HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Really old players?

Old
01-21-2008, 09:42 AM
brother52

vCash: 500
Really old players?

What's the oldest player you've seen playing in a league, beer leagues included? I just wonder for how long I'll still be able to play, and how aging will affect my game.

brother52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother52 View Post
What's the oldest player you've seen playing in a league, beer leagues included? I just wonder for how long I'll still be able to play, and how aging will affect my game.
Senility will definitely affect your playmaking. Remember, only pass the puck to another player with the same colour of sweater as the one you are wearing.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 10:35 AM
sc37

vCash: 700
I've seen some old guys play in our league, idk how old they are exactly but I'd guess late 50s. They all still seemed to scoot around pretty well too. Felt bad cause I fell once and took one of them out ><

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 10:39 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

just had a oldtimer's tourny here, and there was one guy, that was 65...and he's pretty good still, may have been even older guys then him playing

obviously he wasnt playing against the younger guys, there were 2 divisions, an under 40 one, and an over 40

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 11:22 AM
VisionQuest*

I regularly play with a guy from sask who is in his early 50s. he probably had a shot at playing in the minors in the 70s, his skill set shows that much. he still has some game. good skater, awesome shot...I watched him push one past a pretty good goalie yesterday at pick up, short side from below the dot, high blocker, but the guy 's ability to take blame for something he does wrong has completely gone out the window. Now its all the fault of "those damn kids" if you get my drift. I cant stand being on his line, youll see him completely out of position, and he'll blame you for the turnover every time when hes in no position to receive a pass.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 11:43 AM
stick9

Skated in a mens league with a guy in his mid 60's. It's not uncommon to see guys in the 50's playing pick up.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Icer

I play in an over 40 league and most of the guys are in their 40s to early 50s. But one of the guys on my team brings HIS DAD from time to time. He's probably in his late 60s and can still bring it.

I also played against a former pro player (Grand Rapids Owls - IHL) that was 70+, but I haven't seen him for about a year so I have to assume he's hung em up.

The rink across town has an over 50 league. I don't become eligible for a few more years. I've even seen a couple of over 60 leagues, though we don't have one in our area.

Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

I played pickup a few yrs back with a woman who was in her late 50's... she was bad ass... skated like Laura Stamm.

I must of set her up for 7 or 8 back door goals. I threw the puck to the back side post and she would just arrive like a flash and tip it home.

We had to play iron man for about 3 hrs... and we took a break about 2 hours in. We where all leaning agt. the board.. laying on the ice, etc.. most of us where in really good shape keep in mind.

She skated over, ate an orange, then did laps around the rink.

She actually changed my life, eventhough I met her once. She made me realize that if I took care of myself I could be playing hockey well in to my 50s or 60s.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:12 PM
shorre

my dad has the ice once a week with his buddies and hes 65 and some of the other guys are 70.i go out with them once inawhile , some of them get really cranky thats forsure.i know as u get older u do lose some skills but i was just in a tourney over the weekend in a 19 and over div and our team was by far the oldest our average age would be 35.the teams we played average age would be 20.but the experienced prevailed .we didnt lose a game and won the championship in a shootout.

shorre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Steelhead16

I used to play in a regular pick up group with a guy that was 72. Been playing his whole life and he was the meanest guy I have ever played against. He used to play like he was still back in the 50's and 60's (Old Time Hockey). I saw him more than once slash a guys gloves off. He couldn't move too quick anymore but he knew where to be and didn't waste any steps getting there. He was pretty efficient.

Steelhead16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Keetz

70`s I remember one guy was 70 for several years. No one really knew how old he was. And the other guy had the best hands just no speed, but constantly argued with the refs.

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 10:09 AM
frito

I'vs seen at least one guy in out beer league that's in his 50's or 60's. There's another guy WHO STARTED PLAYING at age 52. He's upper 50's now. There's a handful of guys who started playing in their forties. They gave up softball and took up hockey because it's easier on their joints (less pounding from the running). A couple years back on the cover of USA Hockey Magazine they had a picture of a 92 year old guy at the Snoopy Classic in CA. He only skated a few laps but was in full gear and out there. As long as your breathing, keep playing.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 01:52 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
In my tuesday night games there's a guy that's 85. He kinda shuffles his feet to skate instead of taking a full stride, but he's got pretty good hands. Back home in Indy there was a guy on the scene that I would venture to guess was in his late 50s, early 60s and could out-play most of the guys out there. I've seen him take shots at the goalie where he told him where he was gonna put it and the goalie still couldn't stop it.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 02:00 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
There's another guy WHO STARTED PLAYING at age 52. He's upper 50's now. There's a handful of guys who started playing in their forties.

Relatively common in Southern California. Especially given the recent success of the Ducks, I see it more and more.

Old
01-23-2008, 01:59 AM
Ulic

I've played with a guy in his 70's. He couldn't keep pace with speed but could make plays well and did fine with the team. Another guy in his 60's skated great and nearly lead the team in points. Thats the great thing about hockey; you can continue to play at a fairly competitive level your entire life. I think that the older you get the more important it is for you to play more often. The guy in his 60's played on two teams and at least 3 times a week. It takes more work but it certainly isn't a definite rule that age will slow you down.

Ulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 02:53 AM
Rickety Cricket

its not in a league, but at the old rink i used to work at there is a guy who comes to pickups who is in his mid 70's. he picked up the game after retirement. not the greatest player but tries. whenever he shoots on me its a lose-lose situation. if i stop it, i feel bad, but i also dont wanna be the guy who gives up a goal to him.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 07:27 AM
octopi

vCash: 844
When I played pick up , a couple timessome guy on the other team looked to be at least in his mid 60's. I took that as my cue (I was about 24, but slowish) to try and defend him(The other players were too fast)

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 11:19 AM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keetz View Post
70`s I remember one guy was 70 for several years.
How can he be 70 for more than 1 year?

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 11:49 AM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post

i dont want to speak for the OP, but Im guessing any time you asked the guy how old he was, he said "70"

and this carried on for several years.

Old
01-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post
He traveled in a rocket near lightspeed between games.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 01:37 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I've played with guys in their 50s. However I've heard from teammates of guys who were in their 60s and such playing and not only being good but also being one of the best players on the team . Gives me some hope .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Sensfanman

While it's not exactly been done, I still want to share. If my dad never had a really bad shoulder injury (it's permanently popped out, ligament damage, didn't opt for surgery) he'd still be playing. He was playing till about 34 when he had the injury, and he's been coaching every since. He's 51 now and I almost sure he'd been in a old timer's league if he could still do it.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 12:08 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Oldest guy I skated with was 75 years old, and his name was Jack. He used to skate in a beer league, and he passed away a few years ago. He was pretty good, he even skated with Charles Schulz (sp) (the snoopy guy) in a few of his tournaments he held in california. They had a super senior division he was in that was 70+, and Jack used to complain about some of the "old guys that were too old and slow" for his liking! I chuckle today even typing it! He was a great guy and had played the game his whole life, and it kept him young at heart as well.

-DC

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Nbr-17

My father in law played from age 4 to 82
He's so upset he can't play anymore.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:21 PM
CheeseSandwich*

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
While it's not exactly been done, I still want to share. If my dad never had a really bad shoulder injury (it's permanently popped out, ligament damage, didn't opt for surgery) he'd still be playing. He was playing till about 34 when he had the injury, and he's been coaching every since. He's 51 now and I almost sure he'd been in a old timer's league if he could still do it.
my dad would have been in the nfl if he hadn't hurt his knee as a young boy.

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote