HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kosto-Smolinski-Begin & lines question

Old
01-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Finally we have a consistent, dependable checking line that we can put out in key situations. Carbo obviously loves these guys, and I think we'll see them used as the shutdown line for the rest of the season.

The question is: who sits when O'Byrne comes back? Streit's got to go up to forward, so who's out? Looks like Ryder to me. Even though Lats hasn't been spectacular lately, I'd like to keep that line together -- I like the energy. Ryder's just getting crucified out there, however. The fans are on his ass every shift, and he's just not getting better at all. Koivu-Higgins-Streit might be a good idea for a while.
I like them playing against the opposing top line, but I would not screw up my forwards by having lines short shift on the road. Against star players, I'd make sure Hamrlik or Komisarek/Markov are out there. I wouldn't want to play Smolinski's line play 23 minutes and Plekanec's line to play 16 because of line matching.

I think the best thing is to have O'byrne play 3-4 games in Hamilton unless there are injuries and an open spot when he returns. After that, it's tough, but I doubt they go undefeated over the next 3 weeks so there will be an opening somewhere.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 03:26 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
I used to be skeptical about these 3 together but they are winning me over. I said to my buddy last night watching the Caps game, these guys look like a playoff line. Better than Juneau Dackell Sundstrom/Bulis, that's not saying much but the Smoke line has some jam unlike the previous 3rd/4th lines we have had, and can pop in a few as well. Teams that win the cup have a 3rd or 4th line like this.
As a 4th line they are good, but if we face the Sens, you actually think these guys will shutdown Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson? I don't.

I agree they are playing well, but as a 4th line with limited time.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
As a 4th line they are good, but if we face the Sens, you actually think these guys will shutdown Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson? I don't.

No worries, Markov-Komi-Huet will shut them down!!

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 03:32 PM

Theres no way I'm changing anything in the current lineup. O'Byrne is going to be sent down. If we are making a move at the deadline, it will be for an experienced vet with many cups who's a pending UFA who can be solid both offensively and defensively and can win draws. He'd play with S.Kost and Lappy with Latendresse/Ryder playing the odd games with Koivu.

The player we'd add would be like a better version of Smolinski. That would be awesome. Aside from that, I really don't see the need of other changes. Our lineup is basically perfect.

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - Ryder/Latendresse
Lapierre - TRADE - Kostitsyn
Begin - Smolinski - Kostopoulos
*Dandenault, Ryder/Latendresse

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Streit
Bouillon - Gorges
*Brisebois

Huet - Halak

And we have a lot of depth in Hamilton... O'Byrne, Chipchura, Price, D'Agostini, Grabovski, etc...

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
My preference would be to keep Streit on defense and send O'Byrne to Hamilton, but I don't think that will happen.

If Streit must play forward, I think we should finally give up on Ryder, put Sergei Kostitsyn with Koivu and Higgins, and put Streit with Lapierre and Latendresse.
I do not like Streit as our number 4. His 5x5 play is still the weakest amongst the current 6 d-men dressing every game. (as his -7 +/- rating shows, second worse to Dandy who no longer plays.)

I would prefer O'Byrne in the number 4 spot. Size and grit is very important in the latter stages of a season. Remove Ryder from lineup. Kosty jr. move up with Koivu, Kosto moves up with Lapierre, and Streit moves in with Smoke and Begin. This seems like a better lineup to me.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 03:41 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
These type of ''we have too many bodies, who do we play?'' questions have a way of answering themselves in this sport.
i think it's called depth and it seems to be a must have for teams that wish to seriously contend for the cup .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 03:54 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

I don't think many 3rd/4th lines could shut down those 3, they are going to get points no matter who they play. The hope is that our guys are vets that could forecheck, get in their face, chip in a few goals and play sound defensive hockey that prevents them from winning 4 out of 7 against us. As Kriss E mentioned, it's Huet, Markov, and Komi's job to shut them down, and at this point in the season I am confident they could!

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 04:24 PM
chitownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
I do not like Streit as our number 4. His 5x5 play is still the weakest amongst the current 6 d-men dressing every game. (as his -7 +/- rating shows, second worse to Dandy who no longer plays.)
Since Streit plays both d & forward, I would want to know where his -7 is assigned? Is it a combination of playing both forward and defence? If so, what is it when playing d? playing up?

Given that information, an honest evaluation may be more viable/informative.

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote