HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opening Day Line-up

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Oilers Hockey

vCash: 500
I think the pieces are in place, but Lowe resigns Nedved to $7mil 2-year deal. Wifey goes nuts but kickstarts her career modeling for WEM advertising. Edmonton experiences a tourism boom not seen since...well ever!

Hopefully we also have the luck not to have to go through any major injuries like last year.

Smyth-York-Hemsky
Torres-Nedved-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Isbister-Stoll-Laraque

*Horcoff, Rita

Brewer-Semenov
Ulanov-Woywitka
Bergeron-Cross

*Lynch

Conklin
Markkanen

I don't Hemsky should be left on the 3rd line. He's arguably our most talented player and he should be given another chance on the first line. I say give Isbister until the trade deadline to shape up. If he doesn't move him for good. Smith much to Lowe and the fans ire, goes to arbitration and Lowe spends the money to keep Nedved.

Oilers are looking in pretty good shape either way, for next year.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:01 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
I think the pieces are in place, but Lowe resigns Nedved to $7mil 2-year deal. Wifey goes nuts but kickstarts her career modeling for WEM advertising. Edmonton experiences a tourism boom not seen since...well ever!

Hopefully we also have the luck not to have to go through any major injuries like last year.

Smyth-York-Hemsky
Torres-Nedved-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Isbister-Stoll-Laraque

*Horcoff, Rita

Brewer-Semenov
Ulanov-Woywitka
Bergeron-Cross

*Lynch

Conklin
Markkanen

I don't Hemsky should be left on the 3rd line. He's arguably our most talented player and he should be given another chance on the first line. I say give Isbister until the trade deadline to shape up. If he doesn't move him for good. Smith much to Lowe and the fans ire, goes to arbitration and Lowe spends the money to keep Nedved.

Oilers are looking in pretty good shape either way, for next year.
One problem with your plan here is that it will be very hard for Izzy to "shape up" if he's getting fourth line minutes with Laraque and Stoll. I actually like the sounds of a line of Isbister, Reasoner and Hemsky. Reasoner has a very under-rated passing ability IMO and I feel this line would work very well.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Oilers Hockey

I know, I was looking at s7ark's post but after I posted mine, about putting Izzy and Hemy with Reasoner and i have to say its an awesome idea! why not give it a try?

Old
04-14-2004, 02:35 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
I know, I was looking at s7ark's post but after I posted mine, about putting Izzy and Hemy with Reasoner and i have to say its an awesome idea! why not give it a try?
Easy now, don't be givin' S7ark all the credit for that one!

Old
04-14-2004, 02:41 PM
H-Bear

I like the idea of putting Hemsky on the third line. The players on his line won't necessarily be quite as good, but still good. Meanwhile, he doesn't have to stack up against the oposing team's best lines. I still feal he is too young to be facing off against the big boys.

On a side note, that Izzy-Reasoner-Hemsky line would be much more intriguing (at least to me) if you sub in Mikhnov. A scorer, a play-maker, and a two-way centre; seems like a mighty fine matchup to me.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

how bout...

Torres-Nedved-Hemsky
(Hemsky needs a finisher, that's NEDVED, and Torres makes room for them.)
Smyth-Reasoner-Dvorak
(I can see this line clicking, good hands with a bit of finish and decent size.)
Moreau-York-Isbister
(Size, speed, grit, and alot of guys driving down the wing.)
Horcoff-Stoll-Pisani
(one word- cycle.)

Old
04-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
On a side note, that Izzy-Reasoner-Hemsky line would be much more intriguing (at least to me) if you sub in Mikhnov. A scorer, a play-maker, and a two-way centre; seems like a mighty fine matchup to me.
Am I the only person that doesn't think Mikhnov is that good? I think he's got the potential to become a top 2 line winger but I personally don't think there is any way he'll make the roster next season. He seems to be very raw and would likely need at least a year in the AHL to get used to North America. He still has the chance to be a good player but I certainly don't anticipate seeing him up with the Oilers next year.

Old
04-14-2004, 03:08 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Thanks man I hope someone can suggest that to MacT over the summer. With those 3 scoring lines I think if we let them all gel for a month or two they each have the ability to light it up .

Smyth Nedved Dvorak - Nedved and Dvo have great chemistry, so if we give them our top LW good things can only result. Smyth can own the boards and the front of the net, Dvorak can own the open ice and Nedved has the heavy shot that either can get the puck to (off the boards or on an open ice rush)

Torres - Horcoff - York - Horcoff really picked up his game at the end of the year and deserves a shot at second line. York is multitalented it isn't even funny and can do everything well. Torres is energy and scoring on the line - he needs to work on his in traffic and on the boards traffic a bit but will feel like he can develop and try new things with the great 2 way play of Horc and York

Isbister - Reasoner - Hemsky - Hemsky's lack of defensive awareness can be covered by Reasoner so he can develop adequate defensive play gradually while still focusing on the offensive roll he is here to play. Isbister was a force when he wasn't hurt and will create all kinds of room for Reasoner and Hemsky both of whom can pass and score. I think this line could surprise many.

Moreau - Stoll - Pisani/Laraque - we swap in Pisani and Laraque depending on who is playing harder and what roll we are looking for that game (physical or defensive presence) Stoll has miles of upside and is still learning the game while playing very well in doing so. Moreau is the heart of the line and show work ethic that is required to win. Checking line for sure but they can pot some goals as well.

Roll 4 lines and we look pretty good

Old
04-14-2004, 03:16 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
how bout...

Torres-Nedved-Hemsky
(Hemsky needs a finisher, that's NEDVED, and Torres makes room for them.)
Smyth-Reasoner-Dvorak
(I can see this line clicking, good hands with a bit of finish and decent size.)
Moreau-York-Isbister
(Size, speed, grit, and alot of guys driving down the wing.)
Horcoff-Stoll-Pisani
(one word- cycle.)
Close but how about this:

Smyth-Nedved-York (a 1st line finally)
Torres -Reasoner-Dvorak (this could be interesting)
Moreau-Stoll-Isbister (top lines would hate to play against this combo)
Rita-Horcoff –Hemsky (Horc can baby sit the kids where they belong – 4th line)
(extras – Pouliot and Pisani)

Brew-Semi (time to get our future top pair working together)
Staios-Cross (Cross survives a year until Lynch and Woywitka are ready)
Bergy-Ulanov (why mess with a good thing)
(extra – Allan)
Lynch and Woywitka get one last season in TO

Markanen
Garon

Smith and our #25 pick are traded to Florida for the #10 pick
Laraque and Conklin to Montreal for Garon and a 2nd round pick

Old
04-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Jamie

Quote:
I like the idea of putting Hemsky on the third line. The players on his line won't necessarily be quite as good, but still good. Meanwhile, he doesn't have to stack up against the oposing team's best lines. I still feal he is too young to be facing off against the big boys.

Hemsky needs a goal scorer on his line to be effective IMO. Weight had Guerin, now we have to find a similar player for Hemsky to work with. We do not have a shoot first player on this team, and we desparatly need one, and it pretty much has to be a center. If there's any way to get Spezza or Lecavalier, I'd pull out almost all stops to do so. (excalaimer, I do not want Comrie back) If Comrie were still here, those two would probably have made a great combo, with either Isbister or Smyth on the opposite wing mucking it up.

Onto what I would do in the offseason;
In the draft, I'd highly look at a sniper RW with the first pick, and definetly watch that route for other picks in the draft but having BPA in mind as well. Also, a goalie in the 1st 2 rounds would be something I'd try and do as well.

Trade avenue; I try to push to get Spezza or Vinny. Once that fails, look at guys like Gagne, Marleau, Briere, Ruutu, etc. Lots of options, all would probably be tough, but no one is untouchable.
After landing that center, using any players not named Hemsky, Torres, Smyth, York, Brewer, Semenov I go and try and land a starting goalie. Now I'm a lot more picky about goalies than most, and only certain ones would fit my bill. Ahonen or Garon would not. Noronen would, he is ready to play 60+ games IMO and would do a better job than our current options by a long shot. Other than him though, the only goalies I'd be happy bringing in are ones that have allready established themselves, ie Giguere, Luongo, Denis, and even Aebischer. So maybe I'm not as gung ho on a goalie as I let on to be, but if I was Lowe, I'd push hard for Noronen before he becomes an established goalie and gets out of our price range. There's a glut of goalies there, somethings gotta budge, I'm guessing Biron is out, but not interested in him, but if Noronen is available, hopefully it's Edmonton he's moved to.

UFA avenue;
Try and get Nedved back for 2 years @ $7.5 or for just the one year at $4 works for me too, depending on which kind of deal Nedved would want, I prefer the one year one though. If we can't get Nedved at that kind of cash, screw it. We never have been able to outbid anybody, and next year would not be an exception. For my lines, I'm going to assume we weren't able to get him for that price.

Smyth-York-Dvorak
Torres-Spezza-Hemsky
Isbister-Reasoner-Pisani
Rita-Horcoff-Laraque

Brewer-Semenov
Staios-Cross
Ulanov-Bergeron

Noronen
Markannen

The trades to get these guys:
Spezza, Langfeld for Stoll, Smith, Moreau, Phi 1st
I'm guessing Ottawa won't win the cup this year, which will pressure them to get more character players, ie Stoll, Smith, Moreau. Langfeld is thrown in from Ottawa as there not going to want two forwards come in and only deal one. He can be used on the 4th line to break in Rita with them splitting the games. I'm not sure if that's enough, I'd be willing to change the pick to the Oilers 1st or add a 2nd rounder. Ottawa wouldn't want other players, so can't throw in Rita or anything like that.

Chimera, Salmalainen for Noronen
With the combination of these two deals, our forward depth is totally shot down, but I think with some of the up and comers(Mihknov, Niinimakii, etc) we'll be able to handle it. Chimera IMO will not get the time to do anything here and will never be given a shot to produce offensivly. His speed could do well in Buffalo along with Salmalainen as well.

We lose character and depth, but get quality talent, something we need desparatly. We'd still have plenty of heart and charactor IMO, we'd just have the skill to go along with it now. Anyways, I'm ready for this to be ripped to shreds, so I look forward to it

Old
04-14-2004, 05:21 PM
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor

just for fun

Tukonen Nedved Dvorak
York Spezza Hemsky
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Torres Stoll Horcoff

Rita Salmelainen

Brewer-Semenov
Staios-Ulanov
Woywitka Lynch
Bergeron Thelen
Markkanen Conklin

14th tradeup Smith & Chimera - select Tukonen or Picard
23rd tradeup Niinimäki & Isbister - select Thelen or Radulov
Smyth & Laraque for Spezza

Old
04-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Harry

Quote:
1. Reasoner is far from nothing. Did you notice when this team went into a major tailspin this year?

2. Stoll was on the third line for quite some time this year.

3. We don't really have a lot of AHL calibre forwards on our team, we just have too many forwards period. Our problem is not Reasoner though. Our problem is having a lack of a top line centre, and our exesive depth on the wing.
I think your rating the team too high. They are in dire need at centre especially. After Stoll I think there is a major problem. You may rate them high but Lowe has to improve a lot at that position, something he failed to do last summer. Like the Flames you def is fine, with all the good prospects in the system. But I do believe some changes have to be made with the forwards. Dont make excuses. They werent good enough. They missed the playoffs. nuff said

Old
04-14-2004, 05:47 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
I think your rating the team too high. They are in dire need at centre especially. After Stoll I think there is a major problem. You may rate them high but Lowe has to improve a lot at that position, something he failed to do last summer. Like the Flames you def is fine, with all the good prospects in the system. But I do believe some changes have to be made with the forwards. Dont make excuses. They werent good enough. They missed the playoffs. nuff said
Allright, so what does that have to do with Reasoner being nothing? When he was here, he played exceptional, no question about it. Problem was he got injured, and it's not like that's a reocurring theme with him either. Sure that's no excuse for not making the playoffs, but it's certainly not Reasoner's fault. Problem was, not enough high end depth at center. York is quite capable of 1st line, Reasoner I'd have no problem with being a 2nd line center, but that is pushing it s he's best suited for 3rd line(same with Horcoff and Stoll). So thing is, we need another top 2 line center, more just in case of injury. If we happened to have our centers stay healthy all season, we're fine. Last year we had Reasoner miss most of the season, and York was out for a while too, leaving us with no centers worthy of playing in the top 6. Big problem.

Old
04-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Oi'll say!

Hemsky & both 1st rounders
for
Ovechkin or Malkin

Smytty Nedved Dvorak
Torres Reasoner Isbister
Moreau Horcoff Pisani
Chimera Stoll Laraque

Smith Staios