HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Maroon as a late-rounder?

Old
05-30-2007, 12:51 PM
mmitchell19

vCash: 500
Pat Maroon as a late-rounder?

Hi all -

Just curious if anyone thought it a good idea to look at Pat Maroon in the later rounds of the draft. I saw him play once earlier this year, and then saw a blurb about him & the Bandits in THN, and it got me to thinking...(following facts per THN, to the best of my memory)...

6'4", 227lb, LW

95 points in (I can't remember how many) NAHL games this season

Draft-eligible this year, but not rated by ISS

Led the Bandits to the Robertson Cup

Committed to play for Ferris State next year

Anyone think this might be a "what the heck, he's here in our backyard, let's take a stab at him" kind of pick this year? It's the NAHL, I grant you, but he was pretty dominant based on the one game I saw & his stats over a full season. Perhaps he could develop into the Backes mode in 3-4-5 years?

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post
Hi all -

Just curious if anyone thought it a good idea to look at Pat Maroon in the later rounds of the draft. I saw him play once earlier this year, and then saw a blurb about him & the Bandits in THN, and it got me to thinking...(following facts per THN, to the best of my memory)...

6'4", 227lb, LW

95 points in (I can't remember how many) NAHL games this season

Draft-eligible this year, but not rated by ISS

Led the Bandits to the Robertson Cup

Committed to play for Ferris State next year

Anyone think this might be a "what the heck, he's here in our backyard, let's take a stab at him" kind of pick this year? It's the NAHL, I grant you, but he was pretty dominant based on the one game I saw & his stats over a full season. Perhaps he could develop into the Backes mode in 3-4-5 years?
He's rated as an 8th round pick by CSB, so I could see some team (probabaly the Blues) taking a flier on him.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 01:06 PM
steemkatz

I think with the Blues missing the boat with Paul Statsny, I think it would be smart for the Blues to take a flyer on him in the late rounds. Pat is a bit rough around the edges, but you can't teach his size and his hands. I have watched him play for the last four years and he has continued to improve every year. I know he signed up at Ferris State, but he might be better suited to play major juniors for two more years.

steemkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 01:36 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
If Jarmmo thinks he's worth it, we'll get him.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 03:34 PM
CuSa_1

Isn't this the guy that played at the Blues prospect camp last summer?

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 03:58 PM
steemkatz

Yes it is....

steemkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 04:55 PM
CCBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
If Jarmmo thinks he's worth it, we'll get him.

Yep.

CCBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 04:14 AM
dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by steemkatz View Post
Pat is a bit rough around the edges, but you can't teach his size and his hands.
Pat is alot rough around the edges. He needs to learn to play with more intensity, learn to hustle, and learn to backcheck.

His hands and on-ice vision are amazing. With better linemates he could have racked up 150 points this season.

dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 10:05 PM
aaabrownie

He scored 95 pts in 57 games lead the league in scoring was league MVP
Led his team to the national championship led the league in playof scoring with 23 pts in 12 games including 3 gwg.Playoff all-star and MVP.
All this as an 18 yearold (turned19 in playoffs) in a league normaly dominated by older players 19 and 20 year olds. Very impressive the blues must draft this kid he is well worth a pick. Look how bad their decision not to draft staeny looks now. If they don't they will regret it just as much.

aaabrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 12:39 PM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaabrownie View Post
He scored 95 pts in 57 games lead the league in scoring was league MVP
Led his team to the national championship led the league in playof scoring with 23 pts in 12 games including 3 gwg.Playoff all-star and MVP.
All this as an 18 yearold (turned19 in playoffs) in a league normaly dominated by older players 19 and 20 year olds. Very impressive the blues must draft this kid he is well worth a pick. Look how bad their decision not to draft staeny looks now. If they don't they will regret it just as much.
I was watching the All-Access special this weekend, and it reminded me of Mr. Maroon when I heard Jarmo announce the 6th-round pick of Anthony Peluso (Maroon was taken by Philly with the next pick).

After tearing up the NAHL last year, Pat is leading the London Knights of the OHL this season with 68 pts (29-39) in 44 GP. This is 23 points higher than the team's next-leading scorer (Aliu). He's among the league's Top Ten scorers (8th), along with names like MacLean, Tavares, Stamkos, et al. He's the only OHL rookie among the Top 20 in league scoring.

He's rated as a 6.5C, and isn't among Philly's Top 20 prospects (as rated by HF), but he is 3rd on their prospect pool's LW depth chart.

Remind me again why we didn't spend a 6th-round pick on this guy last year?

I'm very intrigued at how the scouting business works. Looking strictly at numbers, and the physical attributes, I can't believe this guy didn't get picked higher.

All you amateur scouts out there...can you provide some insight? Any / all replies are appreciated...thanks!

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

The knock on him is his heart. He lacks motivation and is nothing more than a skill offensive player. His skating has been described as poor. This is all what I have heard.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 01:10 PM
c-carp

Philly must like him he has already signed and is in their system

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 04:12 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
Philly must like him he has already signed and is in their system
yeah, I was gonna say I already have him on my fantasy hockey prospect roster and he needs to have been signed/drafted to be there.

now if we make a deal with Philly...perhaps a toss in prospect to even out the deal.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote