HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Siarhei Kastsitsyn Appreciation Thread

Old
02-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
He's an absolute pleasure to watch, with and without the puck. Like most elite players his head is on a smooth swivel, his positioning is superb.

Still can't believe the day is actually here that the bros are on the big club and producing. Never thought the hockey gods would let it happen.
I agree 100% , i remember last year watching Sergei Kostitsyn throughout junior thinking, man i cant wait for him to crack the team in 1-2 maybe 3 years and play with his bro and that hopefuly andrei would be given a better chance than perezhogin and step up also

1 year later and the 2 kids are ON the team doing well and one of the brightest spots on this years team filled with many

Andrei can be explosive, but Sergei is so slick, watching him play, at 20 yrs old, it really makes you wonder how amazing he is going to be at 25

The habs are going to greatly benefit from these kids for a long long time. And them playing together is 50% why, there just so happy right now and its showing on the ice.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

We'll see if he'll be able to be consistent, but so far, one of the most impressive youngsters to ever crack our lineu for his understanding of the game and his no-fear attitude. Wish he would shoot more though, always looking to pass but it will come.

Makes us understand that all of the reports that we've been getting on the guy, all the reports that we're getting on prospects as far as attitude and work ethic, might not always be important for the future of a player. If a youngster has a great work ethic already, good, it will make his coach's easier. But if they don't, well there's plenty of time to learn it. Getzlaf had bad reviews of his attitude, Kosty Jr. as well (heck, even one guy at the dev. camp described him as lazy.....oops that was me....)

But evidently, youngsters filled with talent just can't wait to compare themselves to players of higher calibers and are actually better suited to play with better players than with their junior friends. Obviously, in Kosty's case, he might not like the practices too much, but he sure learned how to play hockey under Dale Hunter and with Kane and Gagner.

Good for him. Only consistency and learning to shoot more stands between a good player and a great one. And I believe he'll be great.

Good job Kosty Jr. Good job Timmins and Co!

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
We'll see if he'll be able to be consistent, but so far, one of the most impressive youngsters to ever crack our lineu for his understanding of the game and his no-fear attitude. Wish he would shoot more though, always looking to pass but it will come.

Makes us understand that all of the reports that we've been getting on the guy, all the reports that we're getting on prospects as far as attitude and work ethic, might not always be important for the future of a player. If a youngster has a great work ethic already, good, it will make his coach's easier. But if they don't, well there's plenty of time to learn it. Getzlaf had bad reviews of his attitude, Kosty Jr. as well (heck, even one guy at the dev. camp described him as lazy.....oops that was me....)

But evidently, youngsters filled with talent just can't wait to compare themselves to players of higher calibers and are actually better suited to play with better players than with their junior friends. Obviously, in Kosty's case, he might not like the practices too much, but he sure learned how to play hockey under Dale Hunter and with Kane and Gagner.

Good for him. Only consistency and learning to shoot more stands between a good player and a great one. And I believe he'll be great.

I've never heard that Sergei Kostitsyn was lazy before this year development camp where some media Fu**ers watched him and said that he was lazy. That was pure crap talk and they didn't know anything about Sergei as we can see, because this kid is all about great attitude and irreprochable work ethic.

An advice for you: Don't trust the Montreal media, because they know zero about prospects. That's why a develpment camp don't worth a s**t in terms of evaluating prospects future...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 02:48 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Trevor Timmins can't really pat himself on the back for this one, IMO.

By waiting until the 7th round before drafting him, he could easily have lost him to someone else. So the truth is that he was less impressed than we're saying now.
The import draft is conducted by the entire CHL on the same day. Each team only gets 2 picks. My only point is that the Knights scouting system picked up on him. They picked him without any brother considerations.

Besides,why shouldn't Timmins get a pat on the back? Scouts are getting a kick in the butt for drafting highly rated guys in early rounds who turn out to be nada. Why not give credit for steals in late rounds?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 02:54 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

I didn't see the camp in question but I do recall that at the point in time he was cut this year, he was leading the Habs in shots on net for the preseason games

Billy is going to slowly shift to playing his own game. He is starting to do the things I was used to seeing him do for the Knights. He likes to hit. He likes to shoot. But he is a good playmaker too.

He may never be the top scorer on the team but you will find his game very entertaining.

Old
02-02-2008, 05:36 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I love S. Kosty, and think he can be a Plekanec level player though on the wing.

But people are giving him WAY to much credit though on that pass to Gui. It certainly was a great pass, but people are forgeting that it was Gui who made the beautiful cut across the ice to get open and recive that pass, and it was him who delayed and put it past Kolzig.

Hate to nitpick, but I've read it several times in several threads, that Gui did nothing and was just a beneficiary of an outstanding pass.

Carry on...
I love how they can play well tother. They both have soft hands so it would make for a good line with Laps who I believe is underrated.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:39 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
If the 2005 draft were redone, Sergei would easily be a first rounder.

Let's see who would and might have gone ahead of him at the moment

1st round

Crosby
Ryan (albeit barely, has a higher upside though)
JJohnson
Price
Brule (huge upside, very badly handled, if he goes on like this, kosts will leapfrog him in a year or two)
J Skille (questionable, big upside but hadn't done anything in College and was ok in the AHL)
Setoguchi
B Lee (questionable)
Luc Bourdon
Kopitar
M Staal
M Hanzal
R Parent
T Rask
Parent (great shutdown D, but his lack of offense would make him hard to pick over Kost)
TJ Oshie
M Niskanen (would pick Kost over him but since he's a high draft pick, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt)
Downie (great s*it disturber a la Tucker, 1st line potential)
Andrew Cogliano (questionable)

2nd round
Marc-Edouard Vlasic
O Pavelec
P Stastny
G. Latendresse (Kosts will eventually surpass him but they will form a great duo)

3d Round
K Letang
K Russell
C Franson

4th Round
K Yandle

5th Round
N/A

6th Round
N/A

7th Round
Stralman

I'm being really generous with a lot of the players listed here too.
I don't see Cogliano as questionable. He has great potential.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiro View Post
I've never heard that Sergei Kostitsyn was lazy before this year development camp where some media Fu**ers watched him and said that he was lazy. That was pure crap talk and they didn't know anything about Sergei as we can see, because this kid is all about great attitude and irreprochable work ethic.
Actually, like I said in my post, I guess I'm one of the media ****ers that you're referring to, without being a media. But if you would have been there all week, you would have understand. He was not at hist best all week except when came the game situations. But all the drills, mostly when you compare him to other guys especially Subban, he was not trying hard. Still it was only practices and that's what I'm saying. Juraj Mikus looked great in preseason camps and he's not worthy of a contract.

Development camp reports is just that. Reports that tries at best to report what's going down at the present time. In no way is that an indication of how a career will turn out....and that I hope it was understand....

Besides....Don Lever as well, coach of the Dogs, said something about how he had to have a better work ethic. Clearly, Kosty Jr. is a case of a guy who thrives with higher competition and needs that to stay on top. When it's too easy, you have that tendancy to sleep a little too much and that could also be understandable.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 07:41 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

good game yesterday for MY BOY!! even if he didn't score or get a point!

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Alfie Turcotte

S Kost. has an immediate impact on the team. Love the kid ! Timmins rules !

Alfie Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:22 AM
JrHockeyFan

I was actually disappointed with the Kid line against the Isles. They did not play very well in their own end.

What I did like was when they did get control of the puck they do make nice outlet passes. They show good energy in the O zone too.

For the young guys this line is a good fit to continue development. It will allow them to start playing their own game. When playing with Higgins and Koivu, Sergei was deferring to the veteran players far too much. Now that he is off that line he is making hits and shooting at the net. Good move Carbo.

Old
02-03-2008, 04:30 PM
sonnytheman

I think one of the reasons he was taken so late was his brother. Andrei struggled a lot his first two seasons after being drafted; I believe the 2005 draft was after Andrei's first season in the AHL, and he didn't put up a lot of points for a 10th overall pick. I'm sure a lot of people saw that and backed off, especially since Sergei wasn't supposed to have the skill of his brother (if older brother is a bust, and younger brother doesn't have as good a skill set, prob not going to be a good player, right?).

sonnytheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 05:17 PM
NewHabsEra*

The kid impress me game after game, by far the best player on his line again tonight, I felt he was just too good for Koivu and Higgins today..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 05:44 PM
kernkraft

What a precise wrister on that penalty shot today, a true "top-shelf" goal, right on the water bottle. It was his specialty in the Juniors and he's still got it.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 07:35 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
What a precise wrister on that penalty shot today, a true "top-shelf" goal, right on the water bottle. It was his specialty in the Juniors and he's still got it.
I thought the game was their's after that

Nice shot though, too bad he doesn't use it more often.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 09:58 PM
kostitsyn fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Maroons View Post
That doesn't add up, not that is a good indication of how the rest of the season goes, but that projects to 50 points in 82 games.

I'm almost certain it was 38 points in 30 games but he wouldn't have been first for much longer.
it was 13 goals 26 assists in 26 games

kostitsyn fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
good game yesterday for MY BOY!!
Siarhei "Blue" Kastsitsyn. Wait, are you Will Ferrell???

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:39 PM
brownman*

I'd like to see him use his wheels more but that'll come with each passing game.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:49 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn fan View Post
no way

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

I love the way he plays. He brings alot to this team, no way would I ever consider moving him back down. However, sometimes I see him a couple of meters away from the goal, left completely alone with the goaltender, yet instead of taking one of his good shots he looks around and attempts a high risk pass which doesnt get through. I guess with time it might change, but even today I remember him alone with the goalie yet he looked for a pass. He should use his shot more, maybe give his brother a run for his money this year.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 11:04 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn fan View Post
http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app?pa...e=page&tab=bio

So it was 38 points.

Now, I checked and the game on Dec 7th was the 30th game. Saku had not missed any until then.

Therefore, 38 points in 30 games

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 09:55 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
I love the way he plays. He brings alot to this team, no way would I ever consider moving him back down. However, sometimes I see him a couple of meters away from the goal, left completely alone with the goaltender, yet instead of taking one of his good shots he looks around and attempts a high risk pass which doesnt get through. I guess with time it might change, but even today I remember him alone with the goalie yet he looked for a pass. He should use his shot more, maybe give his brother a run for his money this year.
In a way it is not surprising. The Habs are playing a style of play that he was used to in Junior. His first year he played a lot with Schremp and Bolland. The 2nd year he played a lot on the PP with Kane and Gagner.

Those teams passed an awful lot. They drove the SHOOOOOOTit people nuts. But it works when you are playing with skilled players.

On the other hand, Billy often played PP at the point and collapsed down in the high slot to fire off one of the top shelf wristers. It is a deadly accurate shot. If you watched him in the warm ups Sunday he was practicing one timers with his brother feeding him the puck.Very accurate high shots. He can shoot great and I wish he did it more.

I wish he was back playing with Lats and Laps. He defers too much to Higgins and Koivu

Old
02-04-2008, 11:23 AM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
I can answer this one. On the Gazette's Habsinsideout.com website, there was an audio interview with Sergei after his first game. He was asked about his number 74, and responded that it was just what they [the team] gave him. I'm sure he'll follow Plekanec's lead [the #35 to #14 switch], and request #24 in training camp next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I have a question regarding our young Belarussian.

Why does he wear #74? He wore #24 in London (when #74 wasn't taken). He wore #23 in Hamilton (#24 was taken by Francis Lemieux).

Now, in Montreal #24 isn't being used by anyone (and it's not retired).. so why #74? I feel like it might be because someone scribbled 24 down and the 2 looked like a 7.

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 11:54 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscout View Post
I can answer this one. On the Gazette's Habsinsideout.com website, there was an audio interview with Sergei after his first game. He was asked about his number 74, and responded that it was just what they [the team] gave him. I'm sure he'll follow Plekanec's lead [the #35 to #14 switch], and request #24 in training camp next season.
That's great! Thanks for that! It was really bugging me..

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Seems that although SK may not prefer Serge over Sergei, he might be developing an impressive French accent. I don't have confirmation that this is actually him, but if you watch this video, I'd swear that he appears at the 1m 12s mark and tells the camera that his favourite player is Sergei Kostitsyn. Certainly looks a similar age.

Decide for yourselves.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote