HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

GDT: Rangers @ Flyers 1/31/08

Old
02-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Kostik

vCash: 500
Always like games versus Flyers, lot of hitting and intensity.
Imo Jagr and Straka played like crap, Gomez was very good with distribution of the passes but my Czechs could not do anything with it
Anywho, great defensive system, good effort, 2 points.
4th line still have too much icetime...

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 07:32 AM
SML

Am I the only person who screamed out loud when Prucha was stickhandling 1 on 4 across the blueline into the flyers' zone? I thought it was curtains for #25 for sure.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 07:35 AM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman27 View Post
J'Orts designated GDT maker from now on?
I make a motion that insane trade proposals are prohibited from sneaking their way into GDT's. (just in case)

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 07:37 AM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Always like games versus Flyers, lot of hitting and intensity.
Imo Jagr and Straka played like crap, Gomez was very good with distribution of the passes but my Czechs could not do anything with it
Anywho, great defensive system, good effort, 2 points.
4th line still have too much icetime...
Normally, I would agree. However three games in four days, four games in six days, and with a big lead, you need to roll four lines. How good did Dubinsky look. He's starting to develop the coast to coast rush like Gomez. Gomez is really starting to look comfortable. His passing is a delight. I could certainly envision Gomez and Dubinsky centering our first two lines for quite a while with Drury moving to right wing

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 07:44 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo23 View Post
Who is Harry?
I feel old now.

Old
02-01-2008, 07:47 AM
wereback

Say what you want but the last couple of games that malik played we won.....and our def only gave up two goals...keep him in....

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
So how come, with one exception i can think of, do the Rangers game-up with Valiquette in goal? I have Lundy in fantasy, and I noticed they keep pulling these 4-0 shutouts when he's not in net. Do they feel they have to score more to give Valqiuette an extra buffer?

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:10 AM
chosen

As Malik goes, so go the Rangers.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:23 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
According to Larry Brooks,some Rangers players thought the Malik not shaking Renney's hand soap opera was overblown.Some players didn't have a major problem with it.Malik accepted Renney's congratulations but didn't extend his hand.Larry made those comments talking to Dave Maloney yesterday.
Malik doesn't shake hands. He's got one foot out the door. Players are angry.

5 days later, Malik is in the lineup, the Rangers win. Players don't care about it. Impeccable timing by Brooks.

02-01-2008, 08:40 AM
DontStepanMe

I swear I have never been so confused about a teams identity in my entire life.

Are they good?
Are they a playoff team?
can they compete for the cup?

Every game you get a different answer. Why can't they be consistent at all. I would rather have consistently bad than this up down stuff they give us.

Again after watching last nights game it gave me hope that maybe just maybe they can pull this around.

Best game they played by far. Hopefully it carries through tonight. I can't take anymore bad games after good games.

They looked almost flawless last night. If they play like that they could be anybody. But if they play like Carolina they couldn't beat an AHL team.

Who will show up each night is the question.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:44 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I swear I have never been so confused about a teams identity in my entire life.

Are they good?
Are they a playoff team?
If they play a full 60 minutes then 100% yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
can they compete for the cup?.
If they play a full 60 minutes, if the kids continue to get better, if Lundqvist plays the way he can, then 100% yes.

02-01-2008, 08:46 AM
chosen

In the Rangers forum it's only about how great the Rangers played. In the Flyers forum it's only about how bad the Flyers played.

I know it's just stating the obvious but fans never take into account the other team when evaluating what they just saw.

I think that the score was a result of the Rangers acting instead of reacting. The Flyers were forced to react all night long and you can't win that way. He who dictates pace wins.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
So how come, with one exception i can think of, do the Rangers game-up with Valiquette in goal? I have Lundy in fantasy, and I noticed they keep pulling these 4-0 shutouts when he's not in net. Do they feel they have to score more to give Valqiuette an extra buffer?
What are you talking about?

This was Valiquette's 1st shutout of his career.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
What are you talking about?

This was Valiquette's 1st shutout of his career.
Sorry, i was thinking of the Toronto game where it was 6-0 halfway through the third. As I look back at some of the games, maybe its more coincidence

Old
02-01-2008, 09:00 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Avery's gotta be out in full force tonight against his "favorite" team.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:01 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If they play a full 60 minutes then 100% yes.

If they play a full 60 minutes, if the kids continue to get better, if Lundqvist plays the way he can, then 100% yes.
Yeah I agree... I just want to see any type of consistency good or bad. To many ups and downs this year. Either play great or play awful. Just make up your minds already so Sather can make a good choice at the TD. Hopefully the can build off this great win and get real hot. Lets just see what tonight brings.

Old
02-01-2008, 09:03 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
In the Rangers forum it's only about how great the Rangers played. In the Flyers forum it's only about how bad the Flyers played.

I know it's just stating the obvious but fans never take into account the other team when evaluating what they just saw.

I think that the score was a result of the Rangers acting instead of reacting. The Flyers were forced to react all night long and you can't win that way. He who dictates pace wins.
Exactly and that's why the Rangers have been struggling up to tonight. They always play the reactionary game.

The thing that I loved about this game was they never sat on a lead. They were always hungry for more. You saw that killer instinct. That instinct and never being satisfied no matter how much you are up by is what separates bad teams from good teams and good teams from great teams.

Old
02-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Start Henrik tonite or Valli? He played very well and calmly. A good positional game.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Stoney La Rock

I missed most of the third period, and when I got home the first thing my husband said was, "Can you believe the Rangers blew it again? The final score was 5-4 Philly." And I fell for it. I got all the four letter words out of the way first, and then I was like, there is no way that they gave up 5 goals in the third. No way. But he stuck to his story until I got to the MSG station and saw the final score, so I had at least two or three minutes of really high blood pressure.

Anyway, hope the same team shows up tonight. They played sixty minutes of quality hockey and I hope they can carry it over.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Start Henrik tonite or Valli? He played very well and calmly. A good positional game.
I think you have to play Lundqvist, but the Rangers simply need him to get back on his game.

Look at the last two games. Last night, Vally had a pretty easy time of it. He had to make some good stops, but wasn't hung out to dry on anything. Contrast that with the Carolina game where the Rangers gave up multiple odd man breaks against Lundqvist. If they had done that last night against Philly, the result might have been different.

What I'm getting at, in a roundabout way, is that I don't think Vally has a chance of stopping those odd man break chances, or really coming up with a huge game when his team needs it. He's a good player, and as long as his team gives him support, he'll do well. But that's not going to happen every night.

Now Lundqvist...he can make those saves, and he can hold the team in it when they need him to. But he has to get back on track to be able to do that, and he's not going to do that sitting on the bench watching Vally play. A lot of the teams success rests on Lundqvist finding his form once again

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:57 AM
WheresBarnaby

It worked! Thank you Rangers for putting together a game.
Now I can go back to watching you lose.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Who were these guys playing the Flyers last night and what did they do with the New York Rangers? Can they stay to play the Devils tonight as well? Is it possible to have them until the end of the season?

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Lundqvist is golden against the Devils. I know Val just had a shutout, but Lundqvist is guaranteed to do well tonite. Val, maybe

Old
02-01-2008, 12:20 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Great win...if only they could put more games like this together.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Great game by Drury, solid play all around. Nice to see Valihealy getting the shutout

I like Dawes alot, but having him with Drury and Prucha, talk about the smurfs.

Speaking of, this team still reminds me of the 86 team that went to the conference finals. Undrachievers most of the year, but squeak into the playoffs with timely hot strike. I can see this team doing that.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote