HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hunt For a Top 4 Defenseman Begins Here!!

Old
01-31-2008, 01:36 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
i want pitkanen... maybe not exactly what the wings need but he is a great player and i would love to get him...

i also want blake and stuart..

i would be happy with any of those three...

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 02:06 PM
solo16

I think we should just stand pat. TBH our defensive depth isnt that bad. Quincey can play in a pinch. Chelios can play top 4 if needed.

Maybee a Jason Wooley type deal at the deadline. Just to bring in an extra old tough journeyman for cheep.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin1 View Post

Gimme Exelby, J Smith, maybe Foote.

Jason Smith would be perfect, but there is no way a first place team deals their captain.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 02:34 PM
FissionFire

Kalinin is the best fit, and probably at a reasonable price. I think Bryce Salvador averages over 20 minutes a night and would also be a better option than Jackman for our teams playstyle, not to mention far more durable. Pavel Kubina would be ideal if not for his contract. Glen Wesley would be a cheap rental who would be a solid depth defensive defenseman on this team.

Not counting the big-ticket guys, I'd go after:
1) Dmitri Kalinin
2) Bryce Salvador
3) Glen Wesley

Overall:
1) Dmitri Kalinin
2) Rob Blake
3) Brad Stuart
4) Bryce Salvador
5) Brian Campbell
6) Barret Jackman (fragile)
7) Glen Wesley (for depth)

Not including guys w/years on their contract like Hal Gill and Pavel Kubina and Alexei Zhitnik.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 03:02 PM
bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Kalinin is the best fit, and probably at a reasonable price. I think Bryce Salvador averages over 20 minutes a night and would also be a better option than Jackman for our teams playstyle, not to mention far more durable. Pavel Kubina would be ideal if not for his contract. Glen Wesley would be a cheap rental who would be a solid depth defensive defenseman on this team.

Not counting the big-ticket guys, I'd go after:
1) Dmitri Kalinin
2) Bryce Salvador
3) Glen Wesley

Overall:
1) Dmitri Kalinin
2) Rob Blake
3) Brad Stuart
4) Bryce Salvador
5) Brian Campbell
6) Barret Jackman (fragile)
7) Glen Wesley (for depth)

Not including guys w/years on their contract like Hal Gill and Pavel Kubina and Alexei Zhitnik.
Kalinin? Are u kidding me?

The Blues arn't gonna trade Jackman to us, so everyone can get off that boat. Blake won't be all that expensive as they have to trade him if they want something back and he can decide where he wants to go. I don't Foote gets traded to the Wings either.

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 03:03 PM
bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin1 View Post
uhh.. What? Are you joking?

Gimme Exelby, J Smith, maybe Foote.
I'd love to see Exelby.

Old
01-31-2008, 03:04 PM
bullocks

I can't seem to edit my own posts

Old
01-31-2008, 03:05 PM
bullocks

****, NVM i suck. Anyways heres the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IPifDAomzQ

Old
01-31-2008, 04:45 PM
doublejack

Jackman is the most desirable IMO to fill what the Wings need. However, I don't see St. Louis trading him because they're in the playoff hunt, and furthermore we're in the same division. It might take quite an overpayment.

He's not mentioned in this thread, but Hal Gill is probably who I'd target. Gill's downfall is his skating so he'd make a good partner for Kronwall. Toronto is fading fast and we could probably get Gill for a 3rd or 2nd round pick, with maybe a minor prospect thrown in. He's also not a rental with a year left on his contract. It makes Lilja expendable.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 05:11 PM
cmccallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
i want pitkanen... maybe not exactly what the wings need but he is a great player and i would love to get him...

i also want blake and stuart..

i would be happy with any of those three...
Is he injury Prone?

cmccallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 07:46 PM
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
Jackman is the most desirable IMO to fill what the Wings need. However, I don't see St. Louis trading him because they're in the playoff hunt, and furthermore we're in the same division. It might take quite an overpayment.

He's not mentioned in this thread, but Hal Gill is probably who I'd target. Gill's downfall is his skating so he'd make a good partner for Kronwall. Toronto is fading fast and we could probably get Gill for a 3rd or 2nd round pick, with maybe a minor prospect thrown in. He's also not a rental with a year left on his contract. It makes Lilja expendable.
I'd mentioned Gill in a previous thread, and everyone seems horribly against it. I gotta ask though, if we're not looking for a terribly mobile, stay-at-home-type defenseman... what's the problem with Gill?

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 07:50 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
I'd mentioned Gill in a previous thread, and everyone seems horribly against it. I gotta ask though, if we're not looking for a terribly mobile, stay-at-home-type defenseman... what's the problem with Gill?
He's a pillow on skates.

sparr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 07:51 PM
SpartyWing86*

Too many teams in our division are still in the playoff hunt. I don't think we can take any of their key pieces. Campbell or Blake would probably work best.

SpartyWing86* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupGuru View Post
I think we're going to be outcasts here, but I'd love to see Jackman in Detroit. The reason is simple: I hate that *******. He's mean, plays with an edge, clears the crease, and will pop you in the chops because he feels like it...

Foote would be awesome too, for many of the same reasons.

Unfortunately, both are in our division.

I guess I never respond to the Jackman suggestions because I don't think there's a chance in hell that the Blues let him go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post

Quote:

DJ, you really like Gill. When TO signed him at the price they paid, I was convinced JFJ was out to lunch. Gill is a pylon. I suppose if you just need a crease clearer.... but his skating could be an issue if you're facing teams like the Sharks, Ducks or Sens in the playoffs, no?

Old
01-31-2008, 08:24 PM
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
He's a pillow on skates.
Yes, but he's a very large pillow.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 08:35 PM
BluesDarb

To the guys(or gals....to be inclusive) that don't think the Blues will move Jackman I beg to differ.

I like that people still think the Blues are in the hunt, but truthfully they aren't. We've got a nine game roadie in March, and really need to go 21-12-0 over our remaining games to have a shot at the 8th seed. Unless the guys win their next 6 or 7 we'll be sellers come deadline day.

Jackman will very likely be out of STL(we've got people to replace him in the system, we've got a major defense logjam...we've got at least 3 guys in the AHL that should be at the NHL level RIGHT NOW plus 4 promising guys who are between 1-3 years away).

Our teams have traded before, and I think that if the Wings make the best offer JD and company wouldn't hesitate to make the best available move. Though it would suck out loud to see Barrett against us 900 times a year.

Anyhow, if you guys covet Jackman he probably can be yours. Salvador on the other hand I really want the Blues to retain. He might be moved, but I'd say its roughly 50% as likely as Jax being moved.

Discuss. (I come in peace)

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 08:51 PM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDarb View Post
To the guys(or gals....to be inclusive) that don't think the Blues will move Jackman I beg to differ.

I like that people still think the Blues are in the hunt, but truthfully they aren't. We've got a nine game roadie in March, and really need to go 21-12-0 over our remaining games to have a shot at the 8th seed. Unless the guys win their next 6 or 7 we'll be sellers come deadline day.

Jackman will very likely be out of STL(we've got people to replace him in the system, we've got a major defense logjam...we've got at least 3 guys in the AHL that should be at the NHL level RIGHT NOW plus 4 promising guys who are between 1-3 years away).

Our teams have traded before, and I think that if the Wings make the best offer JD and company wouldn't hesitate to make the best available move. Though it would suck out loud to see Barrett against us 900 times a year.

Anyhow, if you guys covet Jackman he probably can be yours. Salvador on the other hand I really want the Blues to retain. He might be moved, but I'd say its roughly 50% as likely as Jax being moved.

Realistically what could he be resigned for... Thats really the question. If he could be resigned reasonably wed be players. If he wants 5M+ frankly we cant afford him.

Our max is prob 4M and thats pushing it.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 09:01 PM
BluesDarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post
Realistically what could he be resigned for... Thats really the question. If he could be resigned reasonably wed be players. If he wants 5M+ frankly we cant afford him.

Our max is prob 4M and thats pushing it.
He'll probably want between 3.5 and 4.5

A lot depends on his happiness, and what the rest of the market looks like. He's looking for a bit of a payday, but he might take less to be with a winning club like the Wings.

In short, your guess is as good as mine.

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:09 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Want Vandemeer for cheap?

He hasnt looked great in philly, but we've trying to play him as a Number 2, while he's really a number 4

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:54 PM
Brownies

Quote:
Gill must stay in the east. One of my favorite thing in life is looking at habs players circling around this guy. The perfect definition of a pylon.

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:33 PM
bullocks

gill actually has been one of torontos better defencemen this year. saying that i wouldn't take him if he was our only option.

Old
02-01-2008, 06:01 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Want Vandemeer for cheap?

He hasnt looked great in philly, but we've trying to play him as a Number 2, while he's really a number 4
Cheap?? How cheap, Lidstrom + 3 1st picks?
Do you really think your GM wants to move him? I think if your GM wants to move him, he wants a better player in return.
There are only 2 Dmen the Wings are willing to move (me think) Lebda and Meech. Your GM wants Kronwall. There's no way the Wings move Kronwall.

Question to the Wings fans.
Do you folks think you get Foote, Jackman ... for anything less than 2 1st RD picks?
If yes, then what?

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDarb View Post

All good points.

A few more reasons they may look to move Jackman: Let's face it he isn't having a great season and secondly even without Jackman the Blues still have 5 good defenseman in Eric Brewer, Erik Johnson, Bryce Salvador, Jay McKee and Christian Backman.

I'm not saying he'd be cheap, but I wouldn't put it past STL to deal him.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:31 AM
caseygraves
Don Cherry apologist

vCash: 50
1, Kalinin
2, Boyle
3, Stuart
4, Pitkanen

The points on Malik have me intrigued... I'll have to closely follow him on the next Rangers game i watch...

I didn't realize that Zhitnik was a an UFA...

caseygraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:19 AM
arin1

I'd be interested in getting someone from Nashville. Theyre stacked at Defense with a couple good pieces that could fill out our defense.

Maybe get Erat/Dumont/Arnott(?) too and be set for the playoffs.

arin1 is offline   Reply With Quote