HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Soares

Old
01-27-2008, 03:19 AM
CuSa_1

vCash: 500
Josh Soares

Watching the NHL network and the ECHL all-star game is on. Josh looks really good so far (early 1st period). Curious as to whether or not he's Blues property? I remember seeing him at our prospects camp and can't recall if he was ours or not. Not listed on HF.

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Robb_K

I'm pretty sure Soares was originally signed by The Blues to an AHL/ECHL contract, and assigned to Alaska. I'm pretty sure he's Blues property. Peoria is OWNED by The St. Louis Blues, - so wouldn't players signed to AHL contracts have to be owned by St. Louis, and count towards their 50 contract limit?

I think it's different from the situation with a working agreement AHL farm team, which is NOT owned by the NHL team (like The Blues/Worcester relationship). Worcester signed players directly to AHL contracts. They were NOT owned by St. Louis. Alaska has a lot of players signed to ECHL contracts. They are NOT owned by The Blues.

Or am I mistaken, and AHL teams fully owned by NHL teams can also sign players to AHL contracts, that are NOT owned by the parent NHL team?

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I'm pretty sure Soares was originally signed by The Blues to an AHL/ECHL contract, and assigned to Alaska. I'm pretty sure he's Blues property.

Or am I mistaken, and AHL teams fully owned by NHL teams can also sign players to AHL contracts, that are NOT owned by the parent NHL team?
I am pretty sure you are right about Soares.

AHL teams can do the bolded statement.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
I am pretty sure you are right about Soares.

AHL teams can do the bolded statement.
I'm still not certain of your answer due to semantics. I know that AHL teams NOT OWNED or ONLY PARTIALLY-OWNED by the parent NHL team (that just have a working agreement with the parent NHL team) can sign players to an AHL contract, -and the player will NOT be owned by the parent NHL team.

But, what I wanted to know is: whether or not a player signed to an AHL team which is FULLY-OWNED by the parent NHL team, can sign players to AHL contracts, with the player being owned ONLY by the AHL team, and NOT by the NHL team(?).

Old
01-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Mike6749

Quote:
I'm still not certain of your answer do to semantics. I know that AHL teams NOT OWNED or only partially-owned by the parent NHL team that just have a working agreement with the parent NHL team can sign players to an AHL contract, -and the player will NOT be owned by the parent NHL team.

But, what I wanted to know is: whether or not a player signed to an AHL team which is FULLY-OWNED by the parent NHL team, can sign players to AHL contracts, with the player being owned ONLY by the AHL team, and NOT by the NHL team(?).
I believe they can. I remember hearing that Chris Beckford-Tseu is no longer property of the Blues but plays with Peoria. We may have to repurchase his rights through a contract.

Mike6749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6749 View Post
I believe they can. I remember hearing that Chris Beckford-Tseu is no longer property of the Blues but plays with Peoria. We may have to repurchase his rights through a contract.
You are right that The Blues would have to sign him (Soares or Beckford-Tseu) to an NHL contract before he could play for them in The NHL.

But the question I have is whether or not the player signed to an AHL contract (with a FULLY-OWNED subsidiary of an NHL team) and not to an NHL contract, is a totally unrestricted free agent when it comes to playing in The NHL, - or does the NHL team that directly owns the AHL team he's signed to, have first rights to sign him to an NHL contract. In other words, "they own his NHL rights IF they offer him an NHL contract". Of course, if they don't offer him an NHL contract, he can sign with any NHL team should he so desire.

But can Soares sign with any NHL team while his rights or option are owned by Peoria? I think that before B-T's and Soares' AHL contracts are over, The Blues have first rights to offer them NHL contracts -BEFORE those players can approach any other NHL team.

Old
01-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
You are right that The Blues would have to sign him (Soares or Beckford-Tseu) to an NHL contract before he could play for them in The NHL.

But the question I have is whether or not the player signed to an AHL contract (with a FULLY-OWNED subsidiary of an NHL team) and not to an NHL contract, is a totally unrestricted free agent when it comes to playing in The NHL, - or does the NHL team that directly owns the AHL team he's signed to, have first rights to sign him to an NHL contract. In other words, "they own his NHL rights IF they offer him an NHL contract". Of course, if they don't offer him an NHL contract, he can sign with any NHL team should he so desire.

But can Soares sign with any NHL team while his rights or option are owned by Peoria? I think that before B-T's and Soares' AHL contracts are over, The Blues have first rights to offer them NHL contracts -BEFORE those players can approach any other NHL team.
Yeah I am not too sure on that. IB would probably be the best to ask.

Old
01-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Habit AK

I just wanted to mention that Josh Soares is probably the best prospect we have seen from STL / PEO here in Alaska. He's not very big but he plays physical. He can kill penalties, and is the biggest scoring threat on our team by a wide margin. He has such an accurate shot he often turns marginal scoring chances into goals. It's been a pleasure to watch him play. I doubt he'll be down here all year, even though I hope he is. He won't see the ECHL after this season, that's for sure.

Habit AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit AK View Post
I just wanted to mention that Josh Soares is probably the best prospect we have seen from STL / PEO here in Alaska. He's not very big but he plays physical. He can kill penalties, and is the biggest scoring threat on our team by a wide margin. He has such an accurate shot he often turns marginal scoring chances into goals. It's been a pleasure to watch him play. I doubt he'll be down here all year, even though I hope he is. He won't see the ECHL after this season, that's for sure.
Will he be NHL capable in the future...in your opinion?

Old
01-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Habit AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
Will he be NHL capable in the future...in your opinion?
I honestly don't know if I can answer that. I've never seen a game above the ECHL level in person. When we saw Zack Fitzgerald back in 2005 for the first 10 games of the season I thought for sure he'd be in the NHL at some point, but then he was sent down at the end of the next season and was struggling even at the ECHL level.

I think if Soares takes his lumps in the ECHL this year he will make Peoria easily next year. If he continues his developement I don't see why he couldn't make the NHL. He has as much, if not more scoring touch as Charles Linglet and Chris Minard and is much more physical than either player, and he can kill penalties which neither of them do. (Minard played for the Aces for a couple seasons and is currently on callup to the Penguins.)

I haven't seen any other forwards play that are in the AHL right now, so that's the best comparison I can make.

Habit AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 02:34 AM
Twisted Rister

I believe Soars is on track for the NHL. Like Habitat stated his scoring margin is the best on the Aces and he is a great two way player. As far as size goes, with the way the NHL is changing I don't see that being a problem.

Josh has all the tools to move up the ladder. He does need to continue to work hard and keep on learning.

Twisted Rister is offline   Reply With Quote