HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Selanne is back!

Old
01-28-2008, 05:44 PM
wedge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Anyways, I don't have anything against Burke...he did a fine job, but I lost a lot of respect for Selanne and Niedermayer.
Why Selanne? He could do what he wanted!! He didn't have a contract!!!

It's the Niedermayer thing that is frustrating as the guy didn't respect his contract.

anyway.. yes I think it's frustrating to see what the ducks have done, but what the hell... I just hope they lose in the first round.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I hope we'll not see a situation like this again. The NHL have to do something. We have a deadline to sign our prospects, and their should be a deadline for the NHL players too.

It should be somewhere in november...

It's kind of ridiculous...a player can wait for more than half of the season, and sign with a cup contending team. WTH...

Anyways, I don't have anything against Burke...he did a fine job, but I lost a lot of respect for Selanne and Niedermayer.
I disagree, I find that GMs thinking outside the box into getting their best possible playoff lineup is what makes the management side of hockey fun to watch.

Better teams = better playoff series

Bending the rules is fine as far as I'm concerned, if the league sets management standards which are too strict, it will only hurt the competitiveness of teams and the net product as far as I'm concerned.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 05:55 PM
airlouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarovski View Post
Why Selanne? He could do what he wanted!! He didn't have a contract!!!

It's the Niedermayer thing that is frustrating as the guy didn't respect his contract.

anyway.. yes I think it's frustrating to see what the ducks have done, but what the hell... I just hope they lose in the first round.
LOL, they just cant lose now...

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:05 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlouche View Post
Wow, Anaheim have an incredible lineup How can a team beat them in the playoff now? Just look how they were strong in last year post season, imagine this year!
As a Ducks and Habs fan I love this

Hehe...

Bertuzzi - Getzlaf - Perry
Kunitz - Weight - Selanne
Moen - Pahlsson - Niedermayer
May - Marchant - Parros
Extras: Bochenski, Sutherby

Niedermayer - Beauchemin
Pronger - O'Donnell
Schneider - Huskins
Extras: Dipenta

Giguere
Hiller

As for the people who are mad, your just jealous cause you know that the Ducks just fooled the NHL and the Habs didnt. If Montreal did this, everyone would be jumping for joy and it would be the other teams complaining.

Also those saying Schneider will be playing 10-15 min per game are stupid and dont watch the Ducks. He will still get 18+ and this takes less pressure off of Nidermayer, Beauchemin and Pronger to play 25+. They have 5 defenseman who are able to play 18+ minutes a night and not be a liability, thats tough.

Ducks and Habs in Finals!!!

Last edited by chaosrevolver: 01-28-2008 at 06:33 PM.
chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Beakermania*

Hnidy is in Boston now. But other than that very minor move.... That lineup is damn scary.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Stewart JH Esq MBE

Great news. Teemu is everyone's original man crush. Or should be anyway.

Here's a nice picture of me, realising my long lasting dream of meeting him.

Stewart JH Esq MBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:33 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Hnidy is in Boston now. But other than that very minor move.... That lineup is damn scary.
Damn I keep forgetting that.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:44 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Ducks have 7th best winning pct. in the west, with 4 teams right behind them.
Not ready to give them a playoff spot, let alone The Cup just yet.
you should check their record with Neidermeyer in the lineup.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
As a Ducks and Habs fan I love this

Hehe...

Bertuzzi - Getzlaf - Perry
Kunitz - Weight - Selanne
Moen - Pahlsson - Niedermayer
May - Marchant - Parros
Extras: Bochenski, Sutherby

Niedermayer - Beauchemin
Pronger - O'Donnell
Schneider - Huskins
Extras: Dipenta

Giguere
Hiller

As for the people who are mad, your just jealous cause you know that the Ducks just fooled the NHL and the Habs didnt. If Montreal did this, everyone would be jumping for joy and it would be the other teams complaining.

Also those saying Schneider will be playing 10-15 min per game are stupid and dont watch the Ducks. He will still get 18+ and this takes less pressure off of Nidermayer, Beauchemin and Pronger to play 25+. They have 5 defenseman who are able to play 18+ minutes a night and not be a liability, thats tough.

Ducks and Habs in Finals!!!
Ducks is also a team I follow since I'm pretty young. I'm happy with the way the team play so far and with Selanne back, they will be very good. Next year, they will be able to be good without Niedermayer and Selanne with the progression of Ryan and Perry. They also have the first pick of Edm and they're first.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 07:11 PM
goalchenyuk

How long before new rumours of a trade pop up ?

May i suggest a trade ; Koivu-Ryder for Thorton-Beauchemin

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

As contract details become more available it appears that this situation gets more sweet for Anaheim.

Low base salary contract reported for Selanne with performance bonuses that won't go against the cap until next year. Means that Ducks can add yet another $5M salary without blinking this year.

Burke found himself a couple players in a good situation to dance with him.
Only thing left to do is hate the Ducks with a vengeance... Go Wings!

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiro View Post
Agreed with you !!, MTL-rules is just jealous...

If only Gainey was just half as good as Burke...
I wish he was able to sign Neids as a free agent and get Pronger at a bargain price as well. It's not like free agents refuse to sign here or anything.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 01-28-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I wish he was able to sign Neids as a free agent and get Pronger at a bargain price as well.
The minute that Gainey can find away to import hot weather, beaches, and California personal income tax legislation to Montreal every winter, he'll be on the same footing as Burke.

Until then people will believe that Burke is a genius.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 08:05 PM
MathMan

Quote:
ALow base salary contract reported for Selanne with performance bonuses that won't go against the cap until next year. Means that Ducks can add yet another $5M salary without blinking this year.
Don't count on it -- Burke already traded MacDonald for Weight because he needed to clear up space for next year. If he counts Teemu's bonuses against next year he's likely to bust that year.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I wish he was able to sign Neids as a free agent and get Pronger at a bargain price as well. It's not like free agents refuse to sign here or anything.
Quote:
The minute that Gainey can find away to import hot weather, beaches, and California personal income tax legislation to Montreal every winter, he'll be on the same footing as Burke.

Until then people will believe that Burke is a genius.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Don't count on it -- Burke already traded MacDonald for Weight because he needed to clear up space for next year. If he counts Teemu's bonuses against next year he's likely to bust that year.
Well... didn't y'all know ? :

Burke >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> God

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
If Nieds retires as expected he'll clear up 6mill that way...

Old
01-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I love how people hate Burke for being a genious.

You guys wouldn't say anything if it was Gainey.
How does that make Burke a genius? If not for that cup last yaer those guys are playing elswhere this year. Anaheim better win this year because they are really screwed cap-wise next year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Nobak

Wasn't there a blanket rule in the CBA that promised very harsh penalties for anyone who attempt to exploit any loophole to get around the cap?

I'm pretty certain I remember reading that, and frankly I think the league should act - especially about Niedermayer, but Selanne on top adds shadiness to the whole thing. It seems like a rule made exactly for this kind of situation.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 11:24 PM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
lol, it changes nothing except that he saves 1.5M$ maybe?
Yes, they save some cash but the cap hit remains the same so who cares if some investor gets more in his pockets?

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
Wasn't there a blanket rule in the CBA that promised very harsh penalties for anyone who attempt to exploit any loophole to get around the cap?

I'm pretty certain I remember reading that, and frankly I think the league should act - especially about Niedermayer, but Selanne on top adds shadiness to the whole thing. It seems like a rule made exactly for this kind of situation.
I think the situation the NHL put that rule in there for was for teams finding creative ways to offer players more money.... IMO the lockout was never about "competitive balance" in the league, it was all about "cost certainty."

As long as the players aren't getting more than their 55% of league revenues, i think Bettman could care less what Burke does to get players in his lineup.

Thats why he will allow him to suspend Niedermeyer without pay... but would not allow the Devils to put Mogilny on Long-Term IR. On Long-term IR Mogilny doesn't count against the cap but he still gets paid, with Nieds, he doesn't get paid.

Old
01-28-2008, 11:45 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post

There is no loophole...

Habs should ask Markov and Kovalev to retire next season and join up with the team half way through the season... How is that an advantage?
Do you think a GM can ask a player to retire for half a season so he can save money? Do you think any player who wants to play would agree to that?

If Saku decided he needed a sabatical at the end of his contract...why cant he be allowed to do it?

The problem is Burke was forced to sign Schneider when he really didn't want to.

I dont know why people are complaining....if it's such a loophole lets do it too....but by mid season we'll probably be out of the playoffs.
I'm pretty sure Burke would have rather have both Neids and Selane for the whole season.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 11:48 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
There is no loophole...

Habs should ask Markov and Kovalev to retire next season and join up with the team half way through the season... How is that an advantage?
Do you think a GM can ask a player to retire for half a season so he can save money? Do you think any player who wants to play would agree to that?

If Saku decided he needed a sabatical at the end of his contract...why cant he be allowed to do it?

The problem is Burke was forced to sign Schneider when he really didn't want to.

I dont know why people are complaining....if it's such a loophole lets do it too....but by mid season we'll probably be out of the playoffs.
I'm pretty sure Burke would have rather have both Neids and Selane for the whole season.
Agreed, but I am not certain they 'retired'. 'retired' players, to re-enter the league would require going through waivers. At least, thats what I remember.

My impression is these two were 'suspended without pay'.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
Agreed, but I am not certain they 'retired'. 'retired' players, to re-enter the league would require going through waivers. At least, thats what I remember.

My impression is these two were 'suspended without pay'.
Close, but not quite...

Retired players must be out for at least one full year before they can apply for reinstatement... Niedermayer did not retire, he refused to report to training camp and was suspended without pay.

Selanne was a UFA who didn't sign a contract until today.

Old
01-29-2008, 12:30 AM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
There is no loophole...

I don't suppose anything prevents the player from just signing half price altogether if he wants to lessen his cap hit for the team, but in Niedermayer's case it had been signed before that summer and so it's not impossible both sides could have agreed to this. There is a very definite cap advantage in being able to secure a (trade-wise) free deadline rental.

But like Beaker said, I guess since he ultimately didn't get paid it's all within the rules.

Edit: I'm assuming the contract was not front-loaded. What would happen then, though?

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:03 AM
ari1160

only player who didnt get over paid this year, in fact he got under paid. i mean this guy almost got 50 goals and getting paid 0.6 million for remainder of the season + bonus.. its unreal. to bad he didnt consider the habs.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote