HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sheldon Souray says it best...

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 04:18 PM
sonnytheman

vCash: 500
I don't like playing the blame game, but since we're on the topic of "The Goal" as well as Souray's comments, I might as well chime in with my two cents:

A few things about Souray's comments bothered me. If he singled out Kovalev, why not single out himself too.

1. Double-overtime....what is a defenceman doing in front of the puck carrier??? You can't take that type of risk! Had Souray come out and said that he was out of position, then I would have a GREAT deal of respect for him.

2. He commented that he was "surprised" that there was no one behind Kovalev....did he not know his defence partner was going off on a change? He was facing that direction! That's called not knowing what's going on around you, and that is worrisome.

3. Kovalev was going in a straight line and the puck was near his skates. Souray skated up to him, grabbed the puck, then skated into Kovalev, freeing the puck for Murray. That was horrible! Murray wasn't all that close, Souray had all types of options to get the puck out of harms way. I bet you if Markov had been there, the Habs don't even lose possession.

Finally, whoever said that Souray's comments were meant to motivate the team.....listen to Mike Ribeiro. His comments were exactly what everyone on the team should have said. I have a lot of respect for him, because he had such a never-say-die attitude in his interview, and seemed so calm and sure that the team would win. That's how you motivate a team, not by calling out players.

Kovalev does deserve some blame, sure, but don't forget that he has been one of the best forwards the past two games. The Canucks never said a single bad thing about Cloutier after he let in the Lidstrom centre-ice goal, it should definitely not be any different here.

One last thing....some blame has to go to Theodore as well. I was pretty surprised at how well the defenseman coming back was able to force Murray to shoot quickly. In the regular season, Theodore saves that shot and nobody thinks twice about Kovalev's blunder, but he missed that one big-time. He has been horrible in the playoffs, and has completely failed to help out his teammates.

Old
04-14-2004, 04:24 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
i think its refreshing to hear them speak their minds
Maybe for you but not for the team.

Old
04-14-2004, 04:30 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnytheman
1. Double-overtime....what is a defenceman doing in front of the puck carrier??? You can't take that type of risk! Had Souray come out and said that he was out of position, then I would have a GREAT deal of respect for him.
He was the pass option for Kovalev. That's how hockey is played... The rest of the team was changing, so the play was for Kovalev to pass to Souray, then for Souray to dump it after crossing the red line and change himself.

Old
04-14-2004, 04:38 PM
justicex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
1) This was a penalty no matter what people are saying and a big one...

2) The guy while having stop playing still make sure the puck was going to Souray on the play. He's the one who have play soft on the play... No way this contact between the two is Kovalev fault!!! He was not even skating anymore on the play. This puck should have been dump in the neutral zone at the VERY first second Souray touch it.

3) And while we are at it, In overall i think we cannot say a damn thing about a player who have just play perhaps the most dominant game by a player in all series so far except for goalies... He was everywhere, he was pushing hard, backing in defensive, He was great, that's it.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:41 PM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDuke
In Edmonton there is an excellant puck moving defenseman that is starting to come in to his own. He's french Canadian and this off season I could see a trade being made swaping Edmonton Alberta born and raised Sheldon Souray for Marc Andre Bergeron.

haha...no chance in Hell of that happening. Souray's good, but we already have Smith and Staios that play similar roles. MAB is one of our most promising young players.

Smith and Staios are similar to Souray in terms of toughness, but Souray's got that bullet shot from the point that could help the oilers. I'm just speculating but I think Klowe would take that. Edmonton boy comes home to play is always a great story.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Breenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnytheman
I don't like playing the blame game, but since we're on the topic of "The Goal" as well as Souray's comments, I might as well chime in with my two cents:

A few things about Souray's comments bothered me. If he singled out Kovalev, why not single out himself too.

2. He commented that he was "surprised" that there was no one behind Kovalev....did he not know his defence partner was going off on a change? He was facing that direction! That's called not knowing what's going on around you, and that is worrisome.

3. Kovalev was going in a straight line and the puck was near his skates. Souray skated up to him, grabbed the puck, then skated into Kovalev, freeing the puck for Murray. That was horrible! Murray wasn't all that close, Souray had all types of options to get the puck out of harms way. I bet you if Markov had been there, the Habs don't even lose possession.

Finally, whoever said that Souray's comments were meant to motivate the team.....listen to Mike Ribeiro. His comments were exactly what everyone on the team should have said. I have a lot of respect for him, because he had such a never-say-die attitude in his interview, and seemed so calm and sure that the team would win. That's how you motivate a team, not by calling out players.

Kovalev does deserve some blame, sure, but don't forget that he has been one of the best forwards the past two games. The Canucks never said a single bad thing about Cloutier after he let in the Lidstrom centre-ice goal, it should definitely not be any different here.

One last thing....some blame has to go to Theodore as well. I was pretty surprised at how well the defenseman coming back was able to force Murray to shoot quickly. In the regular season, Theodore saves that shot and nobody thinks twice about Kovalev's blunder, but he missed that one big-time. He has been horrible in the playoffs, and has completely failed to help out his teammates.
OK then, mistakes that Kovalev made on the play:

1) Trying to stickhandle his way through the middle of the ice in double overtime, when he was the last man back.

2) Giving the puck to 32 goal man Glen Murray.

3) droping his stick

4) giving up on the play

5) Running into Souray, the only man with a chance of catching Murray.

6) Thinking that there could be a chance of a penalty called when his team has already had a powerplay in overtime.

7) Not acepting the blame, and saying that Souray "lost the puck"

and what did Souray do wrong?

1) Having the audacity to pinch when there were several players back to back him up.

2)?

Closed Thread