HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leetch Comments on Being Traded Away, Still Harbors Bad Feelings

Old
01-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Turambar

vCash: 500
Leetch Comments on Being Traded Away, Still Harbors Bad Feelings

Per Rick Carpiniello:

"And Leetch made it clear that he still harbors bad feelings about the way he was dealt away, cutting short his chance to play his entire career in New York. Leetch said that after the first few lousy non-playoff years, he felt the next year would be better. By the time he realized it wasn’t getting better, he decided then that he wanted to be part of the solution, to be here to help restore pride in the team.

http://carp.lohudblogs.com/2008/01/23/no-2-goes-up-tomorrow/

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 09:54 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Wow, imagine if Leetch had come back to the Rangers...

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Shadowtron

Jeff...you gotta be mindful of the copyright rule on this board. You posted more than half of Carp's article. You may want to cut down your quote down to a line or two and then the link.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

get over it.....

enjoy the great night put the negativity in the past where it belongs.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Great quote from the same article:

Quote:
"Obviously both being Americans and being so close in age, and going through so many cool things together - a few All-Star teams together, the Stanley Cup, three Olympic teams, junior national teams, World Cup teams, just awesome opportunities,'' Richter said. "But I have to (wonder), if there was no Brian Leetch, if I'd be in that position. I mean, an awful lot of my success was bound up with that guy's ability. I've always felt, you know, 'Who benefits by having a Hall of Famer on defense basically every game I played from the time I was 18?'

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Jeff...you gotta be mindful of the copyright rule on this board. You posted more than half of Carp's article. You may want to cut down your quote down to a line or two and then the link.
I appreciate the tip, but I didn't think I posted too much of it. There was quite a lot I left out. What's the actual rule, is it as you said, that it cannot be more than half? All I could find in the site rules was that it can't be more than 20 lines, which what I posted wasn't..

Old
01-24-2008, 10:53 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
I appreciate the tip, but I didn't think I posted too much of it. There was quite a lot I left out. What's the actual rule, is it as you said, that it cannot be more than half? All I could find in the site rules was that it can't be more than 20 lines, which what I posted wasn't..
From the Site Rules:

Copyrighted Material: Generally you can assume that anything you find online is copyrighted. We prefer you post a synopsis in your own words and the link to the article. It's permissible to quote up to 20 lines of text and you must provide commentary. DO NOT POST ENTIRE ARTICLES. If you have a question about copyrights see Brad Templeton's 10 Big Myths about copyright explained

01-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
No problem. To me, it seemed like there was too much of the article there. The blog entry itself wasn't that long, so copying 25-30 lines of it, when it may only be 50 in total is, IMO, more than what is deemed appropriate on THIS site. Typically, people quote a line or two, then provide the link. In any event...I've taken us a bit off topic. So let's just move on a continue with what should be a very good discussion.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:05 AM
clmetsfan

I can understand where Leetch is coming from, and believe me I admire the man for not wanting to bail and seek individual glory elsewhere. But at the same time, he has to be able to see it from the other side. He was the Rangers most valuable chip at the deadline that year, so by not dealing him then the team would have been hurting itself in the rebuilding process.

So in that respect, Leetch WAS part of the solution, just not in the way that he wanted.

Either way, the way his Ranger tenure ended did nothing to diminish what he did in the red white and blue jersey. And that's what we're celebrating tonight.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Well, considering I still harbor bad feelings about it too, I can't say I blame the guy.

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:23 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo23 View Post
Wow, imagine if Leetch had come back to the Rangers...
the ceremony is BEFORE the preskate........

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:28 AM
zacn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
get over it.....

I think he is 'over it.' He is clearly stating that he is going to enjoy the night and still wants to be remembered first and foremost as a ranger. His point, which he only made when questioned, is that it hurt when Sather traded him after telling him otherwise. That's a fair thing to keep a bad taste in your mouth about when you so clearly love the team you were playing for. His resentment sounds like it solely focused on Sather's actions and I wouldn't read any deeper into it. I am appreciative that he answered the question honestly when it would have been very easy to dance around it.

Last edited by zacn: 01-24-2008 at 11:37 AM.
zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:32 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
get over it.....

To his defense the question was asked to him. He wasn't the one to bring it up. Would you have rather him say, "I'm over it. I'm glad I was a New York Ranger but it's a business," when it clearly would be a flat out lie? Players like Brian Leetch are better than the business. You don't trade arguably the most valuable player in franchise history to get a bunch of non-elite caliber prospects. You think the Devils will ever trade Brodeur even if they were in 14th place in the conference? It's just one of those things that you never do in sports.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:48 AM
rangers16*

i heard renny offered him to come back before the 2006-2007 season and with the trade why would you trade hime yeah we werent making the playoffs but he been a ranger his whole carrear why trade him and not lindros ,holik.poti,dunham,hlvac,or mironov yeah hlvac and mironov were not big players but could of got draft picks for him why did sather trade leetch and not holik or lindros dosent make sense all the players on the list were free agents at season end

rangers16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers16 View Post
i heard renny offered him to come back before the 2006-2007 season and with the trade why would you trade hime yeah we werent making the playoffs but he been a ranger his whole carrear why trade him and not lindros ,holik.poti,dunham,hlvac,or mironov yeah hlvac and mironov were not big players but could of got draft picks for him why did sather trade leetch and not holik or lindros dosent make sense all the players on the list were free agents at season end
I'm sorry, but can you please mix in some sort of punctuation. I have no idea what you are trying to say.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
From the Site Rules:

Copyrighted Material: Generally you can assume that anything you find online is copyrighted. We prefer you post a synopsis in your own words and the link to the article. It's permissible to quote up to 20 lines of text and you must provide commentary. DO NOT POST ENTIRE ARTICLES. If you have a question about copyrights see Brad Templeton's 10 Big Myths about copyright explained
Ok, sorry I didn't provide commentary, but it wasn't more than 20 lines, and it surely wasn't the entire article.

Old
01-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Turambar

Quote:
I'm sorry, but can you please mix in some sort of punctuation. I have no idea what you are trying to say.
hey, I see at least four commas and a period in there.

Old
01-24-2008, 12:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Ok, sorry I didn't provide commentary, but it wasn't more than 20 lines, and it surely wasn't the entire article.
If you provide a link, you really don't need to post that much of the article. Pick a choice sentence or two be provocative and then people can go to the site and read the rest.

Old
01-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Turambar

Quote:
If you provide a link, you really don't need to post that much of the article. Pick a choice sentence or two be provocative and then people can go to the site and read the rest.
gotcha.

Old
01-24-2008, 01:07 PM
PavelBure9

Was the trade right of Sather?

To me, as much as many die-hard Ranger fans are pissed to hear this from another die-hard fan, the team had to go in a different direction during the time. They werem't winning, Leetch had no chance of winning a championship if he stayed in NY, and although Leetch was nowhere near the problem, he was not the solution to the Rangers woes. It was obvious that new young players such as Prucha, Lundqvist, Staal, and others that would be acquired through the draft or during the Great Purge of 04' would be the right move. This had to be one of Sather's best moves as GM. We say right now we can't win with old veteren's that were past there prime. That included Brian Leetch. Now, in term's of PR, Sather made himmself public enemy #1. But, was it the right move. Unfortuntly, yes.

PavelBure9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguinetti 34567 View Post
To me, as much as many die-hard Ranger fans are pissed to hear this from another die-hard fan, the team had to go in a different direction during the time. They werem't winning, Leetch had no chance of winning a championship if he stayed in NY, and although Leetch was nowhere near the problem, he was not the solution to the Rangers woes. It was obvious that new young players such as Prucha, Lundqvist, Staal, and others that would be acquired through the draft or during the Great Purge of 04' would be the right move. This had to be one of Sather's best moves as GM. We say right now we can't win with old veteren's that were past there prime. That included Brian Leetch. Now, in term's of PR, Sather made himmself public enemy #1. But, was it the right move. Unfortuntly, yes.
That move did not turn out to be that great.

And Prucha, Lundqvist and Staal really didn't exist when the trade was made.

Old
01-24-2008, 01:17 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
That move did not turn out to be that great.

And Prucha, Lundqvist and Staal really didn't exist when the trade was made.
Exactly. Sather got 100% lucky.

He wasn't saying, "look, we have Prucha, Lundqvist and all of these great young players."

He was saying, "look, we have Kondratiev, Lampman, Balej, and all of these great young players."

To quote Sather before the 2005-2006 season (and it's a bit paraphrased), " It will be great if we make the playoffs, but right now our main goal is to keep building up the youth."

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Stoney La Rock

It wasn't the trade itself that ticked me off as much as the way it was done. I've seen gas station attendent firings handled with more class. But tonight is Leetchie's night and I'm really happy for him.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Sather had further run the franchise into the ground. If he had done his job correctly from the start, there never would have been a need to trade Leetch. And I have/had a big problem with the (at the time) least popular person in the organization getting to trade the most popular.

Old
01-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

leetchy needs to get over it though. i totally agree that it sucked he was traded, it was sickening to see him in another jersey, but its been long enough for him to be over it by now. i know hes probably more upset by the way it was handled (the way he found out about it), rather than the trade itself, but still, after a while you gotta let it go.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote