Notices

Regular Season Report Card....

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2004, 12:40 AM
kruezer

vCash: 500
Regular Season Report Card....

Well, I'd say this team surpassed expectations on the whole, glad this doesn't have to be a season end report card like so often before...but without further adieu (BTW I just ranked'em on how they did in relation to expectations A being perfectly accomplished C being done without bare minimum and F being well below expectations)

Coaching Staff....A....What can I say, they did a fantastic job on the whole, I don't think anybody quite expected this. Sutter, Playfair, Preston even MacNeil, all of the staff (ooh don't forget Marcoux, thats his name right? unmentioned guy, but Kipper will remember him) Well done.

Incomplete (Under 20 GP for this category)

Mike Commodore....He's coming along nicely.
Matt Sonnenberg....Did what he had to do, but I still don't like the look of him on an NHL roster
Jason Morgan....turned into Nieminen, nice deal, but Morgan was solid too.
Lynn Loyns....Another depth guy that did what he had to do, but shouldn't be on the roster either.
Dave Lowry....One dynamite coaching prospect IMO.
Blair Betts....We waited with baited breath for so long, it was fun while it lasted BB, good luck in NYC.
Chris Simon....Certainly brought the element that was asked of him.
Marcus Nilson....I really like this cat, he has a bright future with this team IMO.
Ville Nieminen....What can I say, just great in his time hear, everything asked and more.
Dany Sabourin....Was not NHL ready yet.

Grades (GP, G-A-P, +/- PIM)

Steve Montador (26 1-2-3 -1 50) - Solid year really did everything I could have asked, just a great guy to have around as a 7th D-man IMO. Really wants to be on TV too, also has the mic at the 'dome if he's in the PB. One of my fav's....B

Krzyztof Oliwa (65 3-2-5 -8 247) - As well did what was required of him, threw in some highlites to make the fans happy and fought everyone in the league. I really don't think we could have asked for more from this cat, fan favourite, loses a mark for +/- ....A-

Josh Green (36 2-4-6 -3 24) - Well they gave this guy a chance, and he failed miserably, got minutes with Iginla, did nothing, just hasn't put it together at all. Good luck in NYC....F

Denis Gauthier (80 1-15-16 +4 113) - Played well overall, his best season ever IMO. Had some poor stretches, still the #5 when the D is healthy IMO. But he did what I wanted, best offensive season ever, not quite good enough to solidify himself onto this D though, will still be in trade speculation....B-

Andy Ference (72 4-12-16 +5 53) - Had his best offensive season as well, played okay enough, but again, he's still the #6 when the D is healthy, and Commodore is coming quickly, I think his job is in paril...C+

Chuck Kobasew (70 6-11-17 -12 51) - Had some hot streaks, but they were much shorter than what I expected, in 70 games I would have expected at least 10 goals, but he has grown alot since the beginning of the season and that ugly +/- was coming down, I think he'll be getting much more minutes next year, but he didn't hit expectations this year....D+

Stephane Yelle (53 4-13-17 +1 24) - Very underrated, will be a solid center for us on the 3rd/4th lines that we should have the depth to ice next season. Was hurt for quite a bit, but his importance definetaly was shown even more then, just a great guy to have on this team and I hope he's back of the POs....A

Rhett Warrener (77 3-14-17 +8 97) - Just great, what can I say? Excellent, perhaps our team MVP, definetaly our D-MVP. Approached career highs in points, solid +/- against top lines, taught Denis tonnes, just great....A

Robyn Regehr (82 4-14-18 +14 74) - Things started out a bit slowly after the new contract, but wow did he step up, best season of his career, best year offensively, very nice +/-, led in ice time, found his toughness, great player, will be a solid 25 point defensive D in his prime IMO, slow start loses a point....A-

Toni Lydman (67 4-16-20 +6 30) - Was hurt a bit, didn't really kick things into high gear with Leo taking over on the PP and his having to play more D with Ference on his pairing. I still think he will put up a solid 30-35 points a year, hopefully starting next season....C-

Chris Clark (82 10-15-25 -3 106) - I haven't been this guys most vocal supporter, but on the fourth line where he belongs I have no problem with him. Best offensive year of his career, scored the goals Kob should have. Brings it, he stays on this team for sure....B

Matt Lombardi (79 16-13-29 +4 32) - Had no expectations, came out of nowhere, great year, great young player, really solidified a terrifying looking center position, he can put up 40 points next year I think and assume the 2nd line C position....A

Oleg Saprykin (69 12-17-29 +1 41) - Very slow start, but found his groove, I really see a breakout next season, solid point total, I could see 45 points next year, if given the shot, our depth at LW might hurt him though. Still inbetween....C-

Steve Reinprecht (44 7-22-29 +1 4) - Had a good start, injuries shortened things, will need to prove himself next year for sure. I think he can do it, he has the skills IMO, just needs to get himself in line physically, I like him with Lombo and Kob. Too bad about missing the POs....B-

Dean McAmmond (64 17-13-30 +9 18) - Well, he did what we needed, not a guy I would keep around, but he was definetaly there when the team needed him....B+

Jordan Leopold (82 9-24-33 +8 24) - Exceeded my expectations (by 5 points and 1 goal to be exact) great year, this kid is going to be great, his defense is FAR better than it was last year, has really taken charge on the PP point as well, I only see good things in this kids future. I don't know what to predict next year, because I don't want to get out of hand, but 40 points should be reasonable, no?....A

Martin Gelinas (76 17-18-35 +10 70) - Marty, solid year, great leader, I really hope they keep this guy around, I expect his points and minutes played to take a hit next year, but I hope they keep him around, great consistant effort, brings it when nobody or everybody else is....A-

Shean Donovan (82 18-24-42 +14 72) - Slowed at the end of the year as his minutes decreased. Great season though, just spectacular, by far his best in the league, undoubtably an....A

Craig Conroy (63 8-39-47 +13 44) - Elevated his play as the year wore on, I hope they keep this guy around, perfect complement to Iginla. Had a poor start and then an injury however, leads much like Linden in Vancity IMO, gave the C to the young quiet superstar, but I think he's the main talker in the locker room....B-

Jarome Iginla (81 41-32-73 +21 84) - Who'd have though he'd tie for the Rocket after November? December? January? Really brought it after a rough start, 40-45 goals is the perfect range for him IMO, superstar, the team really, carried them into the playoffs (with a little Kipper help) deserves all the acclaim he gets....B+

Roman Turek (18 6-11-0 2.33 .914) - Solid end to the year brings his grade up, he's been discussed enough....D

Jamie McLennan (26 12-9-3 2.20 .910) - Did everything asked of him, sucks he had to go, but thats the way economics goes, have fun in NYC J-Mac, you're a class act....A

Miikka Kiprusoff (38 24-10-4 1.70 .933) - I don't like to give out A+s but I think a record setting year is worthy of one, 'nuff said....A+

Comments??

Old
04-10-2004, 10:59 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
For some reason, I just noticed this today
Good job, I pretty much agree with you.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Hybrid

vCash: 500
It's too bad about Blair Betts I liked him. He could have been like Yelle with offensive upside.

Closed Thread