HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drafting the Dallas Stars..

View Poll Results: ..
Mike Modano 2 7.14%
Jere Lehtinen 1 3.57%
Brenden Morrow 10 35.71%
Mike Ribeiro 5 17.86%
Niklas Hagman 0 0%
Jussi Jokinen 0 0%
Sergei Zubov 2 7.14%
Philippe Boucher 0 0%
Marty Turco 5 17.86%
Mat Niskanen 3 10.71%
Mike Smith 0 0%
Antti Miettinen 0 0%
James Neal 0 0%
Ivan Vishnevskiy 0 0%
Other (specify) 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2008, 02:55 PM
  #1
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,158
vCash: 500
Drafting the Dallas Stars..

If all the players attached in any way (prospects, pending UFA's, RFA's) to the Dallas Stars, were thrown into a big pool, what would be the order they would be drafted in?

Take age, potential, impact, value, whatever you may like into consideration. However, in order to make the veterans on the team still somewhat valueble, the objective of the draft is to win the Stanley Cup within the next 5-7 years.

Who goes first?

Ajacied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 03:13 PM
  #2
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus
 
DaStars99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,054
vCash: 500
Ribeiro, Morrow, Niskanen, Jokinen/Hagman
In that order with Hagman/Jokinen being interchangeable, although after Nisky it gets a lot harder

DaStars99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 03:19 PM
  #3
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,534
vCash: 500
I chose Niskanen. I absolutely believe within 5-7 years Niskanen will be an all star caliber number one dman

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 03:20 PM
  #4
________
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,642
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
I only picked Niskanen because in five years he'll be awesome and in 5-7 years to win the cup.
Otherwise, if it was just the next two years then it'd probably be Zubov, second Morrow.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 03:40 PM
  #5
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Turco, because under this assumption there are 30 teams picking. Goaltending being the most important position requires every team to disproportionately compensate for starting goalies.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 05:26 PM
  #6
User Name
Registered User Name
 
User Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indian lands
Country: United States
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
I picked Morrow twice, 'cause I'm a dumbass who can't figure out how to work the internet.

User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 05:31 PM
  #7
User Name
Registered User Name
 
User Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indian lands
Country: United States
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Turco, because under this assumption there are 30 teams picking. Goaltending being the most important position requires every team to disproportionately compensate for starting goalies.
But who wants a 37 year old goalie? Which is how old Turco wil be in 5 years. Several of the others won't be playing then either.

User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 08:49 PM
  #8
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
But who wants a 37 year old goalie? Which is how old Turco wil be in 5 years. Several of the others won't be playing then either.
In five years, no one, but you've got him up until then too including the ability to trade him. Turco is the only player on the Stars that would be worth a first round pick in this type of a draft, and that's what we're talking about.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 09:48 PM
  #9
User Name
Registered User Name
 
User Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indian lands
Country: United States
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
In five years, no one, but you've got him up until then too including the ability to trade him. Turco is the only player on the Stars that would be worth a first round pick in this type of a draft, and that's what we're talking about.
I didn't see the part about being worth a first round pick. Did you?

Lehtinen, Morrow, Ribero, Zubov and maybe Niskanen could all be worth a first rounder today, as well as Turco.

User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 10:34 PM
  #10
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
I didn't see the part about being worth a first round pick. Did you?

Lehtinen, Morrow, Ribero, Zubov and maybe Niskanen could all be worth a first rounder today, as well as Turco.
Is it not implied when the original poster writes, "if all the players attached in any way (prospects, pending UFA's, RFA's) to the Dallas Stars, were thrown into a big pool, what would be the order they would be drafted in?" Since you can only vote for one player, it is reasonable to conclude your vote is for the first Stars player selected. If there are 30 teams, hence the fantasy draft format I was going by, I don't think there are any other Stars players that would be worth picking in the first round other than Turco, therefore making Turco the first Stars player selected and my vote in the poll.

I believe that impression of mine was also included in my original comment which you took umbrage with, therefore you should have known where I was coming from. If you disagreed with my take on the poll question, you could have written your disagreement clearly instead of challenging my vote for Turco based upon his age, yet also including an older Zubov and an older Lehtinen in your own player list.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:42 AM
  #11
Svensken
 
Svensken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 647
vCash: 500
Picked Morrow

Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:24 AM
  #12
User Name
Registered User Name
 
User Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indian lands
Country: United States
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Is it not implied when the original poster writes, "if all the players attached in any way (prospects, pending UFA's, RFA's) to the Dallas Stars, were thrown into a big pool, what would be the order they would be drafted in?" Since you can only vote for one player, it is reasonable to conclude your vote is for the first Stars player selected. If there are 30 teams, hence the fantasy draft format I was going by, I don't think there are any other Stars players that would be worth picking in the first round other than Turco, therefore making Turco the first Stars player selected and my vote in the poll.

I believe that impression of mine was also included in my original comment which you took umbrage with, therefore you should have known where I was coming from. If you disagreed with my take on the poll question, you could have written your disagreement clearly instead of challenging my vote for Turco based upon his age, yet also including an older Zubov and an older Lehtinen in your own player list.
If what you are saying is that Turco is the only player worthy of being picked first, then I understand. It sounds like you are attempting to trade Turco for a first round pick though.

User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 01:01 PM
  #13
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
If what you are saying is that Turco is the only player worthy of being picked first, then I understand. It sounds like you are attempting to trade Turco for a first round pick though.
Have you ever played fantasy football? You know how all players of all teams are able to be drafted by X amount of teams? I don't know about your league, but most leagues have historically drafted a very large number of running backs in the first couple of rounds because it is/was the most valuable position and hardest to fill with a quality player.

In the scenario unfolded above, I read the poll question that all 30 NHL teams were drafting all NHL players/prospects. In this format for the NHL, goalie would be the same as running backs. So yeah, in that world, I think Turco would be the only one worthy of a first round selection because it would be likely 15 or more goalies were picked and no other Stars player is better than another player at another position to warrant being picked ahead. Would you pick Ribeiro over Crosby, Malkin, Lecavalier, Getzlaf or any other number of younger, higher ceiling centers, not to mention wingers?

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 02:52 PM
  #14
User Name
Registered User Name
 
User Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indian lands
Country: United States
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Have you ever played fantasy football? You know how all players of all teams are able to be drafted by X amount of teams? I don't know about your league, but most leagues have historically drafted a very large number of running backs in the first couple of rounds because it is/was the most valuable position and hardest to fill with a quality player.

In the scenario unfolded above, I read the poll question that all 30 NHL teams were drafting all NHL players/prospects. In this format for the NHL, goalie would be the same as running backs. So yeah, in that world, I think Turco would be the only one worthy of a first round selection because it would be likely 15 or more goalies were picked and no other Stars player is better than another player at another position to warrant being picked ahead. Would you pick Ribeiro over Crosby, Malkin, Lecavalier, Getzlaf or any other number of younger, higher ceiling centers, not to mention wingers?

In real life, the draft that you describe is similar to an expansion draft, except all the players you mention would be protected. The Wild got Manny Fernandez from Dallas in an expansion draft because Belfour and Turek were protected.

Your draft is identical to Yahoo fantasy hockey except that there are no running backs. On my fantasy teams, where I selected the draft order, I have Turco twice with Luongo and Brodeur as the second. I understand the value of good goaltending. If I wanted the Cup in 5 years, I'd pick a younger goalie. If I wanted it today, I'd choose Turco.

I just read the scenario as a team being able to cherry pick the Stars, who goes first, second...

User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 03:17 PM
  #15
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
In real life, the draft that you describe is similar to an expansion draft, except all the players you mention would be protected. The Wild got Manny Fernandez from Dallas in an expansion draft because Belfour and Turek were protected.

Your draft is identical to Yahoo fantasy hockey except that there are no running backs. On my fantasy teams, where I selected the draft order, I have Turco twice with Luongo and Brodeur as the second. I understand the value of good goaltending. If I wanted the Cup in 5 years, I'd pick a younger goalie. If I wanted it today, I'd choose Turco.

I just read the scenario as a team being able to cherry pick the Stars, who goes first, second...
Fernandez and Turek were both dealt prior to expansion drafts in different years because they were going to be left exposed because all NHL teams could only protect one goalie.

And yes, fantasy hockey would be identical to what I was going by but in a real world scenario. Sure, a younger goalie would be more valuable than Turco, but there would also be 30 teams selecting, therefore limiting the number of young goalies with high upsides to build a team around.

If the poll question was as you interpreted it, it would be impossible to predict based upon not knowing what teams picked where, therefore not knowing what all teams need. If, for instance, the Kings picked first, Turco might be the first pick. And no, I'm not trying to argue Turco is the best goalie in the NHL, rather that a team's needs dictate what player is chosen and where. If Vancouver picked first, Morrow would be more logical since Vancouver doesn't need a goalie. That's why I thought the poll question revolved around a fantasy type draft.

My interpretation of the poll question could very well be wrong, or maybe both of our interpretations are incorrect, but that's what I was going by.


Last edited by Chad_: 02-01-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 04:29 PM
  #16
User Name
Registered User Name
 
User Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indian lands
Country: United States
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
If the poll question was as you interpreted it, it would be impossible to predict based upon not knowing what teams picked where, therefore not knowing what all teams need.

My interpretation of the poll question could very well be wrong, or maybe both of our interpretations are incorrect, but that's what I was going by.
I'll concede that you are correct about the transisition of Turek and Fernandez to other teams. Hell, I can't even remember what brand of beer I was drinking on those days...

In my interpretation of this poll, one team cherry picks one player. Then in round two one team cherry picks one player. When round three gets here I'll interpret it as one team cherry picking one player, unless I hear differently from the pollster.

User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 05:20 PM
  #17
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
I'll concede that you are correct about the transisition of Turek and Fernandez to other teams. Hell, I can't even remember what brand of beer I was drinking on those days...
Me? Several different kinds including, but not limited to, Keystone Light, Coors Light, Rolling Rock and a cheap knock off of that Ice brew with higher alcohol content. You could get that last kind, whose name evades me, for $10 a case and it carried a whooping.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.