HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kondratiev on waivers?

Old
01-30-2008, 03:04 PM
squishy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
The same Kondratiev that cringed every time he went back for a puck and was gonna get hit?

No thank you.
That Kondratiev lead his team in the RSL in penalty minutes last season.

For the record, no, I don't think we should pick him up. But I think people are being a little quick to dismiss the idea. Especially those suggesting we have multiple equal or better options in Hartford. We have two defenseman (Pock and Hutchinson) known more for their offensive skills than their defensive skills, both of whom could be lost through waivers if recalled. We have two fairly solid, but slow defenseman (Liffiton and Taylor) who don't even have NHL contracts. We have one defenseman (Potter) who's yet to show much of the skill he displayed at the end of last season, that earned him an NHL contract last summer. We have a rookie (Sauer) who's shown a propensity to get burned to the outside against slower AHL players, who tends to get a little jittery with the puck in high-pressure situations. And finally, we have one defenseman who's definitely a better option than Kondratiev (Baranka) but is currently injured.

And we already have two kids in the top 6 in NY who have yet to play an entire NHL season.

As an aside, that is exactly why Sather's not sending Malik anywhere without getting a decent d-man back as insurance.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 03:15 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
That Kondratiev lead his team in the RSL in penalty minutes last season.

For the record, no, I don't think we should pick him up. But I think people are being a little quick to dismiss the idea. Especially those suggesting we have multiple equal or better options in Hartford. We have two defenseman (Pock and Hutchinson) known more for their offensive skills than their defensive skills, both of whom could be lost through waivers if recalled. We have two fairly solid, but slow defenseman (Liffiton and Taylor) who don't even have NHL contracts. We have one defenseman (Potter) who's yet to show much of the skill he displayed at the end of last season, that earned him an NHL contract last summer. We have a rookie (Sauer) who's shown a propensity to get burned to the outside against slower AHL players, who tends to get a little jittery with the puck in high-pressure situations. And finally, we have one defenseman who's definitely a better option than Kondratiev (Baranka) but is currently injured.

And we already have two kids in the top 6 in NY who have yet to play an entire NHL season.

As an aside, that is exactly why Sather's not sending Malik anywhere without getting a decent d-man back as insurance.
I'm pretty sure that Liffiton has a NHL contract. I think Taylor does as well. Also what exactly is Baranka out w/?

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 03:17 PM
segmentation fault

We need 2 pure 100% defenseman who can play defense.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 03:25 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I'm pretty sure that Liffiton has a NHL contract. I think Taylor does as well. Also what exactly is Baranka out w/?
Both Liffiton and Taylor are on AHL contracts. Baranka hurt his shoulder in a fight 2 weeks ago.

Old
01-30-2008, 03:34 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Both Liffiton and Taylor are on AHL contracts. Baranka hurt his shoulder in a fight 2 weeks ago.
You're right about Taylor but according to OTG Liffiton is signed for $495,000 and will be an RFA this offseason. It makes sense b/c he played in games for us both last year (2) and the year before (1). he is also listed in NHL CAP SPACE website.

Old
01-30-2008, 03:35 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
"The Iron League? Lots of fights there?"

"Naw."
SingnBlues, can you stop quoting lines from a movie and answer a question for me that has yet to be answered???

"Who own da Chiefs?"

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 03:49 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
"They brought their toys with them!"
"Well, I'd rather them play with toys then with themselves.

They're too DUMB to play with themselves!"

Thank you guys, I'm going to watch that movie.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 04:07 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
You're right about Taylor but according to OTG Liffiton is signed for $495,000 and will be an RFA this offseason. It makes sense b/c he played in games for us both last year (2) and the year before (1). he is also listed in NHL CAP SPACE website.
You're right, though bizarrely, the NHLPA no longer has him listed on their site. And I somehow missed him when I checked the Rangers "In the System" roster earlier to confirm. He was qualified by the Rangers last summer and accepted his qualifying offer.

Regardless, my argument still stands. He may have an NHL contract, but he's also slow and prone to bad penalties. And he's only played 5 games since missing the previous 34 with a concussion. That's hardly much of a safety net should defensemen start going down to injury.

Old
01-30-2008, 04:17 PM
John Torturella

All I can think about is the commercial with Kaspar, Him and Bobby Granger. "Maxim show him the hooking" "thats a penalty"

Does anyone know where I can find this?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 04:22 PM
TomLaidlaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpa-U...eature=related

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 06:04 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
You're right, though bizarrely, the NHLPA no longer has him listed on their site. And I somehow missed him when I checked the Rangers "In the System" roster earlier to confirm. He was qualified by the Rangers last summer and accepted his qualifying offer.

Regardless, my argument still stands. He may have an NHL contract, but he's also slow and prone to bad penalties. And he's only played 5 games since missing the previous 34 with a concussion. That's hardly much of a safety net should defensemen start going down to injury.
Don't really remember what he was like in the NHL b/c he played so few games and MSG refuses to put wolfpack games on tv (i don't know why) but is he really that slow? I thought he was a decent player who could hit, and clear the net.

you're right though that we don't have much of a safety net.

Old
01-30-2008, 08:40 PM
nyr7andcounting

He's not good enough to claim. He'd be our 8th best defenseman right now. I'd rather have Strudwick because he's a great teammate and good to have around off the ice. Kondratiev isn't the kind of guy you want to claim and then scratch him. Not to mention if we really want a young defenseman we have guys just as good in Hartford.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 11:14 PM
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
and we can kidnap jarko immonen and bring him back too and blackmail leetch to come outta retirement and we'd have both sides of that trade and really have a laugh on the leafs. man this insomnia thing sucks

mergnemi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 06:26 AM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
The same Kondratiev that cringed every time he went back for a puck and was gonna get hit?

No thank you.
Exactly. The kid is a gutless player with a bad attitude. He belongs scooping borscht or whatever the russian equivalent to flipping burgers is. No thanks.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 12:29 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I think the Rangers should definitely get him back. I have always liked him when he played with us. He is not going to be an offensive dynamo, but he is a good two-way dman who can do a great job in replacing Malik I think. If he can't, we send him to the minors to let him develop. He is solid defensively and has decent offensive skills and good size.
Great - another wimpy, nonoffensive dman - exactly what we don't already have in Malik.

jake1970* is offline   Reply With Quote