HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Julien throwing in the towel ?

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 04:16 AM
Les Zarbites

vCash: 500
Julien throwing in the towel ?

I'll preface this by saying I'm still highly emotional about the whole thing so maybe I'm completely off the mark. And I sure hope people can tell if I am overblowing it. Respectfully hopefully...

When the bruins tied the game I thought, there's no way the habs have any kind of momentum or confidence going into OT. I imagined scenarios of the Bruins swarming the net in the first two minutes and getting away with this one early on in OT 01-02 Carolina Style. Useless to say that I was more than impressed at the way our habs came out in both OT. The 1st line was everywhere and everyone looked on the same page. I really was inspired by their play and thought they would win this one. It didn't happen.

Forward to Kovalev being slashed and holding his hand. His hand seems hurting. He makes a mistake by not playing the puck through the pain. Then Souray - still not emerging from his seeminly drug induced slumber - doesn't even make an effort to sidestep him and proceed by hitting his teamate while he was hurt. On the ensuing play Murray takes off on a breakaway. After the last 3 putrid performances by Theodore I had no faith left in him at that point. I just knew the bruins would end it right there. Altough a difficult save to make Theodore wasn't covering his net well and gave a lot of room to Murray to shoot at. And a good sniper like Murray wouldn't miss such a chance. So that was it and I was left shaking my head in disbelief at the way it had all ended.

At that point I was pretty disapointed. But there were a lot of positives out of the game and I thought that the way we played the last three games there was still a chance we could win the next 3. A slim one but a chance nonetheless.

But that was all before hearing Julien's and Souray's comments.

To me Kovalev was instrumental in the habs performances the last 3 games. He's the gamebreaker we desperatly need with Zednik and Ryder not being able to buy a goal. There's no way we're currently heading to Boston on thursday without Kovalev.

So I'm left shaking my head in disbelief at those comments. Certainly you don't hope to boost Kovalev's confidence by publicly lambasting him like this. And you most assuredly need Kovalev's gamebreaking skills if you ever hold any hope of winning this series.

So where does that leave us ? Doesn't it feel to you people like Julien is throwing in the towel ? I think it was pretty bush league from Julien and Souray to go out there and publicly diss him. I hope they all make me lie but it really feels like they just killed what was left of the habs chances to come back and win these series. If Kovalev had done nothing the last 3 games I could have understood them making those comments. But Kovalev is one of the main reason why we were in such a good position to tie this series 2-2 with one minute left. And if we are to win this series he has to be one of the go-to player. So unless CJ plans to sit him or demote him I really don't get this professional suicide. After all Gainey was the one who traded a good prospect for Kovalev and CJ still doesn't have a contract. So what's the use to say what CJ said ?

I also find it particularly hard to swallow that it's Souray and Julien making those comments since both guys can be held accountable for a share of the blame about the situation we're in right now. Souray has been far from stellar in this series. And also if he had been awaken he might have been able to sidestep Kovalev and bail his teamate out while he was in pain. But I don't really blame him. Chances are he's hiding an injury and it keeps him from being as good as we know he can be. Also we might be in a better position now if CJ had pulled his head out of his arse and had played Kovalev on RW of Koivu and Zednik from the get go.

So after thinking about it I really don't like it all that much that those guys are pointing fingers. The only guys in there that have acquired the right to say those things would be Koivu and Gainey in my book. Julien and Souray sure didn't have.

I don't know about you guys but I get the feeling we'll hear about a Kovalev injury keeping him out for the remainder of the playoffs.

Old
04-14-2004, 04:27 AM
BMRBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
I'll preface this by saying I'm still highly emotional about the whole thing so maybe I'm completely off the mark. And I sure hope people can tell if I am overblowing it. Respectfully hopefully...

When the bruins tied the game I thought, there's no way the habs have any kind of momentum or confidence going into OT. I imagined scenarios of the Bruins swarming the net in the first two minutes and getting away with this one early on in OT 01-02 Carolina Style. Useless to say that I was more than impressed at the way our habs came out in both OT. The 1st line was everywhere and everyone looked on the same page. I really was inspired by their play and thought they would win this one. It didn't happen.

Forward to Kovalev being slashed and holding his hand. His hand seems hurting. He makes a mistake by not playing the puck through the pain. Then Souray - still not emerging from his seeminly drug induced slumber - doesn't even make an effort to sidestep him and proceed by hitting his teamate while he was hurt. On the ensuing play Murray takes off on a breakaway. After the last 3 putrid performances by Theodore I had no faith left in him at that point. I just knew the bruins would end it right there. Altough a difficult save to make Theodore wasn't covering his net well and gave a lot of room to Murray to shoot at. And a good sniper like Murray wouldn't miss such a chance. So that was it and I was left shaking my head in disbelief at the way it had all ended.

At that point I was pretty disapointed. But there were a lot of positives out of the game and I thought that the way we played the last three games there was still a chance we could win the next 3. A slim one but a chance nonetheless.

But that was all before hearing Julien's and Souray's comments.

To me Kovalev was instrumental in the habs performances the last 3 games. He's the gamebreaker we desperatly need with Zednik and Ryder not being able to buy a goal. There's no way we're currently heading to Boston on thursday without Kovalev.

So I'm left shaking my head in disbelief at those comments. Certainly you don't hope to boost Kovalev's confidence by publicly lambasting him like this. And you most assuredly need Kovalev's gamebreaking skills if you ever hold any hope of winning this series.

So where does that leave us ? Doesn't it feel to you people like Julien is throwing in the towel ? I think it was pretty bush league from Julien and Souray to go out there and publicly diss him. I hope they all make me lie but it really feels like they just killed what was left of the habs chances to come back and win these series. If Kovalev had done nothing the last 3 games I could have understood them making those comments. But Kovalev is one of the main reason why we were in such a good position to tie this series 2-2 with one minute left. And if we are to win this series he has to be one of the go-to player. So unless CJ plans to sit him or demote him I really don't get this professional suicide. After all Gainey was the one who traded a good prospect for Kovalev and CJ still doesn't have a contract. So what's the use to say what CJ said ?

I also find it particularly hard to swallow that it's Souray and Julien making those comments since both guys can be held accountable for a share of the blame about the situation we're in right now. Souray has been far from stellar in this series. And also if he had been awaken he might have been able to sidestep Kovalev and bail his teamate out while he was in pain. But I don't really blame him. Chances are he's hiding an injury and it keeps him from being as good as we know he can be. Also we might be in a better position now if CJ had pulled his head out of his arse and had played Kovalev on RW of Koivu and Zednik from the get go.

So after thinking about it I really don't like it all that much that those guys are pointing fingers. The only guys in there that have acquired the right to say those things would be Koivu and Gainey in my book. Julien and Souray sure didn't have.

I don't know about you guys but I get the feeling we'll hear about a Kovalev injury keeping him out for the remainder of the playoffs.
Perhaps Julien has a problem with Kovalev personally and this is simply a public manifestation of it. Wasn't it Julien who put Kovalev on the fourth line in game one?

Old
04-14-2004, 04:32 AM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
Habsolution, I agree on everything you just said and feel the same as you.

About Julien and Souray, and after seeing how emotional i was after the loss, i can't blame them for being emotional too. Journalist are smart and i imagine they were all over the locker room to pick the comments. That being said, what exactly could have said Julien? Refs were not there? this is an obvious one again. He only said what he thought and i can't blame him for that. In the playoffs you have to jump in front of the shots and play like your life depends on it.

just watch Rivet... He blocked so many shots i lost count and i was so happy he did considering Theodore was so nervous right now he made ME be nervous.( Then again people blame him for the last play that lead to the 3-3 goal.)

Julien is the coach and has to say what was bad and what he doesn't like to see. I'm sure that without the emotional depression, he would have added that this game was a good one offensively because of kovalev and Ribeiro. CJ is human and those are the playoffs. Souray, on the other hand, is a complete different story. I'm sure that if places were switched between him and Kovalev, he would have kept playing without both his arms holding the stick with his mouth to try to end the play. he just couldn't believe Kovalev stopped the play. I can't argue with that.

The only thing i think would save the situation would be a talk between all of them tomorrow when spirits cool down.

Last edited by Catala: 04-14-2004 at 04:38 AM.
Old
04-14-2004, 10:11 AM
jcpenny

I mad at kovalev but at souray too. He clearly saw Kovy letting the puck go and didnt hurry to get the puck. He could have thrown the puck to Theo or something. He shouldnt have open his mouth like that at the end. How Theo didnt make the save on Knuble at the end? At least he could have poke the puck that was rigt in front of him. Those Three goals hurt alot.

Closed Thread