HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Game Takes: Ovechkin 5, Habs 4 in OT

Old
01-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Wow,what a show Ovechkin put on tonight,I still can't believe that we got a point for the game we played tonight

Also on the hat trick goal,I hope the coaching staff told Streit that backing up against Ovy is not a very smart decision to make.I know he doesn't hit,but that was absolutly brutal.Gotta crunch him Mark!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Gustave

A couple of things: For all of you that are blaming Ryder for the absolute suckfest that represent our pseudo-first line, remember that it's not Ryder's job to create plays and opportunities. That job is both Koivu's and Higgins' to bear. They are dreadful. A mess is a more precise term. They are below average, even effort wise. I would've never thought that those guys wouldn't show up, but that's what is happening, for the last ten games at least. They don't seem to enjoy the games anymore. I am shocked. For two leaders, very disappointing.

Komisarek and Markov were bush league. That's all there is to say. Still, we depend on them. Our success is a direct image of their play.

With that said, can you believe we came back from a 3-0 deficit? Character and poise. We won't quit. It is a good thing we lost this game in OT. It gives us the chance to learn from this loss. If we'd won, everybody would claim that we are top of the league(well the east at least). Now, we understand that we have to always give it all. That's a lesson that is priceless. We will be bigger for that loss, count on it.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:08 PM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

no matter what...u gotta love AO...

"Today was a special day," Ovechkin said with a smile. "I broke my nose, have stitches (and) score four goals. Everything (went) to my face."

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:10 PM
MathMan

Kostitsyn Junior and Lats have some real chemistry going on, giving each other some sick passes for goals. I like Lapierre as an energy forward, but I think these two need someone with more offensive skill to play with.

The Koivu line needs an overhaul, or at least, a new RW.

Good on the team for not quitting 3 goals down. I can't decide whether to be happy they came back and got a point, or sad that they couldn't close the deal. I think Washington is the best team in the SE, but Montreal is still better, IMHO -- good enough to yank a point on one of their bad games this season.

Much bowing will be made in front of Ovechkin's prowess, but personally, I'm more stunned at Montreal's apparent inability not only to check him, but to remember to do so. He was wide open way too often when he really shouldn't have been -- of course he was going to score. Great performance from him, but Montreal should have made it much harder, but didn't... Not so much couldn't as didn't. Where was the tight checking of Tuesday? Nowhere in evidence. I think this is all about Markov having a very off game and Komisarek couldn't compensate, which was deadly against Ovechkin. Dangerous as he is, these glaring lapses will result in four-goal performances. This, I think, is a big part of what lost the game for Montreal.

That goal through Streit was sick however.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:21 PM
MathMan

And look, Montreal is cleanly in front of Philly now (ie. they're on pace for more points) and gain one on Ottawa.

Everyone else who (hopefully!) is going to matter to Montreal lost in regulation tonight. Once you get over your disappointment, it was not a bad night for Montreal.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:29 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad View Post
Come on guys.
We were 3-0
And then 4-2 with 7 min to play and the Habs came back.

Thats amazing.
That's right, we came back (with some luck, good teams have it) and stole a point.
Next game Ryder, Higgins and Koivu have to do better, is their turn.

SKost just amazing, he passes, he scores, he checks, he hits. Imagine this guy 2 years from now, pure power.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Get Ryder out of the lineup. Bring back SKost on the Koivu's line. Put Dandenault with Smolinski or Lapierre.

Why start Halak ? The Isles don't have anything close to an Ovechkin to worry about.
like I said, the habs are playing 4 games in 6 days. Its probably a good time to give Huet a rest on one of the weekend games. I'd rather have halak start against the isles than the rangers. The schedule is about to get cramped... we'll need both goalies going

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:34 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Should we send Huet to the AHL?

Similar night to the one Price had vs. Washington.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:34 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
One thing I remember about this game was the shift right after Ovechkin's 2nd goal to make it 3-0. Sergei, Latendresse and Lapierre had pressure in the Caps zone for a good 45 seconds and ended up scoring right back. That was pretty big, going into the 3rd after the Habs' 2nd goal, I felt like we were up a few...like the others, I'll take the point and run far away. Ovechkin is a machine.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Are you on crack?

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Are you on crack?
You missed the underlying sarcasm there apparently.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 11:51 PM
HockeyF3ind

lol..........

Ovechkin 5, Canadians 4...is certainly right!!!! lol

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 12:54 AM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristobal Huet View Post
The Good
Guillaume Latendresse
Mark Streit
Alex Kovalev
The Kosty bros
Cristobal Huet
Mike Komisarek

The Bad
Steve Begin
Andrei Markov
Saku Koivu
Michael Ryder
Chris Higgins
Komisarek had a good game ??!?! Did we seen the same game ?! Komisarek was terrible tonight and it was his fault on 2 goals and was the main reason for many scoring chances from Washington because of his abysmal positionning. He made some Pee-wee mistakes tonight and it wasn't even funny !! They talked about his junior mistake in ''LA ZONE'', Gerrard Gagnon showed some ugly sequences where Komi was out of position like a Rookie. I love Komisarek, but his performance tonight was just unacceptable.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 01:24 AM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
That's right, we came back (with some luck, good teams have it) and stole a point.
Next game Ryder, Higgins and Koivu have to do better, is their turn.

SKost just amazing, he passes, he scores, he checks, he hits. Imagine this guy 2 years from now, pure power.

I said it before and I will say it again, this guy is the real deal and he will become one of the best player on this team in a few years. He will surpass his brother no doubt to me. Andrei will score more goals, but Sergei will put up more points because of his amazing hockey vision.

Many thought that he was leeching from Patrick Kane and Sam Gagner last year with the London Knignts and most people thought that he wasn't as good as his stats reflected. The real fact is, It was Sergei Kostitsyn that Made Kane and Gagner !! He was the most complete junior player last season and I'm glad that he proves to everybody now that he's gonna be a real force for years to come. I know it's still early, but I just know it He is my Favorite player right now on the Habs roster But Perezhogin is still my favorite in my heart

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 01:47 AM
HotPie

Personally, this is what I would do:

Bring Chipchura back up, convert Lapierre to winger and have them both on a line with Lats. Bench Ryder, than put Sergei back on the 2nd line with Koivu and Higgins.

The Ryder experiment has lasted long enough. I don't see why Koivu is getting slack for tonight's game either, he played hard and created opportunities...Higgins and Ryder didn't really do much with them though. I don't really expect much from Ryder at this point, I think he's pretty much finished, but I think everyone expects/expected more out of Higgins this season. It's a shame really, I don't really understand why he's not playing that well; he constantly loses the puck, he's not as good at protecting the puck along the boards, he loses 1v1 battles, he doesn't seem as explosive...I really don't get it. Either he's injured, he doesn't care, or it's a confidence thing...All I know is that he needs to find his game, and he needs to find it fast.

Thank god Skost, Lats and Lappy pulled through tonight, because they were the only ones busting their ***** off tonight. While Pleks line overall didn't have a good game, they can't carry the team by themselves, and games like these for them are expected. Saku's line NEEDS to produce however, or else I really don't see this team going far in the playoffs.

Anyways, my rant is over. overall it was still an entertaining game, and you have to give props to Ovechkin...he single-handedly beat us.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 01:51 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
As soon as I saw Begin and Smoke on the ice, I said to myself, uhoh were doomed. They come down the ice and boom, it's over.

Whatever, we take it and learn from it.
Happy we stole a point in this game.

Im just very disapointed in the way we started..

A) the game, took us a good 6-7 minutes to start moving on the ice
and
B) the third period, a late 2nd period goal should have fired them up with a little more urgency. We didnt show that urgency untill Ovy made it 4-2.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 02:27 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Wow,what a show Ovechkin put on tonight,I still can't believe that we got a point for the game we played tonight

Also on the hat trick goal,I hope the coaching staff told Streit that backing up against Ovy is not a very smart decision to make.I know he doesn't hit,but that was absolutly brutal.Gotta crunch him Mark!
Actually, Streit is intelligent and a good learner.

In fact, if you go back and check, Mark had another opportunity to defend Ovy a bit later on, and while he did not CRUNCH him, he stayed much closer to him and eventually stripped him of the puck.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 02:52 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiro View Post
I said it before and I will say it again, this guy is the real deal and he will become one of the best player on this team in a few years. He will surpass his brother no doubt to me. Andrei will score more goals, but Sergei will put up more points because of his amazing hockey vision.

Many thought that he was leeching from Patrick Kane and Sam Gagner last year with the London Knignts and most people thought that he wasn't as good as his stats reflected. The real fact is, It was Sergei Kostitsyn that Made Kane and Gagner !! He was the most complete junior player last season and I'm glad that he proves to everybody now that he's gonna be a real force for years to come. I know it's still early, but I just know it He is my Favorite player right now on the Habs roster But Perezhogin is still my favorite in my heart
You may have a point, and by the way former NHLer and father of Sam, Dave Gagner, said at the beginning of the year that Kosty Jr was the most complete of the three kids.

I started an appreciation thread. Some stunning stats there if you want to go look.

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 02-01-2008 at 03:02 AM.
Old
02-01-2008, 05:26 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

we might want to drop the "Ryder is to blame for Koivu's line problems", cause...

Koivu is not creating scoring chances lately - and he's suppose to be THE playmaker on his line, he definitely lost a step. Look at him when he's battling for pucks in the corners, he tries for a few secs and then he stops like if he was exhausted or something. He doesnt skate much either, look like he lost half his speed.

Higgins doesnt skate anymore, he doesnt go in front of the net either, he show zero creativity. Frankly, there HAS TO be something wrong like an injury or something... worried about the guy. Has 3 goals in his last 20 games...

All in all, while it's true that Ryder s**ks, it's not his fault Koivu lost a step and Higgins's playing bad...

watched the game today, and while Ryder was atrocious, the thought of him being the worst on his line (tonight) never crossed my mind... all 3 were "evenly" bad!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 05:30 AM
Bermy

well, Ovy's performance was the number one play on ESPN. Very rare to see a hockey play number 1 on ESPN Sportscenter

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 05:41 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

I know you're trying to be sarcastic (as usual) but the difference here is that price allowed alot of undisputed softies in that game. Huet was merely average against the most electrfying player in the league.

I;m not bashing huet or anything. But looking at the calendar, I think the isles game is a good time to give halak a start. Its just one start.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
lol..........

Ovechkin 5, Canadians 4...is certainly right!!!! lol
Nope, 'tis incorrect.

Ovechkin 5, Canadiens 4 - I can live with

On the topic of the game, good job by the guys to get a point out of that game. Hardly a superb performance all around, but they did well enough to earn that point, so that is a positive at least. Nice to see the 4th line pick up some of the slack as well, hopefully they can get into some good form, although the line may be broken up in search of a replacement for Ryder.

Speaking of (potential) replacements for Ryder, I'd like to see D'Agostini given a shot on the Habs (on any line) before the end of the season. At least see how he handles the transition. Could help indicate if he might be ready for a more important role on the team next year or if we should look to get a RW by trade/UFA if Ryder does go (which seems likely, IMO). He might be a good enough spark to help Koivu get going, but if not, Billy/Lats can join Saku and D'Ago could play a few games lower down the lineup. If he does well, keep him around. If not, send him back to Hamilton until next year.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 06:10 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Nope, 'tis incorrect.

Ovechkin 5, Canadiens 4 - I can live with

On the topic of the game, good job by the guys to get a point out of that game. Hardly a superb performance all around, but they did well enough to earn that point, so that is a positive at least. Nice to see the 4th line pick up some of the slack as well, hopefully they can get into some good form, although the line may be broken up in search of a replacement for Ryder.

Speaking of (potential) replacements for Ryder, I'd like to see D'Agostini given a shot on the Habs (on any line) before the end of the season. At least see how he handles the transition. Could help indicate if he might be ready for a more important role on the team next year or if we should look to get a RW by trade/UFA if Ryder does go (which seems likely, IMO). He might be a good enough spark to help Koivu get going, but if not, Billy/Lats can join Saku and D'Ago could play a few games lower down the lineup. If he does well, keep him around. If not, send him back to Hamilton until next year.
Rollie Melancon was in Washington last night and in an interview he said D'agostini has really impressed him since he's been in Hamilton working with Price. Same goes for Valentenko.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 06:14 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I know you're trying to be sarcastic (as usual) but the difference here is that price allowed alot of undisputed softies in that game. Huet was merely average against the most electrfying player in the league.

I;m not bashing huet or anything. But looking at the calendar, I think the isles game is a good time to give halak a start. Its just one start.
I'm pretty sure we'll see Halak on Saturday and Huet on Sunday.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 06:20 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I'm pretty sure we'll see Halak on Saturday and Huet on Sunday.
I'm also pretty sure Dandenault will get a chance. I'm going to guess it will be at Kostopoulos' expense. Smolinski, Kosto and Begin were pretty bad last night. Kosto in particular missed clearing his zone about 4 times.

Brisebois, on the other hand, will be told that the Habs are just VERY concerned about the broken bones in his foot, but they're willing to keep paying him his base salary of $700k per year if he keeps his mouth SHUT.