HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best Defensive and/or PK Forwards

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Kevyn Adams has to be one of the league's best Penalty Killers. His blazing speed and decent scoring touch accounted for 6 SHG this season, which was 2nd to only Martin St. Louis with 10 if I remember correctly. His defensive game is fantastic and his faceoff ability is right up there with Brind'Amour, especially this season. When over 50% of your goals for the year come in the short handed variety, you have to be a pretty talented penalty killer.

Old
04-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Stankonia
The Blues . . . ummmmm . . . yeah.

Petr Cajanek didn't disappoint this year, but I wouldn't call him a bona-fide defensive forward at any time during the season. Jamal Mayers, Dallas Drake and Mike Sillinger all had significant time on the PK and all are more defensively able than offensively, but there's no Selke candidate in the bunch.
I think the biggest problem for the Blues has been the change in assignments between what Q wanted and what K wants.

Cajanek was on the 3rd line w/ Q and I think Q held his offense in check - focus on the D. Where K has moved him to the top line and pushed for more offensive contribution. There is a reason, IMO that both he and Khavonov have played well when they had there collars removed.

But you are right, there isn't one Selke candidate on the roster and that is part of the problem on the PK. I think that Mayers is about as close as we get.

Old
04-15-2004, 05:30 PM
rinkrat13

My All Defensive Team:

Pandolfo - Primeau - Lehtinen
Madden - Peca - Sundstrom
Maltby - Draper - Laperriere
Nikloshin - Ricci - Hinote

Taxi Squad - Yelle & C. Brown

Stevens - Foote
Hatcher - Matvichuck
Smith - Regehr

Taxi Squad - Vaananen & Carney

Old
04-15-2004, 06:21 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat13
Hatcher - Matvichuck
Ahahaha. Is this an all-defensive team or skating practice for the opposing team?

Old
04-15-2004, 06:35 PM
rinkrat13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour
Ahahaha. Is this an all-defensive team or skating practice for the opposing team?
Cap'n Flavour - what would your All Defensive Team be? just curious...

Old
04-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat13
Cap'n Flavour - what would your All Defensive Team be? just curious...
I'm not saying those are bad picks, but Hatcher and Matvichuk are both bad skaters. I wouldn't have Matvichuk there at all, instead someone who can skate and play defense like Lidstrom or Niedermayer or Ohlund. Or Pronger. I don't know if you just excluded defensemen with offensive talent or something.

Last edited by Cap'n Flavour: 04-15-2004 at 09:52 PM.
Old
04-15-2004, 09:55 PM
rinkrat13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour
I'm not saying those are bad picks, but Hatcher and Matvichuk are both bad skaters. I wouldn't have Matvichuk there at all, instead someone who can skate and play defense like Lidstrom or Niedermayer or Ohlund. Or Pronger. I don't know if you just excluded defensemen with offenive talent or something.
I wasn't taking offense to your post (regarding Matvichuck & Hatcher) I am curious to know what others would pick for their All Defenisve Team.... keep in mind that I picked players that are known for their D game first and some do chip in the odd point - I could've added players with a much better offensive game and a good defensive game like, Fedorov, Forsberg, Gagne, Lidstrom, Blake, etc... but I wanted to make a list of players that play the checking role on their respected teams.

Closed Thread