HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 -2009 Blues

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2008, 12:15 PM
  #26
Brandur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
I'm only going to deal with next year because I think after next season JD and co will be doing a major Evaluation on the "progress of the rebuild" and might make a couple of radical changes to the team if we aren't where they expected us to be.

What I would do next year:
Trade Jackman, Backman and McClement for assorted picks at this years deadline.
Let Rucinsky, MJ and Walker walk as UFA's.

Next years lineup:

Kariya-Berglund-Boyes
(Kariya and Boyes are effective regardless of who they are with which makes this an ideal spot for Berglund to develope)

Perron-MacDonald-Oshie
(I am extremely interested in finding out if Oshie and Perron have good chemistry together, they could be a dynamic offensive pairing if they do(Perron being the Super set-up man and Oshie being the finisher); MacDonald adds some speed, skill and veteran know-how to the line)

Stempniak-Tkachuk-Backes
(while the Kariya/Boyes combo may be our most productive offensive unit and MacDonald/Perron may be our most talented, this line is actually our most well rounded and I see no reason to split them up)

Hinote/King-RJ-Mayers
(Possibly the best energy line in the league)


Brewer - Salvador
(Top pairing until EJ takes the reigns as the #1 man)

FA Offensive D man(ideally Dan Boyle) - EJ
(EJ needs to focus more on his defensive duties and needs a partner that can shoulder the offensive load until he's ready)

McKee - Wagner
(your standard Puckmover/stay at home combo)

Polak/Woywitka
(an extra of each type of D man in case of injuries)

Manny-Toivonen

(I'm willing to give Toivonen another shot as the Back-up)
I think we're in agreement on most points, with the exception of our 4th lines--which has been an ongoing debate between you and I since last summer. I would swap McDonald and Tkachuk for the same reasons given by blueshead.

Also, I don't think we will sign any UFA defensemen, but I could see us trade for one. But really, that's just my preference.

Brandur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 02:36 PM
  #27
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandur View Post
I think Eller cold be just as successful as Perron if the Blues had the luxury of bringing him along slowly as they have for Perron. But you're right, it comes down to numbers. Unless he comes to town and impresses the pants off of Coach Murray, JD and the Blues brass, they simply will not have the roster space to keep him with the team. Any other potential rookies (Berglund, Oshie, Porter, Lemmy) are older and/or further along in development. Throwing Eller into the mix in that situation wouldn't be beneficial to him or the club, IMO. I disagree, however, that he isn't likely to come over. I'm confident he will show up for camp ready to make some noise, and I'm optimistic about his chances of winning a spot in Peoria, as well as his willingness to do so.
I have no doubt that Eller will come to North America for camp (as did Berglund-before returning to Sweden). But did Eller actually say that he'd be willing to play in Peoria NEXT season if he doesn't make the NHL roster out of camp?

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 04:08 PM
  #28
Brandur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I have no doubt that Eller will come to North America for camp (as did Berglund-before returning to Sweden). But did Eller actually say that he'd be willing to play in Peoria NEXT season if he doesn't make the NHL roster out of camp?
He has not said so, to my knowledge. This is just wishful thinking on my part.

That said, if the Blues start getting serious about promoting the deserving players in Peoria, they will have a lot more success in getting their European prospects to cross the pond and play, if necessary, in the AHL.

Case in point: Lemtyugov. He's playing fantastic hockey in Peoria right now. Is he ready for the NHL? Perhaps, perhaps not. But if he doesn't get a chance to earn a spot on the big club this year, and he sees guys like Oshie and Berglund jump ahead of him on the depth chart, he probably will go back to Russia. That will only deter our other European players from coming over.

But, say Lemmy gets a call up, performs well, and plays his way onto the NHL squad. Guys like Alexandrov will be encouraged by this, and might be enticed to come over.

Essentially, we need to reassure our prospects that there is upward mobility in the Blues organization for deserving players. Conversely, we need to show our veterans that there will be accountability. That performance is expected, not merely desired. That their big contracts doesn't grant them immunity, or entitle them to take nights off. There are many hungry, motivated kids in the organization that will battle hard to earn and keep a roster spot, as long as they believe it can be done. If not, they will seek greener pastures. Wouldn't you?

A young, enthusiastic team is, IMO, much more exciting to watch than a team of under-performing veterans.

Brandur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 04:22 PM
  #29
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandur View Post
He has not said so, to my knowledge. This is just wishful thinking on my part.

That said, if the Blues start getting serious about promoting the deserving players in Peoria, they will have a lot more success in getting their European prospects to cross the pond and play, if necessary, in the AHL.

Case in point: Lemtyugov. He's playing fantastic hockey in Peoria right now. Is he ready for the NHL? Perhaps, perhaps not. But if he doesn't get a chance to earn a spot on the big club this year, and he sees guys like Oshie and Berglund jump ahead of him on the depth chart, he probably will go back to Russia. That will only deter our other European players from coming over.

But, say Lemmy gets a call up, performs well, and plays his way onto the NHL squad. Guys like Alexandrov will be encouraged by this, and might be enticed to come over.

Essentially, we need to reassure our prospects that there is upward mobility in the Blues organization for deserving players. Conversely, we need to show our veterans that there will be accountability. That performance is expected, not merely desired. That their big contracts doesn't grant them immunity, or entitle them to take nights off. There are many hungry, motivated kids in the organization that will battle hard to earn and keep a roster spot, as long as they believe it can be done. If not, they will seek greener pastures. Wouldn't you?

A young, enthusiastic team is, IMO, much more exciting to watch than a team of under-performing veterans.
I agree with you 100% here. I just think that with Oshie, Berglund and Lemtyugov all being ahead of Eller in physical maturity, and also all not needing to adapt their game to The North American style, all having played in The Blues' system already and knowing more or less what is expected of them, and there being little extra room to win forward positions, I think it's very unlikely that Eller will make The Blues' NHL roster next season.

If Eller does well in camp and wants to start the season in Peoria, -I will be ecstatic. I'd love to see Nelson Ayotte work closely with him. 6:01 190 is a bit skinny, and I think he's not a really strong 190. After some months in The AHL, he is likely to have a short NHL trial later in the season. But, I just can't see him playing a regular line position for more than 20-25 NHL games next season. And, if I had to bet my house, now, on which country he'd play in the regular season in 2008-09, I'd put my money on Sweden.

But, I'd say that he's a good bet to play in St. Louis in 2009-10 (whether he plays 2 months in Peoria first, or starts in St. Louis).

It's going to be difficult enough to change the forward lines drastically again, to weave in Oshie, Berglund, possibly Lemtyugov, and maybe a player obtained in a trade. I don't think there is room for FOUR different players for Murray to start with short minutes, and coddle along.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 06:43 PM
  #30
kimzey59
Registered User
 
kimzey59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshead View Post
I like these lines alot with the exception being I would switch Tkachuk and Macdonald. I think a net crasher like Tkachuk could really click with the speed and playmaking abilities of a Perron and Oshie. And given the grit of Stempy and Backes as well as the sniper potential of Stemper, they would play off better on Macdonald's finesse. I would really like to see what Stempinak and Macdonald would look like. But anyway you look at it, I have faith that our O will come around.
I can see doing this, but I don't want to break up Perron and MacDonald. Those two are doing some real magic with the puck and are creating more scoring opportunities than any other tandem on the team(even Kariya/Boyes). Get them a real finisher(Oshie) to work with and I think this could be the #1 line on next years squad.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 06:48 PM
  #31
kimzey59
Registered User
 
kimzey59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandur View Post
Also, I don't think we will sign any UFA defensemen, but I could see us trade for one. But really, that's just my preference.
The problem with this is that I don't see any Defenseman out there that would fill the role we need to fill AND would be considered available in a trade AND won't force us to raid the farm system to acquire. Legit PPQB's are extremely hard to find and teams typically don't give them up once they find them. IMO the only way we'll get the D man we need is to sign Redden, Boyle or Liles this summer.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 07:16 PM
  #32
Brandur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
The problem with this is that I don't see any Defenseman out there that would fill the role we need to fill AND would be considered available in a trade AND won't force us to raid the farm system to acquire. Legit PPQB's are extremely hard to find and teams typically don't give them up once they find them. IMO the only way we'll get the D man we need is to sign Redden, Boyle or Liles this summer.
I see your point, I just think the players you mentioned will command too much moolah. Given how much we have already invested on defense, I can't see us being able to afford a free agent defenseman of the type we require without first moving one of the bigger contracts already on the books (i.e., Brewer or McKee).

If, however, we can unload Backman, forego any other expensive acquisitions and fill our holes at forward with prospects like I have suggested, then we might be able to add a free agent offensive defenseman.

Brandur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 04:08 PM
  #33
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,567
vCash: 500
Two astonishing predictions for next season -

Keith Tkachuk is gone.

Dave Baseggio coaches the Blues. Andy Murray is gone.

You read it here first.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 04:10 PM
  #34
Checker*
 
Checker*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Two astonishing predictions for next season -

Keith Tkachuk is gone.

Dave Baseggio coaches the Blues. Andy Murray is gone.

You read it here first.

If those come true I would be thrilled

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 04:28 PM
  #35
TrustInJarmo*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Two astonishing predictions for next season -

Keith Tkachuk is gone.

Dave Baseggio coaches the Blues. Andy Murray is gone.

You read it here first.
I could see Tkachuck being dealt at the deadline next year.

Not sure on the 2nd one.

I think JD will give Murray a lot more time.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 04:48 PM
  #36
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues
 
Randall Ritchey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,716
vCash: 500
Al MacInnis coach of the Blues in 2010!!

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 04:51 PM
  #37
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Two astonishing predictions for next season -

Keith Tkachuk is gone.

Dave Baseggio coaches the Blues. Andy Murray is gone.

You read it here first.
I'D LIKE THAT!!!

I'm not sure I want to see Murray coaching them next season. CERTAINLY NOT in 2009-10.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 05:00 PM
  #38
TrustInJarmo*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
Al MacInnis coach of the Blues in 2010!!
NO WAY!!!

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 05:21 PM
  #39
StLooFrenchy
Registered User
 
StLooFrenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern Illinois
Country: France
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
I think JD will give Murray a lot more time.
Absolutely. If Andy leaves soon it will be on his terms.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 05:38 PM
  #40
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
Al MacInnis coach of the Blues in 2010!!
He said he wants to be in the front office, so unless that has changed....it won't happen.

PS Who is calling for Andy's head now? Were you earlier this season? Just wonderin.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 05:45 PM
  #41
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues
 
Randall Ritchey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,716
vCash: 500
I was being sarcastic. Were all about the young guns. Andy doesn't like the young guns. Not a good combo.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 06:01 PM
  #42
BlueBleeder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Looking for others
Country: United States
Posts: 1,677
vCash: 500
What I'd like to see next year...

Kariya - Berglund - Boyes
Perron - McDonald - Backes
Stempniak - Tkachuk - Oshie
Lemtyguv - McClement - Mayers
Extra - RJ

Brewer - Salvador
EJ - McKee
Wagner - Polak
Extra - Woywitka, Cheap FA

Legace
Toivonen

-----------------------
Four lines with somebody can carry the puck on each one. One defenseman who can move the puck on each pairing.

First in line for a call up - Porter, Hellstrom, Drazenovic.

BlueBleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 08:18 PM
  #43
Glove side
Registered User
 
Glove side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington MO
Country: United States
Posts: 443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandur View Post

Jackman. Fan favorite, but lacks durability and hasn't adapted well to new NHL rules. He's practically timid compared to the beast he used to be. Polak will more than compensate for the loss of Jackman's grit. 1st round '08 pick + 4th round '08 pick + top tier prospect would be a good return.
Just to let people know, it has been said on the radio today that Jackman turned down an extension bc he wants to test the market. Personally, I think thats a good thing

Glove side is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.