HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

maybe Victor Kozlov wasn't the answer

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
maybe Victor Kozlov wasn't the answer

In Game 2, he was a healthy scratch for the devils. Tonight, he got 6 miutes of ice time, less than 1/2 of their third line RW, Turner Stevenson. Lots of guys thought he could be our answer for a big 1st line centre but Burns and Lou sure don't think much of him.

We could probably get him for real cheap this summer. I am thinking a 4th or 5th rounder would be enough because he has a pretty hefty contract for a guy who can't beat out Turner Stevenson for ice-time.

Old
04-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Matts

Yes

but unless he's willing to take a big paycut he'd be an Isbister like gamble.

Old
04-12-2004, 10:54 PM
SerbianEagle

Hopefully Neved stays, and if he doesn't Oilers should still steer clear of Kozlov.

Old
04-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Cerebral

I would stay away from Kozlov at all costs.. there are a lot better options out there than an overpaid Kozlov. I'm not a big fan of Conroy's but I'd much rather sign him in the off-season than acquire Victor. Just because a player is big doesn't neccessarily mean he plays big.. we need a centerman that plays big, not a 6'3 guy that plays like he's 5'9. The best option IMO is still Nedved.. he's not the big, bruising center I'd prefer but he's skilled enough to make up for that. The ball is pretty much in his court if he wants to be an Oiler next season I'm guessing.

Old
04-13-2004, 12:43 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I dunno - I've always liked Kozlov. He has so much talent. I try to watch him as often as I can - because one of four games he seems to play so good you'd swear he's an all-star (the others you're not sure). I think with consistency he is a 70 point guy.

Old
04-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I dunno - I've always liked Kozlov. He has so much talent. I try to watch him as often as I can - because one of four games he seems to play so good you'd swear he's an all-star (the others you're not sure). I think with consistency he is a 70 point guy.
just think what kind of a player you would have if you took Kozlov's size and talent and combined that with the heart and charactor of a guy like Stoll.

I have always liked Kozlov but he is way too inconsistent to be relied upon. Instead of being Joe Niewendyck, he is turning out to be a career third liner on a decent team.

Old
04-13-2004, 11:27 AM
H-Bear

Courtesy of this guy:
http://www.geocities.com/floridapant.../free2004.html
... here is a list of Free agent Centres this summer (I've narrowed it down to the interesting ones):

- Nylander (III) - Boston
- Conroy (III) - Calgary
- Wright (III) - Columbus
- Yzerman (III) - Detroit
- Nedved (III) - Edmonton
- Stumpel (III) - Los Angeles
- Perrault (III) - Montreal
- Dowd (III) - Montreal
- Zholtok (III) - Nashville <-- I kind of like this option
- Johnson (III) - Nashville
- Brylin (V) - New Jersey
- Ronning (III) - Islanders
- Lindros (III) - Rangers
- Zhamnov (III) - Philidelphia
- Lemieux (III) - Pittsburgh
- Damphousse (III) - San Jose
- Ricci (III) - San Jose
- Brown (V) - San Jose

Here's what all that Group III & Group V crap means: http://letsgopens.com/nhl_cba.php?id=10

There are some names in there that I would love to have on the Oilers .... but of the realistic ones, I really like Zholtok. He plays well defensivly (a must under MacT) and has a very underated offensive game.

Old
04-13-2004, 11:47 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear

There are some names in there that I would love to have on the Oilers .... but of the realistic ones, I really like Zholtok. He plays well defensivly (a must under MacT) and has a very underated offensive game.
The underrated guy on that list, for me, is Brylin, but who knows if he'd sign here, and what he'd cost.

also not sure PHI will resign Zhamnov, or BOS will resign both Rolston and Nylander. I would guess CAL will resign Conroy before he hits UFA, and PHI resign Primeau

SJ probably won't sign both guys either, Lindros won't sign here (at least, he probably wouldn't maybe things have changed)

There are enough good options available that I wouldn't be signing Nedved before UFA season unless it is at a price that I can't trun down - 3 mil a yer or less. and who knows, maybe there's already a deal lined up with Sather to let Nedved hit the UFA market so Slats can resign him, or maybe he'll be traded back to NYR so they can exercise his option (I doubt that , but who knows?)

Old
04-13-2004, 03:42 PM
copperandblue

Not advocating the idea of Lowe getting Kozlov because frankly I don't know much about him other than he seems injury prone but, I am not sure his effectiveness /use in NJ is reason enough to judge him.

Look at the system they use and the type of players they employ. He simply doesn't fit their team and it's a mystery as to why they even picked him up. Put him in a situation where a team will actually use him for his strengths and you would probably find a different opinion about him.

For comparison, could you picture Nedved playing under Burns and in that system?

Old
04-13-2004, 03:46 PM
Mr Sakich

Mogilny played his best hockey in NJ.

IMO, NJ is a perfect scenario for a guy like Viktor. He is big and smart and doesn't have to score a lot to be very effective. There is no reason why he couldn't perform at the level of Joe Niewendike in that situation.

If anything, his lack of desire will be even more obvious in an up-tempo environment like Edmonton. The more I think about it, the more I think he would be our new Tom Poti. One brilliant game followed by 3 stinkers.

Old
04-13-2004, 04:14 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich

IMO, NJ is a perfect scenario for a guy like Viktor. He is big and smart and doesn't have to score a lot to be very effective. There is no reason why he couldn't perform at the level of Joe Niewendike in that situation.
Actually I forgot about Mogilny. Good call.

However, Molgilny is also a cut above Kozlov and the NJ team today isn't as talented. That's certainly not saying that they were run and gun but at the same time I think they have refined and honed their system to the point where it makes up for some less talent. Bottom line is I thinkthey are more dependant on, and more accountable to with Burns, their system today then they were then.

I just didn't see and can't see him being used for the talent he brings. A guy like Nieuwendyk is exactly what they needed. A veteran player that can play defence first but can also capitalize when the opportunity arises.

Like I said, I don't have any vested interest in the guy but I have always felt that sometimes players can excell i certain situations and likewise can regress in others.

To me this was one of those examples, another one is Turgeon in Dallas or what we saw with Nedved here (although it would be foolish to believe that he would contribute that way over the course of a full season).

Old
04-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Many players just can't fit into NJ's system...it's not that they're bad, it's just that team chemistry is so important with Jersey the fit has to be "just right". Larionov, Hrdina, Kozlov, Tverdovsky, Smehlik are all above-average NHLers who've been scratched by the Devils at some point.

All that aside, Kozlov still blows, and I'd avoid him. However, if NJ fails to qualify Hrdina, Lowe should be on him in a flash.

Old
04-13-2004, 04:37 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Funny, I always thought Mogilny played his best hockey in Buffalo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
All that aside, Kozlov still blows, and I'd avoid him. However, if NJ fails to qualify Hrdina, Lowe should be on him in a flash.
Good point! Hrdina is exactly the type of player that MacT would love. A guy who is very responsible defensively, but yet has a slight offensive touch and is a hard worker.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Mr Sakich

update on Kozlov - he was a healthy scratch again last night. With the Devils looking like they couldn't score against a pee-wee ringette team, it is puzzling why they would sit a guy who is potentially one of their best threats. Sure looks like Burns does not want him back.

Victor makes 2.3 million. The Devil's have 6 natural centres who make at least 1 million a year and Zach Parise on the horizon. I think Lou is a motivated seller.

Isbister makes 2 million. The oilers have ethan, smytty, and Torres on Left wing and a number of other options as well. An Isbister for Kozlov trade makes so much sense. How about izzy and Philly's first for Victor and New Jersey's first rounder?

Old
04-15-2004, 11:44 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
update on Kozlov - he was a healthy scratch again last night. With the Devils looking like they couldn't score against a pee-wee ringette team, it is puzzling why they would sit a guy who is potentially one of their best threats. Sure looks like Burns does not want him back.

Victor makes 2.3 million. The Devil's have 6 natural centres who make at least 1 million a year and Zach Parise on the horizon. I think Lou is a motivated seller.

Isbister makes 2 million. The oilers have ethan, smytty, and Torres on Left wing and a number of other options as well. An Isbister for Kozlov trade makes so much sense. How about izzy and Philly's first for Victor and New Jersey's first rounder?
It's not such a bad idea, but is there really a need to throw in the firsts?

Kozlov could be a high-risk-reward type guy. If we get to shed some salary (ie: Izzy) at the same time, then that's super.

Old
04-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
It's not such a bad idea, but is there really a need to throw in the firsts?

Kozlov could be a high-risk-reward type guy. If we get to shed some salary (ie: Izzy) at the same time, then that's super.
I think kozlov and issbister are both high risk - high reward. The reason I thought a draft upgrade may be in order is that viktor's contract is an extra 300k per year. The oilers have a surplus of wingers and could use a centre, the devils have a surplus of centres and could use a winger.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Matts

Hmmm

I think Izzy is really gonna have to take a big paycut to get his next NHL job. Or least he should if he's gonna be an Oiler again or unless he winds up with a team that doesn't have money to throw away.

I don't know if V-Koz has reached that criticial mass yet but if he hasn't, it's quickly approaching.

You still have the Yanks close to 200 mill but what's happpening in MLB now is that middling talent are taking huge paycuts. Seems like some GM's are willing to try lower priced talent and gamble on them rather than offering abri or raises to middling talent.

I would hope that also happens in the NHL come this summer

Old
04-15-2004, 03:08 PM
SerbianEagle

No question Izzy will have to take a paycut. I don't think any team in this league would pay him next year what he makes now. I do want the Oilers to keep him, and really I wouldn't give up on Izzy to get Kozlov. We may need a center because as long as Neved hasn't signed with anyone else, he may come back here. But if Nedved went away, I'd rather trade a combo of a player like Chimmer or Pisani and a pick than Izzy.

Old
04-15-2004, 03:44 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
No question Izzy will have to take a paycut. I don't think any team in this league would pay him next year what he makes now. I do want the Oilers to keep him, and really I wouldn't give up on Izzy to get Kozlov. We may need a center because as long as Neved hasn't signed with anyone else, he may come back here. But if Nedved went away, I'd rather trade a combo of a player like Chimmer or Pisani and a pick than Izzy.
But when you trade Chimera and Pisani away, you get Chimera and Pisani back. We already have them at centre (ie: Horcoff). Need a top 2 line centre; not another 3rd-4th liner.

Old
04-15-2004, 03:48 PM
SerbianEagle

I meant in a trade for Kozlov. Frankly I don't think he is worth more than that. I didn't mean trading a Chimmer or Pisani and get a proven 1st line center, rather Kozlov and only if Nedved goes.

Old
04-15-2004, 03:51 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
I meant in a trade for Kozlov. Frankly I don't think he is worth more than that. I didn't mean trading a Chimmer or Pisani and get a proven 1st line center, rather Kozlov and only if Nedved goes.
Gotcha; thanks for clarifying.

Closed Thread