HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Current Problem with NYR = Avery

Old
01-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Why does he have a NTC?
Because he got himself one, doesn't want to go anywhere. Don't need him to go anywhere, and nobody would take him anyway. Not with that contract.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:12 PM
TomLaidlaw

I'll take the 17 minutes of penalties Avery got going after walker any day of the week. Avery had a reputation when he came here of being a selfish player who was wrapped up in himself. I haven't seen that player here. He is nursing sore wrists and didn't even hesitate coming to Scottys defense. If that type of behavior is the major problem with this team then I give up, because to me that deserves a pat on the back, not a thread killing him.

Sidenote: I understand Marc Staal is young and may have gotten wrapped up in the moment but he needs to go after Walker there. He is the closest guy, your teammate and 1st line center just got his face planted into the boards, the gloves need to be off. I don't wanna see a wimpy cross check to the players arm, you need to show up there. Grab him, hold on for dear life, whatever, but he needs to answer the bell there. I am sure Strudwick had a chat with him about that later on.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:40 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Bcause it's not the kids who are taking up 7 mil in cap space. The kids also are learning and IMO still playing better and more effective. Drury needs to go away.
You cant be serious.

Yes, im down on him too... and he hasnt had a good year - hes been invisible at times.

But take a look at what Inferno wrote yesterday in the Drury thread. It has some validity to it. The way this Rangers team is constructed, the personnel and the way the offense attacks the net (or lack of) plays into the lack of production from him.

One of the biggest things i agree with him about, is that Drury hasnt had enough one time opportunities. He hasnt been set up at all really. You look at his goals last year and it seems like a different player and its not just because hes in a "slump" or hasnt "adapted" to playhing in New York. Its more than that.

I think once the Rangers rid themselves of the vets (i'll call them the "pigeon hole-rs" because they affect the teams style of play greatly, negatively and positively) Shanahan, Jagr, Straka - This will become Gomez and Drury's team and i think when it comes to that and IF Sather does a good job complimenting those two players, things should look up, way up for Drury.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I'll take the 17 minutes of penalties Avery got going after walker any day of the week. Avery had a reputation when he came here of being a selfish player who was wrapped up in himself. I haven't seen that player here. He is nursing sore wrists and didn't even hesitate coming to Scottys defense. If that type of behavior is the major problem with this team then I give up, because to me that deserves a pat on the back, not a thread killing him.

Sidenote: I understand Marc Staal is young and may have gotten wrapped up in the moment but he needs to go after Walker there. He is the closest guy, your teammate and 1st line center just got his face planted into the boards, the gloves need to be off. I don't wanna see a wimpy cross check to the players arm, you need to show up there. Grab him, hold on for dear life, whatever, but he needs to answer the bell there. I am sure Strudwick had a chat with him about that later on.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...5#post12252655

only about 27 hours late

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:17 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Great Minds Inferno.

Old
01-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Great Minds Inferno.
Yeah but we went over this -

- Judging by the angle, and Staal's reaction and body position, I don't think he saw how bad Gomez was actually hit, he REALLY hit him hard with a crosscheck though. Staal usually does defend himself and his teammates, and he did there, I just don't think he saw how bad it actually was until afterward.

Still always will be great to see JJ get his hands dirty, man what a few seconds that was for me.

Old
01-30-2008, 11:27 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
Yeah but we went over this -

- Judging by the angle, and Staal's reaction and body position, I don't think he saw how bad Gomez was actually hit, he REALLY hit him hard with a crosscheck though. Staal usually does defend himself and his teammates, and he did there, I just don't think he saw how bad it actually was until afterward.

Still always will be great to see JJ get his hands dirty, man what a few seconds that was for me.
I am by no means killing Staal. He did stick up for Dubinsky earlier in the year against the Pens at the end of the game. With that said, he still needed to drop his mitts immediatly. He knew Walker did something because he gave him a cross check, that isn't enough, you gotta fight him there. Look what happened tonight when Kovalchuk got knee'd by Jarkko. McCarthy came flying in right away and fought him, that should have been Staal's reaction. Unfortunately, our smallest player on the ice with wrist problems had to do it. Not a big issue, just one that rubbed me the wrong way. Like I said I am sure Strudwick had a chat with him and it won't be an issue going forward.

Old
01-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
I am by no means killing Staal. He did stick up for Dubinsky earlier in the year against the Pens at the end of the game. With that said, he still needed to drop his mitts immediatly. He knew Walker did something because he gave him a cross check, that isn't enough, you gotta fight him there. Look what happened tonight when Kovalchuk got knee'd by Jarkko. McCarthy came flying in right away and fought him, that should have been Staal's reaction. Unfortunately, our smallest player on the ice with wrist problems had to do it. Not a big issue, just one that rubbed me the wrong way. Like I said I am sure Strudwick had a chat with him and it won't be an issue going forward.
Nah, probably won't. Always get a spine tingling feeling when you see Avery skate over for a guy immediately.

In retrospect, Walker was an all game.

Old
01-30-2008, 11:37 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
Nah, probably won't. Always get a spine tingling feeling when you see Avery skate over for a guy immediately.

In retrospect, Walker was an all game.
You could tell Peter Laviolette made it clear to them he wanted to see some emotion and physicality after the last game when Orr almost killed Cullen. It made for a very intense and entertaining first period. It's unfortunate that the Rangers didn't get the memo that NHL games usually last for 60 minutes not 20.