Kovalev and McLaren's bizarre final shifts at Forum

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 07:27 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Kovalev and McLaren's bizarre final shifts at Forum

If the Canadiens are eliminated tomorrow night the final shift Alexi Kovalev likely plays as a Canadien at the Bell Center will be one of the most bizarre plays I have ever seen in Bruins watching since 1966; its unlikely he will return to Habs; how ironic is that in the last game 4 of a Bruins-Canadien playoff Kyle McLaren played his final shift as a Bruin on an equally memorable moment- both are controversal and I have read countless posts on what McLaren did that are 180 degrees from what he said to friends really happened which also happened to be what I originally happened. Now we will have the Green hack job that 20 years from now will be remembered as Lizzy Bordenesque. Anyone who has played Bantom hockey or above has done that same whack a zillion times. Personally, I would rather have it end that way than a nice clean 2 on 1 finish. To ask for Green's head is the most ludicrous bs I have read on these boards- both teams have hacked and whacked not this game but for years. To think guys like Wayne Cashman, Derek Sanderson, Bobby Schmautz, Keith Crowder, Doug Risebrough, Mario Trembley, John Ferguson, Shane Corson, Claude Lemieux, and Nuckles and Jay Miller weren't doing worse is close minded.
and as any Red Sox fan who remember 1986 knows that two weeks from now the shoe may be on the other foot....

Last edited by DKH: 04-14-2004 at 07:34 AM.
Old
04-14-2004, 07:43 AM
wensink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
If the Canadiens are eliminated tomorrow night the final shift Alexi Kovalev likely plays as a Canadien at the Bell Center will be one of the most bizarre plays I have ever seen in Bruins watching since 1966; its unlikely he will return to Habs; how ironic is that in the last game 4 of a Bruins-Canadien playoff Kyle McLaren played his final shift as a Bruin on an equally memorable moment- both are controversal and I have read countless posts on what McLaren did that are 180 degrees from what he said to friends really happened which also happened to be what I originally happened. Now we will have the Green hack job that 20 years from now will be remembered as Lizzy Bordenesque. Anyone who has played Bantom hockey or above has done that same whack a zillion times. Personally, I would rather have it end that way than a nice clean 2 on 1 finish. To ask for Green's head is the most ludicrous bs I have read on these boards- both teams have hacked and whacked not this game but for years. To think guys like Wayne Cashman, Derek Sanderson, Bobby Schmautz, Keith Crowder, Doug Risebrough, Mario Trembley, John Ferguson, Shane Corson, Claude Lemieux, and Nuckles and Jay Miller weren't doing worse is close minded.
and as any Red Sox fan who remember 1986 knows that two weeks from now the shoe may be on the other foot....

If Ribiero did that to a B's player. Do you think the Hab's fans would be saying they cheated in order to win?

Bottom line. It was a slash. A minor one. It will never get called in OT because it hit him on the glove.

The ref could have justified everything by calling Green for the slash & Kovalov for the unsportsmanlike.

He didn't. Should we give the game back??

Old
04-14-2004, 08:16 AM
Mad-Marcus

The HABs have had enough hatchet men in their history to keep their collective mouths shut.

1.)C Lemeuix, did every little dirty trick to get under opposition skin, just like Greeney
2.)C Nilan, the ultimate in dirty play, butt end on Middleton
3.)P Svoboda, little stick swing rat

What happened last night is poetic justice and you can thank Fibiero for all the no calls.

Payback is a female dog! Live with it.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:51 AM
BruinsGirl

After seeing Ribeiro scored 2 last night I hope Kovalev won't get any tomorrow!

God shouldn't be helping them after such unsportsman like displays...

Old
04-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
The B's need to get the lead in Game 5. Coming back like that in Game 4 was quite an accomplishment, but really, Raycroft deserves major kudos for keeping them alive. They just cannot use the rope-a-dope method again. I feel the play has generally been quite even overall, but Montreal has had a greater number of top scoring chances and that imbalance can't continue. The B's might be trying their luck if they do not storm the gates in the first 10 minute and try to build a 1 or 2 goal lead exiting the first period.

How long until Game 5?? If feels like every off day lasts about 72 hours right now. God, the B's have really come a long way since last Spring, this is great.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:00 AM
08Neely
Blades of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensink
If Ribiero did that to a B's player. Do you think the Hab's fans would be saying they cheated in order to win?

Bottom line. It was a slash. A minor one. It will never get called in OT because it hit him on the glove.

The ref could have justified everything by calling Green for the slash & Kovalov for the unsportsmanlike.

He didn't. Should we give the game back??

You hit the nail right on the head
I think they both could've and should've got the gate for that

Old
04-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Mike B.

Yes, Travis Green slashed Kovalev and a penalty could have been called.

But...

1. Green's slash was far less blatant than a lot of stuff that the refs were letting go in the game, on both sides. In the first OT, Knuble was held, preventing a clean break. Several Canadiens were mugged during OT. Shortly before the game ended, a Bruin was trying to get to a loose puck to clear the zone, and he was hauled down from behind (but still managed to clear the puck).

2. Earlier in the OT, Kovalev drew a cheap (compared to the stuff the refs were letting go) call on Murray.

Based on what the refs had already done, calling the slash on Green would have been a bad call.

In any case, if Kovalev continued to actually play hockey after the slash, the game might still be going on... the collision with Souray happened because Souray went after the loose puck and didn't realize that Kovalev had already quit.

So which hab is going to fake an injury in the closing seconds of tomorrow's game?

Closed Thread