HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1983-84- What happened?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2008, 09:06 PM
  #1
Al Bundy*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,073
vCash: 500
1983-84- What happened?

The 1983-84 Canadiens are a team that still boggles my mind to this day.

They were the only playoff team in the Wales Conference that failed to post a winning record or win 40 games, and finished with their first losing record in a long time.

Somehow, they managed to sweep Boston, beat Quebec, and make it to the Conference Finals- hell, they even went up 2-0 in games against the Isles before losing the series.

How did such a mediocre Canadiens team go so far that year?

Also, why did they open that Wales Finals at the Forum A 40 loss team opened the series at home against a 50+ win team.

That team still confuses me- the mediocre season, the playoff run, the confusing home-ice advantage.

Please explain this one, Hab fans. I'd appreciate it.

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:17 PM
  #2
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 27,881
vCash: 500
We had a goalie that came out of nowhere to replace our regular season guys and he was incredible. Kid's name was Steve Penney. He looked like he was going to be the goalie of the future until a couple of seasons later when some kid named Patrick Roy showed up.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:30 PM
  #3
Rayne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
An average Canadiens team won the cup in 1986. It's not so farfetched.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:44 PM
  #4
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,468
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
An average Canadiens team won the cup in 1986. It's not so farfetched.
I really don't know if I would call the 86 team average.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:45 PM
  #5
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
The 1983-84 Canadiens are a team that still boggles my mind to this day.

They were the only playoff team in the Wales Conference that failed to post a winning record or win 40 games, and finished with their first losing record in a long time.

Somehow, they managed to sweep Boston, beat Quebec, and make it to the Conference Finals- hell, they even went up 2-0 in games against the Isles before losing the series.

How did such a mediocre Canadiens team go so far that year?

Also, why did they open that Wales Finals at the Forum A 40 loss team opened the series at home against a 50+ win team.

That team still confuses me- the mediocre season, the playoff run, the confusing home-ice advantage.

Please explain this one, Hab fans. I'd appreciate it.
Steve Penney and a few ballsy vets.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:53 PM
  #6
Al Bundy*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I really don't know if I would call the 86 team average.
Could I call the 84 team below average?

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:58 PM
  #7
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Steve Penney and a few ballsy vets.
Also, Chris Chelios joined the team after the Olympics and made a big difference. The following year, 1984-85, with pretty much the same team as the end of 1983-84, the Habs finished first in their division.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:18 PM
  #8
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,397
vCash: 500
We swapped for Bobby Smith that year & he was great with Naslund.

Days before the trade, Minnesota GM Lou Nanne was guesting on an open line radio show and I called him up asking him about the rumour that Smith was going to be traded. Nanne denied it vigorously. A few days later Smith was a Canadien.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 12:09 AM
  #9
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Penney was doing a great Dryden/Roy impression. Habs not really that bad a team as record indicates. Lafleur, Gainey, Robinson, Shutt, then Chelios arrived late that year after the Olympics, Jacques Lemaire was appointed coach late in the year as well. Bobby Smith, Mats Naslund, Ryan Walter, Guy Carbonneau, Mike McPhee, Chris Nilan. That was a decent club who added a hot goalie, a good coach and hot-shot rookie late in the season.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 05:25 AM
  #10
ToysInTheAttic
Registered User
 
ToysInTheAttic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,864
vCash: 500
Hell and damnation, I can't remember back that far. My long term memory isn't what it used to be. My short term memory is none to good either. What was I talking about? Never mind, off to the next thread...

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 06:05 AM
  #11
kent_carlson
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Gnick42 is right on all points. I should add that it was the first time Jacques Lemaire used that famous "trappe" of his. I remember a quote in the newspaper from Denis Potvin who said he had never seen such a system, without forechecking with 5 guys waiting in the neutral zone. We could have won but in the 3rd game, Billy Smith faked an interference from Bob Gainey, they won the game and it was enough to give them the lift they needed.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 08:03 AM
  #12
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
Gnick42 is right on all points. I should add that it was the first time Jacques Lemaire used that famous "trappe" of his. I remember a quote in the newspaper from Denis Potvin who said he had never seen such a system, without forechecking with 5 guys waiting in the neutral zone. We could have won but in the 3rd game, Billy Smith faked an interference from Bob Gainey, they won the game and it was enough to give them the lift they needed.
That was the series Gainey played with TWO separated shoulders.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 08:24 AM
  #13
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
MVP
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,630
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I really don't know if I would call the 86 team average.
Agreed. Obviously I am too young to have seen them play, but after reading the Patrick Roy book, it's clear the team underachieved for most of that season because there was absolutely no harmony in the dressing room between the vets and rookies. Team chemistry was a huge problem that year. Gainey and other leaders called a big team meeting with about 20 games left, the locker room all of a sudden was more united, more kids like Claude Lemieux were called up and and the team went on a tear that continued all the way to Lord Stanley.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 08:39 AM
  #14
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
That was the series Gainey played with TWO separated shoulders.
I forgot about that part. What a warrior Gainey was.

Didn't Naslund missed on a penalty shot in Game 3. Then there was a vicious brawl with the Islanders. Not to mention the Good Friday Massacre with Quebec. God, they don't play hockey like that anymore

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 09:38 AM
  #15
kent_carlson
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I forgot about that part. What a warrior Gainey was.

Didn't Naslund missed on a penalty shot in Game 3. Then there was a vicious brawl with the Islanders. Not to mention the Good Friday Massacre with Quebec. God, they don't play hockey like that anymore
The second injury should have been a charging penalty against B. Trottier, but hey, I am a homer.

You can find the semi-brawl on youtube, of course Billy Smith kept his mask!

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.