HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Scott Gomez is the team MVP so far.

Old
01-23-2008, 08:57 PM
John Torturella

vCash: 500
Scott Gomez is the team MVP so far.

When we first signed gomez, most of us thought it would turn out that the Drury signing would be great and that the Gomez contract was a little bit shaky. That was on paper only, though.

Through the first 50 games, Gomez is +2 with 11 goals, 36 assists. That is .90 p/pg. Save for October, with 3 points in 11 games, Gomez has averaged just over 1.1 p/pg. He has 10 multi point games so far. The best part is he is responsible defensively.

Imagine what his numbers would be like if Jagr was the real Jagr?

He has been by far the most consistent Ranger. Is he worth his 7 mill. cap hit? that is debatable. But he has been far, far better than Drury thus far.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
When we first signed gomez, most of us thought it would turn out that the Drury signing would be great and that the Gomez contract was a little bit shaky. That was on paper only, though.

Through the first 50 games, Gomez is +2 with 11 goals, 36 assists. That is .90 p/pg. Save for October, with 3 points in 11 games, Gomez has averaged just over 1.1 p/pg. He has 10 multi point games so far. The best part is he is responsible defensively.

Imagine what his numbers would be like if Jagr was the real Jagr?

He has been by far the most consistent Ranger. Is he worth his 7 mill. cap hit? that is debatable. But he has been far, far better than Drury thus far.
Despite his recent struggles, it is pretty apparent Lundqvist has been your mvp.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
I'd give it to Gomez as well. I don't remember one game where he wasn't trying his hardest out there, especially with out less-than-spectacular offense this year.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Speedtrials

Gomez has been excellent for us, and I am looking forward to seeing him hopefully center Cherepanov or Bourret in the future. As for this season, I would think it would be between Henrik and Scotty on who would be our MVP.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 10:00 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Despite his recent struggles, it is pretty apparent Lundqvist has been your mvp.
I dont think so. As good as Hank has been, Without Scotts p/pg, this team would be far away from playoff positioning. It could go to either Hank or Scott, as we would be lost without either of them.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Lundqvist holds the crown for single-handedly keeping us in the first 20 games or so.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Alright, Gomez is awesome, yah!! We get it guys, wow!! Being the team MVP on the Rangers is like being the smartest kid with down syndrome!

by the way, there's tremendous sarcasm there and I'm only joking, I don't know if any of you have seen the movie waiting and the guy they're training has a rant at the end of the movie and that's what I was hinting at. I'm just kidding, don't get me in trouble.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 11:12 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Alright, Gomez is awesome, yah!! We get it guys, wow!! Being the team MVP on the Rangers is like being the smartest kid with down syndrome!

by the way, there's tremendous sarcasm there and I'm only joking, I don't know if any of you have seen the movie waiting and the guy they're training has a rant at the end of the movie and that's what I was hinting at. I'm just kidding, don't get me in trouble.
Eh, youre just jealous we get to watch him game in and game out!

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
I dont think so. As good as Hank has been, Without Scotts p/pg, this team would be far away from playoff positioning. It could go to either Hank or Scott, as we would be lost without either of them.
I know I do not watch the Rangers as much as you, but Gomez's emergence has gone almost hand in hand with Jagr's, the first 20-30 games though you guys only seemed to win games where Lundqvist got a shutout. I would be foolish to argue that Gomez has not been valuable, but as somebody who does keep close tabs on the team I can say that without Lundqvist dominating every team he faced in the first 25 games you guys would be pretty close to LA right now.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Thats what I said to Scott Clemmenson the other day when he asked "how do you like Gomez?"

I told him.. he shows up... every night... every shift... steady, consistent.. he kicks ass, basically.

He's the man

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:17 AM
bumrusherer

Not just Gomez...amidst all the bad play and inconsistency. All of our centers have provided a consistent level of play and work ethic that has been a pleasure to watch.

But yeah, Gomez has been the best of the bunch.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 02:32 AM
broadwayblue

at some point his play is going to make me actually start liking him as a Ranger.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 06:33 AM
Levitate

Quote:
I know I do not watch the Rangers as much as you, but Gomez's emergence has gone almost hand in hand with Jagr's, the first 20-30 games though you guys only seemed to win games where Lundqvist got a shutout. I would be foolish to argue that Gomez has not been valuable, but as somebody who does keep close tabs on the team I can say that without Lundqvist dominating every team he faced in the first 25 games you guys would be pretty close to LA right now.
No, Gomez was on track before being paired with Jagr. Gomez got Shanny and Avery going, and then was moved up to Jagr's line specifically because he was playing well and the coaching staff hoped he'd kickstart Jagr.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Chimp

You seem to forget how much Gomez struggled during the first 2 months of the season. I'm a Lundqvist homer, but anyhow, I think I still would have to give him the nod for being the MVP. If the roles would be reversed and Lundqvist struggled during the start of the season and Gomez the last month, there would be no discussion that Lundqvist would be the MVP.

With the whole half season in mind, it's Lundqvist. Yes, he's been giving up a couple of soft ones and had some bad games, but I think we've all pretty much agreed upon that the difficult illness of his father had affected him mentally since december (which happened to be his and the team's dip in performance). An athlete at this level who isn't at his top in every aspect you can imagine won't perform well.

This feam rises and falls with Lundqvist, it's as simple as that. I do recognize Gomez's importance to this team though. He's easily one of our best and most important players.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Lundqvist didn't get Jagr going.

01-24-2008, 08:41 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Lundqvist didn't get Jagr going.
jagr has never been going.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
jagr has never been going.
24 in his last 18 = 1.33 PPG pace = 109 points over a full season = not too shabby

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:54 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
24 in his last 18 = 1.33 PPG pace = 109 points over a full season = not too shabby
compare where he is now to the last 2 years and look at his goals.. nothing is where it should be with jagr. the rangers pay him to be dominant and score goals. when he doesn't show signes of dominance he is a turnover machine. not too shabby is not good enough for a guy like jagr.

and jagr also said he would have the greatest season of his career this year.

henrik is the mvp.

Old
01-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
compare where he is now to the last 2 years and look at his goals.. nothing is where it should be with jagr. the rangers pay him to be dominant and score goals. when he doesn't show signes of dominance he is a turnover machine.

and jagr also said he would have the greatest season of his career this year.

henrik is the mvp.
For doing what?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:05 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
For doing what?
are you serious? he was maybe the best goalie in the league in october and november. where would we be right now if we were losing those low scoring games? yes lately, he hasn't been great but if you noticed his numbers and play went down the same time our defense stopped playing in our own zone.

Old
01-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
are you serious?
Yup

Quote:
he was maybe the best goalie in the league in october and november.
3 months ago.

Quote:
where would we be right now if we were losing those low scoring games?
9th place?

Quote:
he hasn't been great but if you noticed his numbers and play went down the same time our defense stopped playing in our own zone.
Sounds like an MVP to me.

Last edited by Shadowtron: 01-24-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old
01-24-2008, 09:35 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Yup

3 months ago.

9th place?

Sounds like an MVP to me.
he keeps us in games that we shouldn't win and the only reason we are right outside of a playoff spot right now is because of him. we would be much worse right now if it wansn't for his play earlier in the season. if you think gomez fine, but i think its henrik.

Old
01-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
he keeps us in games that we shouldn't win and the only reason we are right outside of a playoff spot right now is because of him. we would be much worse right now if it wansn't for his play earlier in the season. if you think gomez fine, but i think its henrik.
Well then, I must of been in a coma the last two month and having nightmares about our franchise goaltender playing some of the worst hockey of his short career, and after a brilliant start has fallen so far that he actually lost out on an All-Star appearance to Vokoun.

Old
01-24-2008, 09:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Well then, I must of been in a coma the last two month and having nightmares about our franchise goaltender playing some of the worst hockey of his short career, and after a brilliant start has fallen so far that he actually lost out on an All-Star appearance to Vokoun.
And we had Boston fans telling us that the Bruins don't need him because they have Tim Thomas and Manny Fernandez.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
And we had Boston fans telling us that the Bruins don't need him because they have Tim Thomas and Manny Fernandez.
Hell, Thomas was even chosen to replace Brodeur in the ASG.