HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For those who were clamouring for Marleau

Old
01-23-2008, 12:10 PM
brownman*

vCash: 500
Well what initiators has Marleau been playing with over the last 7 years or so that has seen him eclipse 25 goals all but once?

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

However good Marleau might be, I think it's pretty fair to say he's not looking like he'll be $6.3M-good. At least with Ryder's slump, well, he's UFA after the season. He'll probably bounce back to some extent. As will Marleau. But $6.3M? I think you have to get the outlier on Marleau's performance distribution to try to justify that kind of salary. More often, as a 20-30 goal, 60-ish point 2nd line center, Marleau is a good player, but nobody in the league would be keen to swallow that salary for what he does.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 01:05 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Patrick Marleau is a great player.

Patrick Marleau is having a bad season.

Patrick Marleau will rebound next year.

Patrick Marleau will still be a San Jose Shark.

Thank you.
I would trade two dozens of Ryder for one Patrick Marleau... Even if it was to be on Ryder's career year and on Marleau's worst year.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 03:03 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
He`s OK. 2 great seasons were preceded by a bunch of OK seasons...nothing special. Watched him lots out here...has always been soft and not a clutch player.

Having said that...not that I wouldn`t like him on the Habs...but not for a small kings ransom.
Bingo. He's also not a guy you can have in your top 6 if you want to win a Cup. Not a warrior. Doesn't use his skill set to his advantage because he doesn't work. Never has. He did for two years when they put the new rules in and he was able to evade checking because of Thornton. Now he has his money, he's basically retired. If we ever locked up 6.3 million longterm cap dollars in him, you can waive goodbye to any Stanley Cup we would have a shot at. San Jose would drool if they could unload him.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 05:40 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
And?..how does this make him a bad player?..
There's a ton of players that perform much better paired up with playmakers. Doesnt mean they're not good.
I wouldnt pay a $6.3M cap hit during the next two seasons for a player that only scored more than 57 points twice in 9 seasons.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Patrick Marleau is a great player.

Patrick Marleau is having a bad season.

Patrick Marleau will rebound next year.

Patrick Marleau will still be a San Jose Shark.

Thank you.
It will be cool if we say the samething about Koivu..

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Guillemin

Max Afinogenov is the one other player who comes close to matching him in how dissappointing he's been.

I had an awesome fantasy roster. Unfortunately, it included these two guys

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I wouldnt pay a $6.3M cap hit during the next two seasons for a player that only scored more than 57 points twice in 9 seasons.
Yup. As someone already said, I'll take Smoke at one third the price, thanks.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 06:30 PM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Oh give it a rest....Marleau isn't as good as everybody thinks and he is proving that this season. I hate seeing people say that we need to trade for Marleau because he is so awesome, well.....when was he ever awesome??? He makes a ton of money and he doesn't put points on the board, in the regular season and especially in the playoffs.

I would rather use Smolinski than Marleau....at least Smokes can win a faceoff and is a solid 3rd/4th line player who knows his role.
There is no way I would put Marleau ahead of Plekanec or Koivu on either of the top 2 lines. I am more than happy with the job that Pleks and Koivu have been doing. Koivu needs to step his game up a bit, but he is holding his own and putting up more points than Marleau is.
Quote me as to where I said the Habs need Marleau...(???) All I did was reply to a thread and I stated that Marleau is not as bad as this season could let you think. Comparing Smoke to Marleau makes you lose credibility.

Quote:
Marleau isnt great and was never great. Just watch all of his hilights and go ask about him in the SJ forum. Marleau doesnt make the players arround him better.
Right... you know how flavor of the month HF boards is so maybe you can look up what they were saying last year and at the beginning of the year. You can look up some of his plays while you are at it.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 06:46 PM
ChicoStateShark

I think Patty is leading the NHL in scoring during the playoffs the last four years.

ChicoStateShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 06:47 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
Quote me as to where I said the Habs need Marleau...(???) All I did was reply to a thread and I stated that Marleau is not as bad as this season could let you think. Comparing Smoke to Marleau makes you lose credibility.

Right... you know how flavor of the month HF boards is so maybe you can look up what they were saying last year and at the beginning of the year. You can look up some of his plays while you are at it.
I already did both. Last year when the rumours started I was favorable to the idea of getting him. That was before he signed his extension. But the more I focused on him and the more I read about him in the SJ forum the less interested I got. And when he got his $6.3M contract...well that just sealed the deal for me. There is a whole lot more we can do with $6.3M. I'd be alot more willing to give Tanguay a try mainly because he only has one year left on his contract and he's more dynamic than Marleau. Marleau is really passive.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
I already did both. Last year when the rumours started I was favorable to the idea of getting him. That was before he signed his extension. But the more I focused on him and the more I read about him in the SJ forum the less interested I got. And when he got his $6.3M contract...well that just sealed the deal for me. There is a whole lot more we can do with $6.3M. I'd be alot more willing to give Tanguay a try mainly because he only has one year left on his contract and he's more dynamic than Marleau. Marleau is really passive.
Well that's another story my friend. He is overpaid, but that doesn't mean he's not good.
I never said id prefer Marleau to Tanguay or anybody else.

I was only responding to the people saying he sucks.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 06:22 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=12753

The above is from a local San Jose outlet. They should know the player well.

Most important quote:
"Patrick Marleau would have to be in the running for worst player in the National Hockey League this season."

He is in fact nearly last in the NHL in +/-.

Also note that they say his troubles have been long-standing.

I don't care what his plus/minus is or how much is contract is....just as long as he is not in Montreal is all I care about

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote