HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

GDT [1/23/08]: BLUES at Vancouver

Old
01-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Vector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
you guys got totally screwed tonight.
How so?

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:42 AM
BluesDarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
How so?
You kidding?

That whistle on Tkachuk's GOAL(and it was a GOAL) was a joke. Luongo never had any kind of control of that puck...it was loose the whole time and it was put in the back of the net.

Game should've been 3-2 and over.

If you don't see that you're just being a homer. That was one of the worst calls I've seen all year.

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:51 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDarb View Post
You kidding?

That whistle on Tkachuk's GOAL(and it was a GOAL) was a joke. Luongo never had any kind of control of that puck...it was loose the whole time and it was put in the back of the net.

If you don't see that you're just being a homer. That was one of the worst calls I've seen all year.
I'm willing to concede we got away with those stick infractions and that was a joke as well and give Vancouver a couple more powerplays and the game is possibly quite different...but that was a goal.

I want the coaches to have the chance to challenge refs calls like in the NFL. 1 a period max but that was ridiculous and the worst part of it is theres no accountability by the ref union.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:52 AM
Rattray

I'm a Vancouver fan and I agree. That was ridiculous...

Does anybody know who's in the pipes for St. Louis tomorrow versus the Sharks?

Rattray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Vector

I don't find it ridiculous. Whistle blew, happens all of the time. It sucks but it's no excuse since there were many non-calls against the blues. Evens up in the end.

Old
01-24-2008, 01:59 AM
BluesDarb

Quote:
I don't find it ridiculous. Whistle blew, happens all of the time. It sucks but it's no excuse since there were many non-calls against the blues. Evens up in the end.
No it doesn't. Not even close.

The missed calls lead to Power Plays and scoring chances, but they certainly aren't locked in goals. The Tkachuk atrocity was a certain goal.

I'm not saying there weren't bad calls on both sides, but that particular one DEFINATELY cost the Blues the game. Can you say that about any of the noncalls on the other side? Not with any certainty you can't.

I don't want to get into a fight, I'm just frustrated that Refs are basically free to do whatever the fugg they want. NHL Refs should be held accountable like NFL and MLB officials.

Old
01-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Vector

Quote:
No it doesn't. Not even close.

The missed calls lead to Power Plays and scoring chances, but they certainly aren't locked in goals. The Tkachuk atrocity was a certain goal.

I'm not saying there weren't bad calls on both sides, but that particular one DEFINATELY cost the Blues the game. Can you say that about any of the noncalls on the other side? Not with any certainty you can't.

I don't want to get into a fight, I'm just frustrated that Refs are basically free to do whatever the fugg they want. NHL Refs should be held accountable like NFL and MLB officials.
NFL and MLB refs are not exactly the pinnacle of judgment. I like that the refs are allowed to interpret the rules. Hockey is a fundamentally faster sport than the other two and the refs have to move as much as the players do. There needs to be a certian degree of interpretation or else we would be even more frustrated.

Old
01-24-2008, 02:17 AM
BluesDarb

Quote:
NFL and MLB refs are not exactly the pinnacle of judgment. I like that the refs are allowed to interpret the rules. Hockey is a fundamentally faster sport than the other two and the refs have to move as much as the players do. There needs to be a certian degree of interpretation or else we would be even more frustrated.
I'm not saying that the refs are perfect in MLB or the NFL, but they are accountable. MLB has that strike zone analysis program and the NFL has replay challenges.

That is what hockey needs. Either that, or just make whistle prematurity a reviewable play under the current review system. They don't necessarily need the Coach decides aspect, but the refs must be accountable in potentially game changing situations.

Old
01-24-2008, 02:21 AM
Checker*

Seriously anytime a call like the one gets made, you can predict the reactions like clockwork

1) fans of the team who had the bad call go against them will blame the call for the loss (In reality-again the Blues feebleness on the powerplay, in overtime, and especially in the shootout hurt worst)

2) fans of the team the call went for will try to rationalize and strike back by claiming that calls like that happen like 3 times a game or so, that they were the ones who were screwed all game long, and that the call wasn't that bad (which are all pretty much just as much BS as the rationale for point 1)

3) crybaby/ idiot etc.

4) The end

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 02:35 AM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
You kidding?

how was the puck put in the net though? by Tkachuk's falling feet first into Luongo and dislodging the puck into the net. It's like on a breakaway when a guy shoots, the goalie stops it, and then the player looses balance and falls down into the goalie dislodging the puck into the net. Most often than not the goal is waved off, and no goal and no penalty results in the play.

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 02:48 AM
Vector

Quote:
I'm not saying that the refs are perfect in MLB or the NFL, but they are accountable. MLB has that strike zone analysis program and the NFL has replay challenges.

That is what hockey needs. Either that, or just make whistle prematurity a reviewable play under the current review system. They don't necessarily need the Coach decides aspect, but the refs must be accountable in potentially game changing situations.
I don't see how being able to review if the whistle went would have any aspect. They are allowed to review that. I also don't see what the NHL could do to make their officiating better. If a ref is performing poorly throughout the year they are shut-down for the playoffs (see: Kerry Fraser last year).

Old
01-24-2008, 07:18 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Seriously anytime a call like the one gets made, you can predict the reactions like clockwork

1) fans of the team who had the bad call go against them will blame the call for the loss (In reality-again the Blues feebleness on the powerplay, in overtime, and especially in the shootout hurt worst)

2) fans of the team the call went for will try to rationalize and strike back by claiming that calls like that happen like 3 times a game or so, that they were the ones who were screwed all game long, and that the call wasn't that bad (which are all pretty much just as much BS as the rationale for point 1)

3) crybaby/ idiot etc.

4) The end
Nope, if it had happend the other way around I would be telling Canucks fans that they were robbed. There's homers everywhere, but its stupid to assume.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

My thoughts...Yes the Blues got away with some stick infractions, but I think most of those stick calls are BS anyway. Calling hooking for just having your stick on the guy is a joke. Also, most of the penalties called on the Blues were pathetic. Tk's two penalties...WOW and that McKee call in the crease was stupid (can you not hit in this league anymore?). Either way the calls and non-calls balanced out if you ask me. That goal should have counted. If it was a VAN goal then their fans would have been complaining. But the truth of the matter is yet again the Blues did not play their best hockey.

P.S. Our OT and shootout were just horrific. I am sure everyone agrees.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Mike6749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
My thoughts...Yes the Blues got away with some stick infractions, but I think most of those stick calls are BS anyway. Calling hooking for just having your stick on the guy is a joke. Also, most of the penalties called on the Blues were pathetic. Tk's two penalties...WOW and that McKee call in the crease was stupid (can you not hit in this league anymore?). Either way the calls and non-calls balanced out if you ask me. That goal should have counted. If it was a VAN goal then their fans would have been complaining. But the truth of the matter is yet again the Blues did not play their best hockey.

It seems to me like the only time cross checking gets called is when it is in front of the net, otherwise people like Backman can get away with **** in the corners. I don't know how many times I'd watch him in the corner and think to myself that he was going to take a boarding or cross checking penalty. But, instead it gets called elsewhere on the ice. I'm no genius by any means, but isn't boarding supposed to be the only penalty that is called only in one place (against the boards)?

Mike6749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 12:27 PM
VisionQuest*

Jim Hughson even commented on the VAN broadcast that Luongo never had control of the puck. He flat out robbed Boyes though.

come on STL, get back to your winning ways. I wanna see Andy Murray coaching in the playoffs.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:34 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
how was the puck put in the net though? by Tkachuk's falling feet first into Luongo and dislodging the puck into the net. It's like on a breakaway when a guy shoots, the goalie stops it, and then the player looses balance and falls down into the goalie dislodging the puck into the net. Most often than not the goal is waved off, and no goal and no penalty results in the play.
Exactly. Even if the whistle hadn't been blown early it still would have been a no goal. Gotta love incidental contact.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:39 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
I agree with you Zundo. OT was terrible.

However, did you really think at the end of OT we were going to win in PK's with the great Luongo in net?

2 of our 3 guys going hadn't put the puck in the net on the shoot out all year.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
I agree with you Zundo. OT was terrible.

However, did you really think at the end of OT we were going to win in PK's with the great Luongo in net?

2 of our 3 guys going hadn't put the puck in the net on the shoot out all year.
I hoped so, but to be honest...no. Hell, only one guy has scored in the shootout this whole season for us. Would have liked to see Stempy get a chance last night. Plus, why all the shots to the glovehand?...it was hot all night

Old
01-24-2008, 01:45 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
I hoped so, but to be honest...no. Hell, only one guy has scored in the shootout this whole season for us. Would have liked to see Stempy get a chance last night. Plus, why all the shots to the glovehand?...it was hot all night
I agree. I didn't want to see Walt out there. You have to be quicker to beat Roberto...and at Walt's age he doesn't have it.

Amen on the glove side.

Only Perron went to the stick side...and even got it by him to give us our only real shot at a goal in shoot outs.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Popcorn_Shrimp*

There are many times throughout a game where a ref blows the whistle because he lost sight of the puck. Sometimes the puck is still "live" and the play SHOULD have continued.

It just so happens that this time...the puck went in the net.......sure u can say you got robbed.....but it happens A LOT .....I'd chalk this one up to "these things happen".

oh, and that was a SICK dangle by D.Sedin

Popcorn_Shrimp* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by polish_flyboi View Post
There are many times throughout a game where a ref blows the whistle because he lost sight of the puck. Sometimes the puck is still "live" and the play SHOULD have continued.

It just so happens that this time...the puck went in the net.......sure u can say you got robbed.....but it happens A LOT .....I'd chalk this one up to "these things happen".

oh, and that was a SICK dangle by D.Sedin

As much as I don't want to admit it...yes it was sick.

As for the other thoughts, it has happened two games in a row and we are losing a lot right now, so I don't think anyone is comfortable with excepting that right now. Yes that includes me, but yes you are right.

Old
01-24-2008, 05:01 PM
c-carp

They played a lot better last night there were positives for a change. Luongo stole Vancouver the extra point but he tends to do that.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Adam91

Man when are you guys going to play Perron more??? He should have played on the extended 5 on 3

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 07:04 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
Man when are you guys going to play Perron more??? He should have played on the extended 5 on 3
Murray is being careful to a fault with both Johnson and Perron.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
I like this guy

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote