HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Official Bills Thread #2

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2004, 02:53 PM
Takeo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5
what would our big board look like then? Here is my short wish list for the 13th pick:

Roy Williams
Mike Williams
Philip Rivers
Will Smith
trade down?
I would probably flip Smith up to #2 and add Winslow before the trade-down scenario...this assuming Udeze is long gone. Injecting Mike Williams into the draft as well as increasing stocks of several prospects will definetly push some highend talent down to 13.

Old
03-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
I would probably flip Smith up to #2 and add Winslow before the trade-down scenario...this assuming Udeze is long gone. Injecting Mike Williams into the draft as well as increasing stocks of several prospects will definetly push some highend talent down to 13.
You're probably right about moving Smith up to number two. I keep debating about what the order should be. I'm still holding out hope that Kelsay, or maybe even Denney will step up and be the DE we need, but I can't help but think Smith is the missing piece to a dominant defense. Udezi may be an option, but he reminds me too much of Erik Flowers. Talent wise Winslow is a stud, but he doesn't really fit the mold of what TD and other Bills execs have usually gone after. I think Ben Hartsock in the third or fourth round would be better for our team. Plus TE Ben Watson has speed to stretch the field, good hands, and from what I've read, a mean streak when it comes to blocking. My problem is that Ben Watson makes me think of Leon Johnson. Remember him?

Here's my take on what might happen.

If Roy Williams is available, he's the choice. Especially with the speed he has shown lately. Unfortunately he has been rising so quickly, he could be in the top 5.

If Will Smith is available, he could be too good to pass up. However, two 2nd round picks at this position two years in a row, makes me think twice about this move. Then again, you can never have too many good DEs, right?

If Mike Williams is available he may be the second coming of Terrell Owens without the baggage. He's big and strong, with great hands and body control. A major threat in the endzone we haven't had in the last couple of years. You can't double team both him and Moulds. By the way, Moulds isn't getting any younger and had injury problems last year. Williams should be a top No.2 to begin and a great No.1 when the time comes.

If Philip Rivers is available we should get the "QB of the future" we've been looking for. I really like Rivers and would probably want him over Manning and Roethlisberger. His stock has been rising as well, but depending on how things shake out, could still drop to 13. If one of the players above, that can give us immediate help, isn't around than we can't miss on this opportunity.

Of course there are other guys that I would like, but they are much more likely to be gone at our spot then these players. Guys like Fitzgerald, Sean Taylor, etc... If we miss on the elites, a trade down is one of my favorite things for the Bills to do. We did it perfectly a few years ago when we grabbed Clements. The more quality rookies we have on the roster the better our team can be now and especially in the future.

Old
03-30-2004, 03:34 PM
Takeo

Quote:
If we miss on the elites, a trade down is one of my favorite things for the Bills to do. We did it perfectly a few years ago when we grabbed Clements. The more quality rookies we have on the roster the better our team can be now and especially in the future.
If Will Smith is gone, I would be a major proponent for trading down. We could target Antwan Odom, Michael Clayton, or J.P. Losman later in the round. The bonus pick in the 2nd would be extremely useful.

Old
03-30-2004, 03:53 PM
Digable5

Quote:
If Will Smith is gone, I would be a major proponent for trading down. We could target Antwan Odom, Michael Clayton, or J.P. Losman later in the round. The bonus pick in the 2nd would be extremely useful.
Ouch! I wouldn't really want any of the players you mentioned. I'm probably wrong on all of them, but there are too many things I have read that makes me think the Bills wouldn't draft them. Maybe Clayton. Clayton is a great blocker, maybe the best WR blocker in the draft. However, his speed is a major concern. We don't need a possession type receiver unless he is one of the elite types. A guy that has caught my eye lately would be WR Michael Jenkins. He's taller and faster. Maybe even Reggie Williams after a trade down.

Antwan Odom is one dimensional and gives up on plays too often. His effort is inconsistent. Besides, for a pure pass rusher, he's not fast enough. If we trade down, I think that DE is not a target in the first or maybe even the second round. Again, for the reasons I stated before.

Losman has a lot of skill. Strong arm and good speed. He would definitly be more mobile. However, he's been known to be arrogant and doesn't always get along with his teammates.

At this point I would rather take a quarterback with just as many questions, but in a later round and for less money than a first round pick. Luke McCown is a name I've mentioned before. He has the speed and a decently strong arm. He's also known as a student of the game. A quality I want in a QB. The problem with him is consistency, and that could be helped by a good QB coach.

I have to get going. I'll add more if anyone is interested tomorrow. I'd love to hear from everybody else too. Anybody see these guys play a lot?

Old
03-30-2004, 06:59 PM
kennyx

Personally I'd pass on Smith. The guy has bust written all over him.... He's just too small for the pros.

Going for Rivers or Losman might be a good idea, but I dont really want to go with a QB in the first, especially when a good WR will still be there.
It's pretty obvious Fitz, and Mike Williams will both be gone. But I've got a feeling either Reggie or Roy will still be available. I hope it's Reggie, -if he's still there, I hope we take him. Also, why not go for Wilfork if he's still there? Both big Sam and Pat Williams arent getting any younger.

Otherwise, I want to trade down for more picks. I'd be very happy if we picked up Jake Grove or Chris Snee. Solidfying our line should be top priority, especially with McGahee coming.

Old
03-31-2004, 08:13 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyx
Personally I'd pass on Smith. The guy has bust written all over him.... He's just too small for the pros.

Going for Rivers or Losman might be a good idea, but I dont really want to go with a QB in the first, especially when a good WR will still be there.
It's pretty obvious Fitz, and Mike Williams will both be gone. But I've got a feeling either Reggie or Roy will still be available. I hope it's Reggie, -if he's still there, I hope we take him. Also, why not go for Wilfork if he's still there? Both big Sam and Pat Williams arent getting any younger.

Otherwise, I want to trade down for more picks. I'd be very happy if we picked up Jake Grove or Chris Snee. Solidfying our line should be top priority, especially with McGahee coming.
Roy may be taken over Mike. It may all depend on how Mike runs in his workout coming up next week. April 8th I believe. I personally like Roy over Reggie by far. He's a speed demon, with good size and No.1 star written all over him since, at least his sophmore year of college if not sooner. Reggie leaves questions about his desire. He doesn't appear to want to block on running plays. I would give him a chance if none of the other top guys were available, but I wouldn't take him over them.

Please TD, don't take Losman. Even if he succeeds, his ego is too big to fit in Buffalo. According to things I've read, he's not a bad guy off the field, but can "rub his teammates the wrong way". Would he be a guy that will sit and wait for his turn, without rocking the boat? Besides, it's also been said that his skills wouldn't match up well in bad weather.

I like the Wilfork idea. He can step in for Adams after this year. But, he wouldn't have a starting job right away. Do we want to use a 1st round pick on a current backup, other than QB? He does seem to be an interesting choice though.

Jake Grove or Justin Smiley would be nice additions to the line if we trade down, or they drop to us in the second. Snee is good too, but I think Smiley is the better overall prospect.

Old
03-31-2004, 10:22 AM
Weezel RX7

Send a message via AIM to Weezel RX7
Quote:
Buffalo News: A contract agreement between the Buffalo Bills and quarterback Kordell Stewart is not imminent. All indications Tuesday were the former starter for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Chicago Bears still was weighing his options on the free-agent market.

However, if Stewart decides to join the Bills, Buffalo coach Mike Mularkey plans to use him on selected plays as a running back or receiver.
interesting....

Old
03-31-2004, 10:32 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezel RX7
interesting....
I don't want Kordell Stewart. I want "Slash"!

But, will Henry be OK with him being a running back?

Imagine the kind of plays you could call with Henry in the backfield, and McGahee, Stewart, Moulds and Reed (former RB) lining up as WRs.

How are Bledsoe's hands? Bledsoe hands off to Henry running right. Everybody pulls to that side before Travis tosses it back to Kordell. Who then finds Bledsoe all alone on the left side of the field. TD!

Boy do I have an imagination or what? I know it wouldn't happen, so please don't start telling me how stupid that play is.

Old
04-01-2004, 05:06 PM
Takeo

Ruben signs with Bears...probably to replace Villarrial. lol.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=1773412

Bu-bye and best wishes.

Old
04-02-2004, 07:56 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Ruben signs with Bears...probably to replace Villarrial. lol.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=1773412

Bu-bye and best wishes.
Good Luck trying to make a career LG, switch to RG at 32(?) years old. I don't think that Ruben is in shape enough to be a run blocker. I don't think he could still get downfield well enough to be really successful. We'll have to see, but it might not matter if he can't keep himself from commiting false starts or from holding everyone.

Old
04-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Good Luck trying to make a career LG, switch to RG at 32(?) years old. I don't think that Ruben is in shape enough to be a run blocker. I don't think he could still get downfield well enough to be really successful. We'll have to see, but it might not matter if he can't keep himself from commiting false starts or from holding everyone.

Speaking from experience moving from one guard to the other is probably the easiest position change in all of sports.

Old
04-06-2004, 10:15 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
My draft board wishes....

1.Mike Williams
2.Roy Williams
3.Shawn Andrews
4.Reggie Williams

NO WILL SMITH,UDEZE OR RIVERS.

I'm not sold on Udeze or Smith and we need an impact 1st round player.It can't be 2 years in a row that our 1st round pick won't play.

Old
04-07-2004, 01:25 AM
Weezel RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
My draft board wishes....

1.Mike Williams
2.Roy Williams
3.Shawn Andrews
4.Reggie Williams

NO WILL SMITH,UDEZE OR RIVERS.

I'm not sold on Udeze or Smith and we need an impact 1st round player.It can't be 2 years in a row that our 1st round pick won't play.
reggie williams wont be taken til the 2nd

i like mike or roy williams in the first and JP Losman outta Tuane in the 2nd but Will Smith wouldnt be a bad pickup to accommodate schobel

Old
04-07-2004, 08:42 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
Speaking from experience moving from one guard to the other is probably the easiest position change in all of sports.
Offensive linemen? Sweet.

Some teams don't have left or right guards, but short and long guards, depending on the specific athletic talent the guards have.

Old
04-14-2004, 04:11 PM
Takeo

2004 SCHEDULE

Date Opponent TV Time (ET)
Sun., Sept. 12 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Sept. 19 at Oakland Raiders CBS 4:15 PM
Sun., Sept. 26 BYE WEEK
Sun., Oct. 3 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Oct. 10 at New York Jets CBS 4:05 PM
Sun., Oct. 17 MIAMI DOLPHINS CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Oct. 24 at Baltimore Ravens CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Oct. 31 ARIZONA CARDINALS FOX 1:00 PM
Sun., Nov. 7 NEW YORK JETS CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Nov. 14 at New England Patriots ESPN 8:30 PM
Sun., Nov. 21 ST. LOUIS RAMS FOX 1:00 PM
Sun., Nov. 28 at Seattle Seahawks CBS 4:15 PM
Sun., Dec. 5 at Miami Dolphins CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Dec. 12 CLEVELAND BROWNS CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Dec. 19 at Cincinnati Bengals CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Dec. 26 at San Francisco 49ers CBS 4:05 PM
Sun., Jan. 2 PITTSBURGH STEELERS CBS 1:00 PM

Straight-up sucks IMO. No Monday Night...again (and deservedly so). Another nationally televised embarassment in New England. Bye week too early. Fish in Buffalo in OCTOBER. All 1PM home games.

Old
04-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Weezel RX7

Quote:
2004 SCHEDULE

Date Opponent TV Time (ET)
Sun., Sept. 12 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Sept. 19 at Oakland Raiders CBS 4:15 PM
Sun., Sept. 26 BYE WEEK
Sun., Oct. 3 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Oct. 10 at New York Jets CBS 4:05 PM
Sun., Oct. 17 MIAMI DOLPHINS CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Oct. 24 at Baltimore Ravens CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Oct. 31 ARIZONA CARDINALS FOX 1:00 PM
Sun., Nov. 7 NEW YORK JETS CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Nov. 14 at New England Patriots ESPN 8:30 PM
Sun., Nov. 21 ST. LOUIS RAMS FOX 1:00 PM
Sun., Nov. 28 at Seattle Seahawks CBS 4:15 PM
Sun., Dec. 5 at Miami Dolphins CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Dec. 12 CLEVELAND BROWNS CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Dec. 19 at Cincinnati Bengals CBS 1:00 PM
Sun., Dec. 26 at San Francisco 49ers CBS 4:05 PM
Sun., Jan. 2 PITTSBURGH STEELERS CBS 1:00 PM

Straight-up sucks IMO. No Monday Night...again (and deservedly so). Another nationally televised embarassment in New England. Bye week too early. Fish in Buffalo in OCTOBER. All 1PM home games.
having the dolphins in october sucks nuts but its a very easy schedule. the chance to start the season 2-0 is highly likely. only tough games are st louis, seattle, possibly baltimore and then the division. sf, pitt, cleveland and arizona are jokes and like i said so are the raiders and jags

Closed Thread