HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ASG - commentary: AO over celabrate his goals

Old
01-29-2008, 06:53 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by czm View Post
Ovechkin acts like he loves to score goals. Sorry you're too blind to see that, or have sand in your female genitalia. If people have such an issue with the fact that Ovechkin loves to score goals and how he shows that by celebrating the way he does, then I'd hate to hear you complain about football players. The whining would go on for days.
Because I don't like how he acts, like he just scored a game winning goal I have female genitalia? Okay that makes sense. Ovechkin acts like he has just scored his first career goal. My belief is that when you score a goal show some class. I understand how some people like goal celebrations. I don't.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
i like his goal celebrations.. whats wrong with some emotion?
I do, too. I don't see anything wrong with guys being excited for scoring a goal. So long as they aren't taunting the other team, let them have fun.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 06:56 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I cheered when Dan Clearly hammered Dion Phaneuf into next week, and I wish Cleary would have done a little dance overtop of him while Phaneuf was staggering back to his feet wondering where he was.
Did Phaneuf steal your lunch money or something? The hate you have for him is pathetic.

Old
01-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Did Phaneuf steal your lunch money or something? The hate you have for him is pathetic.
So it's cool to cheer for some hypothetical scenario like Phaneuf hammering Ovechkin with a hit, but no one can cheer when the very same thing actually happens to Phaneuf? All right then.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 07:09 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
So it's cool to cheer for some hypothetical scenario like Phaneuf hammering Ovechkin with a hit, but no one can cheer when the very same thing actually happens to Phaneuf? All right then.
Cheering a hit is okay. Having the player do a dance while a player might be injured is another thing.

Old
01-29-2008, 07:13 PM
charger66

last week against the canucks, mikko scored and skated right by the vancouver benched and just let out a hell of scream right at all the players. Now, he does not make a habit of that, so i found it very funny. As for the wild, check out aaron voros when he scores. Good lord it's like he just won power ball. Hell even if a teamate score he just yells right in there face and give em a big ol' hip check. Once he scored on turco and stood right next to him and yelled in his face. The best part was turco slashed him and took a penalty. It was great!

celebrate away, it makes for good viewing.

charger66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 07:42 PM
snickerdoodles

I don't mind Ovie celebrating his goals. Now if it turned into a dance involving the rest of the team, two linesmen, and three drunken fans dancing to We Will Rock You by Queen and taking 10-15 minutes, then I might be a bit annoyed. Other than that, I'm good.

snickerdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Forever27

I love his goal celebrations. I'd love to see more of that in hockey. I'd love it if Naslund didn't look like he just watched a child die every time he scored.

Forever27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger66 View Post
last week against the canucks, mikko scored and skated right by the vancouver benched and just let out a hell of scream right at all the players. Now, he does not make a habit of that, so i found it very funny. As for the wild, check out aaron voros when he scores. Good lord it's like he just won power ball. Hell even if a teamate score he just yells right in there face and give em a big ol' hip check. Once he scored on turco and stood right next to him and yelled in his face. The best part was turco slashed him and took a penalty. It was great!

celebrate away, it makes for good viewing.
he did it because Ohlund broke his leg with a dirty slash and the canucks in general wanted him suspended for his "elbow".

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 10:46 PM
massivegoonery

Wait, figure skaters can do backflips but they're not allowed? Weak.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post

In winnipeg, WJC sealing the gold medal game. Pure gold.

This celebration is amazing. Russia came back from behind after 2 periods to bury the Canadians on home ice in their tourny. How can you not love it?

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:40 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

If you can't enjoy the pure excitement Ovechkin shows/feels when he OR a teammate scores, then you must hate hockey. It's pretty sad, but people always want to take a shot at guys at the top of their respective sports for the most petty things.

Standing over someone celebrating a hit is taunting.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:48 AM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
In winnipeg, WJC sealing the gold medal game. Pure gold.

This celebration is amazing. Russia came back from behind after 2 periods to bury the Canadians on home ice in their tourny. How can you not love it?
Seriously. I don't see how this is worse than anything Ovechkin's done.

Yet for Ovechkin it's passion, and Kovalchuk, it's arrogance.

The double standard is astounding.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:56 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
Seriously. I don't see how this is worse than anything Ovechkin's done.

Yet for Ovechkin it's passion, and Kovalchuk, it's arrogance.

The double standard is astounding.

Whoa whoa whoa.....

I happen to think what Kovy did was OK (in the WJC), just a bit "in your face" which will rub the losers of that game wrong.

Care to expand on the double standard remark? Ovechkin is at least consistant and goes crazy for his teammates scoring on every goal as well as his own. I don't see that from Kovy. That's why it stands out to people when he does something like pointing to Crosby in the penalty box (which btw I thought was hilarious).

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 01-30-2008 at 01:11 AM.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:22 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Because I don't like how he acts, like he just scored a game winning goal I have female genitalia? Okay that makes sense. Ovechkin acts like he has just scored his first career goal. My belief is that when you score a goal show some class. I understand how some people like goal celebrations. I don't.
I don't understand how he's being classless. He's not taunting, he's not directing anything at the opposition. He's not busting out some elaborate routine designed to showboat. He just gets excited. If the entire league could play the game with Ovechkin's enthusiasm, it would be a far better place. There are so many players in this league that you wonder if they even have fun because they don't show any emotion 90% of the time. it's refreshing that someone out there clearly enjoys the game and enjoys scoring.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:33 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever27 View Post
I love his goal celebrations. I'd love to see more of that in hockey. I'd love it if Naslund didn't look like he just watched a child die every time he scored.
which isn't all that often, so it shouldn't bother you that much!!!!!

joepeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 12:51 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Canucks fans continually ***** because Naslund doesn't show any emotion when he scores a goal and you're not *****ing because Ovechkin shows too much emotion?

You've got no legs in this argument.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:23 PM
gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I have to admit it kind of bugs me. He's obviously a great guy, loves life and all that, but his over-jubilating rubs me the wrong way. What's he going to do when he actually scores a meaningful goal? Pee his pants? I prefer the Joe Sakic approach.
Quote:
I always loved how Orr would celebrate his goals, with class. Ovechkin acts like he never scores goals....
I agree. When you over celebrate goals like Ovechkin does it just looks damn artificial. I have never understand it. Yzerman, Sakic, Lemieux etc. type of celebrating is much more classier. This is my opinnion.

gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:36 PM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Whoa whoa whoa.....

I happen to think what Kovy did was OK (in the WJC), just a bit "in your face" which will rub the losers of that game wrong.

Care to expand on the double standard remark? Ovechkin is at least consistant and goes crazy for his teammates scoring on every goal as well as his own. I don't see that from Kovy. That's why it stands out to people when he does something like pointing to Crosby in the penalty box (which btw I thought was hilarious).
Scoring 40+ goals few years in a row is pretty damn consistant if u ask me!

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:37 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
Scoring 40+ goals few years in a row is pretty damn consistant if u ask me!
Consistent in regards to celebrating goals.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 01:40 PM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Consistent in regards to celebrating goals.
Oh, ok, my bad! I didn't get it right.

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 04:02 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplovecraft View Post
What the hell is up with all that? How do you celebrate a goal by rubbing your teammate's ass?

Yikes.
Think they did more than just rub...

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Harold Snepsts

The only time AO's celebrations bug me a little is when the game is already lopsided.

Going nuts after scoring a goal when you're losing 6 to 1 is a little ridiculous. Same goes for if you're up by a bunch. It's a meaningless goal and no need to rub the other team's nose in it.

Otherwise, it's good to see someone express emotion out there.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 08:08 PM
VilleLeino

i wouldnt mind choreographed ice dancing celebrations.

VilleLeino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:39 PM
XploD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
The only time AO's celebrations bug me a little is when the game is already lopsided.

Going nuts after scoring a goal when you're losing 6 to 1 is a little ridiculous. Same goes for if you're up by a bunch. It's a meaningless goal and no need to rub the other team's nose in it.
He doesn't go nuts in those situations. Especially when his team is down by a lot. He still usually does his glove kiss-off but tones it down when it's lopsided.

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote