seriously injured or would you still only want 1 game or none?
I think level of injury to Rosie is a factor, but it's not like Kovalchuk has a history of being an intent to injure ****** bag like Downie. If Rosie WAS hurt worse, I'd say 5 games.

Old
01-23-2008, 10:07 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
I think level of injury to Rosie is a factor, but it's not like Kovalchuk has a history of being an intent to injure ****** bag like Downie. If Rosie WAS hurt worse, I'd say 5 games.
That is exactly what I find to be the problem. I'm not trying to pick on you but it aggravates me that the extent of the injury has to be considered. It was a dangerous play and Rosy was lucky not to get injured. But when will these dangerous hits stop? I really think you need to make an example out of Kovy to show that it doesn't matter who you are (star or role player) that these hits need to stop otherwise there will be stiff penalties.

I know Kovy doesn't have a history of trying to injure people, but Kovy doesn't exactly have the nicest history w/ Ranger players. So there could have been intent. Nobody will ever prove this, or disprove it for that matter, but his bad history w/ the Rangers should also be taken into account.

Old
01-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
That is exactly what I find to be the problem. I'm not trying to pick on you but it aggravates me that the extent of the injury has to be considered. It was a dangerous play and Rosy was lucky not to get injured. But when will these dangerous hits stop? I really think you need to make an example out of Kovy to show that it doesn't matter who you are (star or role player) that these hits need to stop otherwise there will be stiff penalties.

I know Kovy doesn't have a history of trying to injure people, but Kovy doesn't exactly have the nicest history w/ Ranger players. So there could have been intent. Nobody will ever prove this, or disprove it for that matter, but his bad history w/ the Rangers should also be taken into account.
I'm not saying that level of injury should equal length of suspension, but that it in reality it does enter the equation. I think the NHL should make an example of a star like Kovy, but I don't think they will.

Old
01-23-2008, 10:20 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
I'm not saying that level of injury should equal length of suspension, but that it in reality it does enter the equation. I think the NHL should make an example of a star like Kovy, but I don't think they will.
unfortunately I think you are correct in both accounts.