HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The significance of the win in NJ

Old
01-25-2008, 03:11 AM
GNick42

vCash: 500
We win in Jersey!!! What a night...and I never watched the game.

The last two games the Habs have turned the corner

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 03:23 AM
CGL77*

dfdsfdfd.JPG

CGL77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I've been skeptical of this team all year but they are proving me wrong. I thought we'd see these kinds of performances next year but we're way ahead of schedule. The rookies are playing well, the vets are playing well, the goalies are playing well... I'm happy with where things are at and I'm especially happy when I think of the team's future.

Nothing will make me happier than to say I was wrong if and when we make the playoffs this year.

Well for me, bud, its the other way around, I was expecting these performances last year and thought many situations created some forks in the rug that actually made us go behind the schedule. Like Gainey's absense at a real bad time, coupled to the fact that Carbs was a rookie coach, made us go backwards. This season is actually going as I expected, because I thought that the team couldn't go thru as much chite as last year.

I have the feeling we will be qualified for the playoffs before the team's last 5 games.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Turbo

It's always hard to say how a game like this can affect a team down the road - it basically depends on its make-up and leadership.

I thought the collapse against Nashville would be a major negative turning point. The team played a few other so-so games but then quickly bounced back. They didn't let it drag them down for long.

Last year, a bit before the xmas break, the team played one of its best games of the season when they completely dominated Buffalo over 60 minutes. They were on a major high at that point and only 5pts out of first. The went on to follow that with a poor showing against Philly where they won anyway because Pilly was brutal and then they had that dreaded Dec 23 game against Boston and the start of the collapse.

What I like about this year's edition is that they seem to not get too down after a bad loss or too high after a big win, and just look ahead.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 09:15 AM
oli500

There just something special about this year. We beat the leafs in there home building this year. We have allways had problems with them in Toronto. We beat the panthers in florida pretty easily. We never play well vs that team. We beat the devils and we know the history with them. Were beating teams that we normaly have problems when we play them. The only team that has outplayed us this year has been the rangers and the senators. We still have two games left vs the rangers and a handfull of games vs the sens to change that and give are self a litle more room in the eastern conference.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Keane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
but why did it take 40 minutes for them to star playing they way they needed to? imagine a full 60 minutes like that
You can say that again.

Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 09:28 AM
ChickenHabsFan

Everybody seems to be contributing as of late. Even Gorges and Smolinski...this is good news if you ask me. We will be a team to watch in the playoffs (we'll be in the playoffs).Remember the year when the Hurricnaes won the cup? The Hurricanes GM said we were possibly their biggest challenge in the east. Now our team seems even better.

ChickenHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 09:36 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
but why did it take 40 minutes for them to star playing they way they needed to? imagine a full 60 minutes like that
They learned an important, crucial lesson, but it took 40 minutes to do so (in part because they needed Kovalev and Smolinski, the two vets from other teams, to teach it):

There's nothing magical or special about New Jersey, and Brodeur isn't some sort of Superman, just a good goaltender. New Jersey traps well, and they play defense well. But if you hustle, crash the net, shoot the puck, carry the puck in, and generally come at them in full blow-out-Boston form, even the New Jersey Devils will break.

The Devils had thirteen shots. Yes, some of them were unsaveable scoring chances, but -- THIRTEEN. I think that's a season best in shots-against for Montreal.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Istvan

Carbonneau gets full marks for his part in the win.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
There just something special about this year. We beat the leafs in there home building this year. We have allways had problems with them in Toronto. We beat the panthers in florida pretty easily. We never play well vs that team. We beat the devils and we know the history with them. Were beating teams that we normaly have problems when we play them. The only team that has outplayed us this year has been the rangers and the senators. We still have two games left vs the rangers and a handfull of games vs the sens to change that and give are self a litle more room in the eastern conference.
Well, there was that game against Detroit...

but we won't speak about that here.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Fido22

Anybody else think that a little too much confidence may not be that great for a young team?

I think the way we follow up after the break will be crucial. This week could turn out to be a good or bad thing as of yet.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Anybody else think that a little too much confidence may not be that great for a young team?

I think the way we follow up after the break will be crucial. This week could turn out to be a good or bad thing as of yet.
I think the two games against the Caps could really dictate how the rest of the season goes.

Mue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post

Its all a learning process. We've seen them get overconfident before and come back and get their butt's kicked.

We've had a whole month of bad teams to play against and I'm really impressed that we've managed to distance ourselves from them a little bit. We'll be playing better teams in the coming months and if the team is overconfident, it'll change in a hurry.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote