HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr Hopes Rangers Will Still Want Him

Old
01-24-2008, 10:09 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
So hypothetically, if Jagr was traded, would the same terms apply to his new team? 84 points + second round or Conn Smythe? I'm assuming it does, since this is his Washington contract still, yes? Just idle speculation, obviously, but I wondered how that would affect a team's willingness to trade for him, since a playoff rental who will be UFA at the end of the season is different than a guy who's signed for a $5 million cap hit next year. Interesting.

The Rangers will have to be clearly out of it by the deadline for Sather to even think about trading his best player. And thats not going to happen.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:10 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The reactions in this thread to that interview are interesting huh?

Some hear him and say wow, new respect

Some hear him and say wow, boo hoo lets trade him

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:11 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

I wish I could find the quotes from Jagr's mouth where he says "I am not not happy here" or "I miss Michael, I cannot function."

I still cannot figure out how people categorize him as lazy. Then again, 54 goals and a +34 two years ago and he was still "lazy", "refused to back check" and "loafed around like he lost his puppy'.

01-24-2008, 10:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Honestly, I think the team can do a lot with a $5M cap hit. Maybe not marquee names, just 2 or 3 players to fill key roles.

Best case scenario for the Rangers is that Jagr doesn't hit the trigger and, IF he has a place in the lineup next year, comes back with an incentive laden contract. An argument can certainly be made however that it's in the best interest of the team to move forward rather than trying to cater to him for another season.
Yep,a player age 35 or older can sign a one year contract with performance bonuses

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:54 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
what kind of players (multiple) are the Rangers going to get for $5 mill that can fill "key roles"? At $2.5 apiece, you're looking at borderline second liners, probably third liners, or a third pairing defenseman. Not that a good team doesn't need those players, but if Jagr, Straka, and Shanahan all leave after this year, the team is going to be hurting for top line players (though you can make the argument that Shanahan hasn't been a top line player this year)
Correct...

How you would not want a guy like Jagr who counts at 5 mill is beyond anyone...

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 12:31 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Honestly, I think the team can do a lot with a $5M cap hit. Maybe not marquee names, just 2 or 3 players to fill key roles.

Best case scenario for the Rangers is that Jagr doesn't hit the trigger and, IF he has a place in the lineup next year, comes back with an incentive laden contract. An argument can certainly be made however that it's in the best interest of the team to move forward rather than trying to cater to him for another season.
Yes.. getting rid of Nylander was catering to him.. and he's not worth the money even though he'll end up with at least a point per game...

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
He's 6 points away from entering the top ten scorers of ALL TIME and you want him to change his style of play?
If talking about his behaviour on the PP, hell yes. Every day of the week. He has also tried to correct himself more after how Gomez wants to play.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 12:50 PM
NYR Viper

jagr the first 15 games- no way in hell would i want him back on this team

jagr since then- would give him a deal like shanahan's, about 5 million a year or 5.5 so that the rangers can have a scoring winger to bridge the gap between shannny and jags and all the youngsters......plus, cheraponov idolizes him and he seems to be a great guy in the locker room no matter what people specualte.....also, gomez and he finally seem to be getting some chemistry and turning into a great line with whoever else is on it......thats the type of first line a team needs......he should be resigned for a year

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:02 PM
eco's bones

I wasn't sure he wanted to come back. Let's see anyway what he does in the next few weeks. Maybe he can resurrect his season and the Rangers will go up in the standings.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
The Rangers will have to be clearly out of it by the deadline for Sather to even think about trading his best player. And thats not going to happen.
Oh, I know. That's why I used words like "hypothetically" and "speculation".

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Bury Your Head

IMO, if Jags doesn't reach his triggers (doesn't reach 84 points but we still make the playoffs, etc.) I think he would still sign with the Rangers for a reduced price, if we wanted him.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
what kind of players (multiple) are the Rangers going to get for $5 mill that can fill "key roles"? At $2.5 apiece, you're looking at borderline second liners, probably third liners, or a third pairing defenseman. Not that a good team doesn't need those players, but if Jagr, Straka, and Shanahan all leave after this year, the team is going to be hurting for top line players (though you can make the argument that Shanahan hasn't been a top line player this year)
This team could be well served by replacing Strudwick and Malik with a pair of $2.5M defenseman IMO. I haven't thought about who or for how much, but it would be hard to image you couldn't upgrade those positions with this budget.

Not that it matters when all this money is being thrown into 1 big pot. The money Jagr, Mara, Rozsvial, Shanny, Avery, Straka and Malik earn will all be put on the table. Dole it out any way you want as long as the holes are filled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
Yes.. getting rid of Nylander was catering to him.. and he's not worth the money even though he'll end up with at least a point per game...
I'm not even engaging in another one of these foolish Nylander discussions.

Who said he's not worth the money? All I'm advocating is the option to bring back Jagr or not at a price that the Rangers can live with rather than being forced to bring him back at a price that's already been agreed upon. How is cap flexibility bad in this day and age?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
This team could be well served by replacing Strudwick and Malik with a pair of $2.5M defenseman IMO. I haven't thought about who or for how much, but it would be hard to image you couldn't upgrade those positions with this budget.

Not that it matters when all this money is being thrown into 1 big pot. The money Jagr, Mara, Rozsvial, Shanny, Avery, Straka and Malik earn will all be put on the table. Dole it out any way you want as long as the holes are filled.

I'm not even engaging in another one of these foolish Nylander discussions.

Who said he's not worth the money? All I'm advocating is the option to bring back Jagr or not at a price that the Rangers can live with rather than being forced to bring him back at a price that's already been agreed upon. How is cap flexibility bad in this day and age?

I'm sorry but getting rid of Nylander, and signing Drury and Gomez is quite the OPPOSITE of catering to Jagr. Discussions of this team doing so are foolish.

Old
01-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
I'm sorry but getting rid of Nylander, and signing Drury and Gomez is quite the OPPOSITE of catering to Jagr. Discussions of this team doing so are foolish.
But playing musical centers for 1/2 the season isn't catering to Jagr?

Hey, don't get me wrong, Renney's game plan requires him to get 100% out of Jagr every night. Fine. Personally, I think that strategy hasn't worked consistently, arguably hasn't worked at all this season, and now that the team is already headed in a completely different direction with Gomez and Drury, it's time to stop crying about it and start building a new Rangers team instead of assembling another temporary, makeshift group around Jagr that struggles to find any semblance of chemistry on a given night.

Old
01-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
But playing musical centers for 1/2 the season isn't catering to Jagr?

Hey, don't get me wrong, Renney's game plan requires him to get 100% out of Jagr every night. Fine. Personally, I think that strategy hasn't worked consistently, arguably hasn't worked at all this season, and now that the team is already headed in a completely different direction with Gomez and Drury, it's time to stop crying about it and start building a new Rangers team instead of assembling another temporary, makeshift group around Jagr that struggles to find any semblance of chemistry on a given night.
Who is crying? I don't understand your point. It seems like Gomez and Jagr are working pretty consistently, so I don't believe they're playing musical centers. If anything, the lines seem to be in decent shape as of now.

Old
01-24-2008, 02:39 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Jagr needs either

84 points plus Rangers in the 2nd round

OR

Conne Smythe Trophy
Do the playoff points count toward the 84 points? I have seen no where that it says 84 regular season points.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
Who is crying?
The people who think Sather should have given a 2-3 year deal to Nylander at the expense of Drury and/or Gomez.

The point is, Jagr is catered to despite the fact that his buddy wasn't able to strong-arm Sather into a foolish contract. To further the point, I think it's time to stop catering to Jagr and start catering to Gomez and Drury, that's all.

Old
01-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
The people who think Sather should have given a 2-3 year deal to Nylander at the expense of Drury and/or Gomez.

The point is, Jagr is catered to despite the fact that his buddy wasn't able to strong-arm Sather into a foolish contract. To further the point, I think it's time to stop catering to Jagr and start catering to Gomez and Drury, that's all.
Fair enough.

Old
01-24-2008, 03:00 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Jagr is still the man.

And I for one, want him around next year to mentor Cherepanov.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 03:15 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Awww, Big Guy....*Sniff*
HAHAHA that's exacty what I just thought reading that. I've been bashing him lately, hoping to make room for next year when he's gone. But after reading that article I almost don't want him to go. I wish he would SHOW this stuff, NOT say it.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 03:22 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

i hope the trigger that gets reached is the Conn Smythe for obvious reasons

but, if no triggers are reached, if we can get him real cheap it'd be worth it

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Do the playoff points count toward the 84 points? I have seen no where that it says 84 regular season points.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but I don't believe post season stats count towards a players season stats in any sport. So no, I think the 84 points must be scored during the regular season.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 03:48 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but I don't believe post season stats count towards a players season stats in any sport. So no, I think the 84 points must be scored during the regular season.
You are correct.

38 points to go!

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
And yet again the people who think Jagr doesn't want to be here, or doesn't care, are proven wrong.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 03:53 PM
beastly115

Quote:
The reactions in this thread to that interview are interesting huh?

Some hear him and say wow, new respect

Some hear him and say wow, boo hoo lets trade him
And what other reactions might there be?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote