HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

All-Star Weekend - Blues Style

Old
01-26-2008, 07:21 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 500
All-Star Weekend - Blues Style

Manny Legace is incredible today. I know its just the skills competition but his work in the Young Stars game was amazing to watch. That pass he made to break Pat Kane was sick.

EJ had a nice goal and Perron had a fantastic goal as well.

For all the chicken littles, this is what it is all about and I for one am now thankful I am not GM of this franchise because I was right there, booing the signing of Legace but it may be the single best signing we've made this decade.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Checker*

You could tell Legace was having the time of his life out there. I love it when players actually look thrilled to be a part of an all-star game. Good to see Perron and EJ getting involved in the scoring.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 07:25 PM
General Veers

Everything Manny said was hilarious! Perfect person to mic during the game and interview after it. And Perron's move on his breakaway?
EJ was making plays the whole time and even took the opening draw!
This was really entertaining!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 07:26 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Legace was great. The on-ice commentary from him was a nice addition to the game. The Young Stars game this year was much better than last year's snoozefest. Boy, Osgood was a sieve.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 07:26 PM
ynot89

there was a complete difference between manny and osgood. Osgood looked like he didn't really give a damn while manny was standing on his head and being funny at the same time!

Go MANNY!!!!

ynot89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 07:44 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

damnit....Legace wasn't mic'd for the CBC feed here in Canada.

Old
01-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Anywhere to see this replayed online? I wasn't able to see this today

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynot89 View Post
Manny was standing on his head and being funny at the same time!
Yes! And his playing well while miked was even more impressive, as the announcers were asking him stupid questions while opponents were skating in on him on 2 on ones or 2 on none breakaways!!! Isn't a goalie's job hard enough when his defence lets him down????

The 3 on 3 is too loose. It should be 5 on 5. With only weak hitting and light checking, there would be enough scoring in any case.

What is with the stinginess timewise??? Next year they should have The Young Stars game have three 10 minute periods with clock stoppages, referees, linesmen and young goalies. The teams should have 20 players each. It should be like a 2nd junior All Star Game.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 09:14 PM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Yes! And his playing well while miked was even more impressive, as the announcers were asking him stupid questions while opponents were skating in on him on 2 on ones or 2 on none breakaways!!! Isn't a goalie's job hard enough when his defence lets him down????

The 3 on 3 is too loose. It should be 5 on 5. With only weak hitting and light checking, there would be enough scoring in any case.

What is with the stinginess timewise??? Next year they should have The Young Stars game have three 10 minute periods with clock stoppages, referees, linesmen and young goalies. The teams should have 20 players each. It should be like a 2nd junior All Star Game.
I agree the game was way to short and everytime it was a 2 on 1 2 on none, I would like to see 4 on 4, 3 periods 10 mins each.
To add to everyone elses coments, you could tell this was Manny's first allstar game, he was having the time of his life

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 09:33 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
I was right there, booing the signing of Legace but it may be the single best signing we've made this decade.
You're not alone, I was a nay sayer also. I am really happy to admit I was wrong. Manny was the star of the show tonight.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 09:34 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Boy, Osgood was a sieve.
Flashbacks.

Old
01-26-2008, 09:52 PM
mmitchell19

Manny & DiPietro were the stars of the show tonight...it was much more fun listening to those guys at ice level than the commentators in the booth. Manny definitely came to play, while Osgood did not, as noted above.

I echo sentiments above that the 3-on-3 wasn't an ideal format. It scarcely resembled a hockey game...more like "fun time" at the end of a practice. Everyone was coasting. We saw offense, to be sure...but we didn't see much of what these young men really bring to the table vis a vis their all-around games.

And man was it annoying when they ran 30-second replays of goals while there was live game action going on.

Perron's move was completely insane. I didn't think it was physically possible to handle the puck so many times across such a short distance of ice. If he pulled that off in a shootout in front of a full house at the Scotty, he wouldn't make it back to Nelson's house that night due to all the puck bunnies throwing themselves at him.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 10:22 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post
Manny & DiPietro were the stars of the show tonight...it was much more fun listening to those guys at ice level than the commentators in the booth. Manny definitely came to play, while Osgood did not, as noted above.

I echo sentiments above that the 3-on-3 wasn't an ideal format. It scarcely resembled a hockey game...more like "fun time" at the end of a practice. Everyone was coasting. We saw offense, to be sure...but we didn't see much of what these young men really bring to the table vis a vis their all-around games.

And man was it annoying when they ran 30-second replays of goals while there was live game action going on.

Perron's move was completely insane. I didn't think it was physically possible to handle the puck so many times across such a short distance of ice. If he pulled that off in a shootout in front of a full house at the Scotty, he wouldn't make it back to Nelson's house that night due to all the puck bunnies throwing themselves at him.
Did you see Perron in the locker room after the Youngstars game? Man is he small! If this kid can add ten or more pounds of beefcake over the summer, given his attitude, he is going to be great. It's amazing that he is as agressive as he is with his lean frame. He can handle the bunnies, they are probably tougher on the body than the Wings.

Old
01-27-2008, 01:17 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 2146
Boy was Manny Legacy was great to night. His play, his enthusiasm, and his commentary were all great and what you hope to get out of an all star game. You're lucky to have him.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 12:30 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

there's no way they go to 3 periods, 10 minutes of 5 on 5 for the youngstars. I would be happy if they went to the 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 for 2-8 minute periods without stoppages but the skills competition isn't NHL hockey.

Its to showcase the game. Its to give the fans a taste. The young stars game is the most fun I had watching yesterday because they were just out there having fun. There were some good moves, Manny was #1 star in my books.

I also enjoyed the breakaway skills competition. It was lousy presentation and Nabakov obviously missed the point but if the NHL needs to seem similar to the NBA to bring in the fans in the south, I am all for it.

Who was that tool from the tv show who was judging though. Jesus.

Old
01-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Mike6749

Haha. Osgood is playing horrible (as evidenced by the crowd's "Hey Osgood, You Suck!"). 5 goals in the 1st period. Hopefully the Wings have to lean heavily on Howard and Glass Man in the second half.

Mike6749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 06:01 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6749 View Post
Haha. Osgood is playing horrible (as evidenced by the crowd's "Hey Osgood, You Suck!"). 5 goals in the 1st period. Hopefully the Wings have to lean heavily on Howard and Glass Man in the second half.
I don't think this game will dethrone Osgood from being the starter. He's been successful so far this year, and I don't think an all star game will change that.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Mike6749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
I don't think this game will dethrone Osgood from being the starter. He's been successful so far this year, and I don't think an all star game will change that.
It certainly won't dethrone him. Maybe last night's performance and that attempt of a performance tonight are signs of season fatigue.

Mike6749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 06:04 PM
StLooFrenchy

That is the Osgood I remember.