HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Plekanec become a 1st line center ?

Old
01-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Stephen Locke*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
Many posters around here will do anything to discredit Koivu even flat out lie.
Unfortunately,it's true.

These diehard bashers will state anything,even an obvious lie to somehow prove their point against Koivu.-My friend saw Koivu in the lockeroom and he hates frenchies and eats babies.This board is saturated by them and I think we should evacuate this garbage who pollutes these boards.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 09:44 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
Since Plakanec is playing for the habs, he always improved his play. It started in Hamilton and it still continues. Last year, he had a bad start of season with Samsonov and Kovalev on the 2nd line. However, in the last part of the year, he was by far our best forward. If I'm not wrong he almost had an average of 1 PPG during the second half of the year. He was also doing a good job on the PK.

Now, we know Koivu is getting old and his carreer will be over in a few years. And we also know Koivu (or maybe Kovalev) is our best offensive forward.

However, Plekanec is better defensively than Koivu and if he was given 1st line minutes and more PP time, he would have put up better numbers than what he had this year. How much points he would have gotten ? I don't know. Could he replace our captain when he will retire ?

So, do you think he has the potential to be a 1st line center ?

Points-wise, skating-wise, defensive awareness-wise, PP-wise, PK-wise, is Pleks in the top 30? What do we really think?

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 01-26-2008 at 09:58 PM.
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 09:46 PM
goalchenyuk

good idea to update this old trade .

Incredible how Plekanec is doing well this season . Who would have said that he was going to play that good and that he would be our first liner center ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 09:48 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Fever View Post
NHL wise or Habs wise? Because a lot of teams don't have a real NHL 1st line center.

Anyways, I don't think Plekanec is or will ever become a 1s line center (in the NHL I mean). A good 2nd line center, yes.
OK, math whiz. How many real first line centremen are there in the league?

Old
01-26-2008, 09:51 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Playing with a broken ankle?
The new standard now?

A first-line centre is one who plays with a broken ankle?

Old
01-26-2008, 09:52 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
This is more a question than an argument but can someone name me established number 1 centers who weren't seen as number 1 centers after spending 2 years in the league? Quite frankly, I don't think it's something you can develop.
First try naming all the #1 centres in the league.

I'll give you a clue.

There are 30 teams.

Old
01-26-2008, 09:54 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Peter Stastny
Slovak, no?

Old
01-26-2008, 09:54 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The President View Post
Unfortunately,it's true.

These diehard bashers will state anything,even an obvious lie to somehow prove their point against Koivu.-My friend saw Koivu in the lockeroom and he hates frenchies and eats babies.This board is saturated by them and I think we should evacuate this garbage who pollutes these boards.
Kind of stories like these ones ?

Ribeiro tried to seduce the young girl of someone from the management , and that 's why Gainey traded him

Ribeiro was a cancer in the room

Ribeiro was doing cocaine all the time ...

Ribeiro was having a bad influence on Latendresse ...

Old
01-26-2008, 09:55 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
That sounds about right.
If you agree that Koivu would be in the second tier of #1 centremen (16-30), then seeing as Plekanec has more points, better plus/minus and kills penalties better, where does that put HIM?

Old
01-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
Since Plakanec is playing for the habs, he always improved his play...do you think he has the potential to be a 1st line center ?
Wake up and smell the coffee--he's already a 1st line center. And he has more than enough finesse to do the job.

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 10:00 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
If you agree that Koivu would be in the second tier of #1 centremen (16-30), then seeing as Plekanec has more points, better plus/minus and kills penalties better, where does that put HIM?
the thread was made probably at the begining of the season ; that 's why the evaluations of Koivu and Plekanec seem to be wrong . I don't think that anybody still beleive that Saku is our first liner center .

Old
01-26-2008, 10:07 PM
LesHabsRock

The following are considered by many to be legit number one NHL calibre centers:

Eric Staal - 48 pts
Daniel Briere - 48 pts
Scott Gomez - 47 pts
Jason Arnott - 44 pts
Brad Richards - 41 pts

My point? Well, Plekanec has 42 pts yet he doesn't get consideration or the respect to be called a #1 center? The fact is that he IS now the Habs number one center or perhaps 1A. Based on production and the strength of his linemates his line is the Habs number one line, therefore, making him the number one center. He is only 5 pts behind Gomez who has most of you wetting their pants over how good he is, yet he is a mere 5 points up on Pleks. I just don't get it.

Plekanec may compare in some ways to Briere and Gomez' style of play meaning he's a great skater, quick and has a great shot. Plekanec will only get better as he's already proven to us. That's the scarey part. The guy is a legit number one center.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Kind of stories like these ones ?

Ribeiro tried to seduce the young girl of someone from the management , and that 's why Gainey traded him

Ribeiro was a cancer in the room

Ribeiro was doing cocaine all the time ...

Ribeiro was having a bad influence on Latendresse ...

Ribeiro was a piece of **** and everyone knew it. Only members of his fanclub like you think otherwise.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Belso

I say he reminds me of a second line Alfredsson. Or a poor man's Alfredsson. They both posses good vision, play smart, work hard and are consistent.

Plekanec can be called upon to play on the first line, but is better suited on the second line... Or in the case with the Habs, they Have Saku who some will swear is a second center. So the Habs have two Good second/weak first line centers..

that's fine with me. It's good for a team to have 2 good scoring lines. It's harder for other teams to defend against.

It is s little different this season. Saku's not having a great season and Ryder just sucks this year, but if they start to play well after the all-star break, that team will improve and be even better then what they are now and they are already playing good hockey...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Ledevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Ribeiro was a piece of **** and everyone knew it. Only members of his fanclub like you think otherwise.
You're just reinforcing his point.

And to get back on topic, yes he can become a first line center. Koivu and him are similar players but Plekanec has something that will help him, and something that Koivu has lacked during his career: a fast deceiving shot. Koivu is a better passer though.

Ledevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Chfan
HFB Partner

I dunno if he will become an 1st line center if he continues to progress but he definitely isn't the 3rd line center some people is claiming.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 12:00 AM
peperebougon*

Wake up guys he is already a first line center.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote