HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr Hopes Rangers Will Still Want Him

Old
01-24-2008, 07:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Jagr Hopes Rangers Will Still Want Him

Quote:
It's never about personal numbers in hockey. Except for this. If Jaromir Jagr does not finish the regular season with at least 84 points while the Rangers win at least one round in the playoffs, No. 68's contract will expire at the end of the season.

"It's not really on my mind whether I'm going to be a free agent or not," Jagr told The Post yesterday. "The only thing that bothers me is that even if I do become a free agent, I would like to continue playing next year in the NHL and in New York, no other place, but we have to do good this year because why keep someone around if they don't do it?
Quote:
"I don't want to leave here," said Jagr, who can also trigger the option year by winning the Conn Smythe as playoff MVP if he doesn't get to 84 points. "I feel like I can do a lot of good things for my team"
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01242008...ins_859741.htm

He needs 38 points in 32 games to fulfill his end of the deal

The Rangers could bring him back on a 1 year deal(multi-year deals for players age 35 and older count against the cap past the first season)but another season of up and down play and questions of whether or not he is happy with his surrounding cast

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Smashley

Awww, Big Guy....*Sniff*

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 07:21 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Awww, Big Guy....*Sniff*
Agreed.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Levitate

I'll readily agree that he has underperformed for most of this year, but I still don't think the team problem lies with him. I'd be happy to have him back as long as the rest of the team continues to move forward

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 07:38 AM
David Puddy

Does anyone know if Washington will have to pay half of the contract if Jagr reaches 84 PTS and the Rangers reach the 2nd Round? I would imagine that the would, but a Rangers fan may know for certain.

David Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 07:49 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
Does anyone know if Washington will have to pay half of the contract if Jagr reaches 84 PTS and the Rangers reach the 2nd Round? I would imagine that the would, but a Rangers fan may know for certain.

Jagr needs either

84 points plus Rangers in the 2nd round

OR

Conne Smythe Trophy

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:13 AM
mstraka82

Love You Jags!!!!!!!

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Stoney La Rock

Quote:
When I play bad, people don't ever just say that I'm playing bad, they always say that I don't care, or I'm unhappy, or I'm not trying, or I lost interest," said Jagr, who turns 36 on Feb. 15. "Maybe it's a compliment that people don't think that I can just play bad, I don't know . . .
Oops, sorry Jags. Guilty as charged. Now I feel bad. Conrad Birdie moment:

We love you Jagr,
Oh yes we do,
We love you Jagr,
And we'll be true,
If you don't trigger your option,
We'll be blue,
Oh Jagr, we love you.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:23 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Yes. They would continue to pay half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Post
Regarding the option-year triggers that would automatically extend Jagr's contract for one more season at his current $8.36M salary and current $4.94M cap charge against the Rangers: By recording 24 points (6-18) in the 18 games since he was reunited on Dec. 18 with Scott Gomez, Jagr goes into tonight's Brian Leetch Night against Atlanta with 46 points (15-31) in 50 games overall. He needs 38 points in the final 32 games to hit the mark, certainly an attainable objective.
It's in the article the OP posted.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Get your ass in gear then, save the sob story for some other jackasses.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
This article restored a lot of respect for the big guy for me. it's nice that he's acknowledge the criticisms he receives and is aware how he needs to play for this team to win.

Quote:
Yes. "the option-year triggers that would automatically extend Jagr's contract for one more season at his current $8.36M salary and current $4.94M cap charge against the Rangers"

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:38 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The Captain

Make it Happen JJ

Believe

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:50 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
"I believe in myself and I believe in this team. I do. Now we have to do it, all of us. If we do, I don't have to think about next year, because they'll want me here . . . at least I hope so.

Old
01-24-2008, 08:53 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Get your ass in gear then, save the sob story for some other jackasses.
Indeed, get the cement out of your skates captain.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Honestly, I think the team can do a lot with a $5M cap hit. Maybe not marquee names, just 2 or 3 players to fill key roles.

Best case scenario for the Rangers is that Jagr doesn't hit the trigger and, IF he has a place in the lineup next year, comes back with an incentive laden contract. An argument can certainly be made however that it's in the best interest of the team to move forward rather than trying to cater to him for another season.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:02 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

This guy has been one of my favorite players for a long time, and when sather messed up the first time trying to get him I was upset because he could have turned the franchise around when he was still young or at least under 30 in 2001. Lindros was never the answer, just a quick fix for the mistake of being lazy and not landing JJ. He has been a blessing for this team even at the age of 32, 33 when we acquired him. He put up huge point totals that weren't expected because his numbers had started to decline in his last couple years in washington. He was rejuvenated and has been since, he's still one of the best and I'd gladly take him back next year to be with cherepanov.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:03 AM
TheHotRock

he'll be back, we know he will. we're not gonna find a player of his caliber on the open market. Yea, a guy like Huselius would look good next to Gomer, but c'mon, this is Jags...he's still a baller.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Honestly, I think the team can do a lot with a $5M cap hit. Maybe not marquee names, just 2 or 3 players to fill key roles.

Best case scenario for the Rangers is that Jagr doesn't hit the trigger and, IF he has a place in the lineup next year, comes back with an incentive laden contract. An argument can certainly be made however that it's in the best interest of the team to move forward rather than trying to cater to him for another season.
You think it's possible to find 2-3 key players and pay them 5M$ total?
Wow...maybe 15 years ago.
And good luck to find top6 winger who can do almost 1 ppg for 5M$ next year.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Other Little Mikey

So hypothetically, if Jagr was traded, would the same terms apply to his new team? 84 points + second round or Conn Smythe? I'm assuming it does, since this is his Washington contract still, yes? Just idle speculation, obviously, but I wondered how that would affect a team's willingness to trade for him, since a playoff rental who will be UFA at the end of the season is different than a guy who's signed for a $5 million cap hit next year. Interesting.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:18 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

So, as long as he dominates in the SCF, he's set. Nothing to worry about.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Chimp

I would want Jagr back, but for the right price and if he can change his style of play. He holds the puck for too long, while at the same time not moving enough. He drags down the tempo on the PP immensely.

Jagr for about the same cap hit as now is a no brainer according to me. As much as you can get disappointed in him for his flaws this season, just as much you need to remember what a dangerous player he still is and how much fear he still puts in defensemen throughout the league.

I also think it's ridiculous with all the constant "Jagr doesn't care" rants that takes outrageous proportions when he underperforms. As he himself said, do people think it's impossible for him to hit cold streaks? I don't think I've ever seen a "Jagr is on a cold streak" or "Jagr played bad tonight" post on this board, especially from fans from other teams. However, I've seen hundreds of "Jagr doesn't care" posts. I think it's pretty obvious Jagr would have stopped playing hockey a long time ago if he didn't care.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-24-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

what kind of players (multiple) are the Rangers going to get for $5 mill that can fill "key roles"? At $2.5 apiece, you're looking at borderline second liners, probably third liners, or a third pairing defenseman. Not that a good team doesn't need those players, but if Jagr, Straka, and Shanahan all leave after this year, the team is going to be hurting for top line players (though you can make the argument that Shanahan hasn't been a top line player this year)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:56 AM
cjdv16

wow. i guess the "woah as me" act from jagr has finally gotten to the fan base.

my pop's a ranger fan and for years has complained about jagr's attitude. comments like "i guess i'm not good anyone" and "maybe some team might want me" were uttered in past season's where jagr was on top of his game.

they were typically stated by jagr in a sarcastic (and pompous) manner to downplay trade talk and other media hype.

now, he's still throwing those same comments out there with the exception that he's not being sarcastic.

i think this guy's gotta get over himself and just focus on hockey. otherwise, what a friggin' big whining baby.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:04 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo23 View Post
So, as long as he dominates in the SCF, he's set. Nothing to worry about.

all part of his master plan

Old
01-24-2008, 10:07 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I would want Jagr back, but for the right price and if he can change his style of play
He's 6 points away from entering the top ten scorers of ALL TIME and you want him to change his style of play?