HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why, God, Why?

Old
02-01-2008, 08:47 PM
BluesDarb

vCash: 500
Why, God, Why?

WHY is Matt Walker on RW?

Someone unexpectedly drop dead or something?

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Stang

I wish I could answer that question but I really don't know of any logical reason why he would be there. Perhaps one of the Blues' coaches have studied his play and/or practice and thinks he has potential there...who knows

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:27 PM
fcpremix88

The Blues are playing Anaheim; a very tough team with lots of size. Andy Murray wants size up front and Perron is a rookie they want to break in easy. I don't want to see someone like Parros or Bertuzzi injure him/shake him up.

Walker's not that bad.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:32 PM
General Veers

If we need him for extra toughness, he should be on D and Backman should be sitting.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:33 PM
fcpremix88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
If we need him for extra toughness, he should be on D and Backman should be sitting.
I said that in the GDT, but the many of you hoping for a trade should be able to come up with something positive

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 09:41 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiodos View Post
I said that in the GDT, but the many of you hoping for a trade should be able to come up with something positive
Whatever that means...

Old
02-01-2008, 10:02 PM
HockeyHippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDarb View Post
WHY is Matt Walker on RW?

Someone unexpectedly drop dead or something?
Is King injured?

HockeyHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:06 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver08 View Post
Is King injured?
He's out there now, so I don't think he is.... (crossing fingers)

Old
02-01-2008, 11:01 PM
EG

Send a message via AIM to EG
Walker is not that much bigger than Mike Glumac. Is Glumac still with the team or what?

EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:22 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by EG View Post
Walker is not that much bigger than Mike Glumac. Is Glumac still with the team or what?
They might be listed at similar sizes, and they might be within a couple inches height-wise, but Walker is clearly a bigger guy. One look on the ice is all it takes, but a second look cements the fact.

Besides, in the handful of shifts Walker had, he worked hard, kept the puck in the zone, and looked solid. The Blues won an entertaining and hard-fought game, I can't complain.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:45 PM
EG

Send a message via AIM to EG
I actually haven't seen Glumac play once this season because of untelevised games and WB11 games that I don't get here.

EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:51 PM
BluesDarb

Glumac can best be described as a warm body.

Beyond that he's never done much for the Blues.

He's good at taking up a roster spot, and that's about it.

Old
02-01-2008, 11:56 PM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Glumac can best be described as a warm body.

Beyond that he's never done much for the Blues.

He's good at taking up a roster spot, and that's about it.
I beg to differ, sir.

In his recent call-up, I thought he availed himself pretty well playing with Stempy and J-Mac. On a short-term basis, if we ever need a bigger, tougher forward in the future, I would vote for Glumac over Matt Walker every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Of course, Walker has the one-way contract and Glumac doesn't. If we were judging strictly on hockey skills, I think it's an easy decision.

Mike is not an all-star in the making, or a significant piece of our future roster...but I'd say he's more than just a "warm body."

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 12:02 AM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post
I beg to differ, sir.

In his recent call-up, I thought he availed himself pretty well playing with Stempy and J-Mac. On a short-term basis, if we ever need a bigger, tougher forward in the future, I would vote for Glumac over Matt Walker every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Of course, Walker has the one-way contract and Glumac doesn't. If we were judging strictly on hockey skills, I think it's an easy decision.

Mike is not an all-star in the making, or a significant piece of our future roster...but I'd say he's more than just a "warm body."
Agree on Glumac. I'm not a Walker fan, but I think he didn't look out of place on wing. Who'd a thunk it?

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 01:00 AM
BluesDarb

Glumac's career stats:

GP G A Pts +/- PIM PPG PPA SHG SHA GW GT SOG Pct
40 7 6 13 -8 38 5 1 0 0 0 0 62 .113

I stand by my characterization of his play.

Old
02-02-2008, 01:13 AM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Glumac's career stats:

GP G A Pts +/- PIM PPG PPA SHG SHA GW GT SOG Pct
40 7 6 13 -8 38 5 1 0 0 0 0 62 .113

I stand by my characterization of his play.
Well, I'm lazy, and it's late, so I choose not to attempt to refute your post with statistics.

Instead, I offer the following:

1. How many of those 40 career GP were during the abonimable '05-'06 season?
2. Do you allow for the possibility that young Glumac may still be working to develop & improve his game?
3. What did you see in his recent stint with the Blues that you disliked?
4. If you needed to choose one Blues winger to skate against a tough, physical opponent...would you choose Mike Glumac or Matt Walker? Please avoid the temptation to propose that you'd choose Perron over both (I would too)...Coach Murray made it clear that David wouldn't be playing against the big boys tonight.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 02:04 AM
BluesDarb

1)33

2)He's 28, it's make it or break it time.

3)I didn't see anything from him that I liked, he seemed to fade into the background. He had no points.

4)Matt Walker. He's bigger and he's got more NHL experience.

Old
02-02-2008, 02:22 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by EG View Post
Glumac isn't a tenth the fighter/physical presence Walker is. Clearly the Blues wanted to make a statement that they would not let the Ducks (who are the toughest team in hockey) push them around. Personally I respect that quite a bit. Amazingly I simply looked at the title of this thread and immediately knew that it would be someone complaining about Matt Walker playing forward, and sure enough....How people would rather see some pansy who can't even spell standing up for his teammates play a few minutes over a heart and soul guy like Walker is beyond me.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 04:36 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
You can't trade Backman, if he doesn't play. I would much rather have Backman in the lineup than Walker. I'm glad we don't have Lidstrom on our team. You'd be crying about how he plays as well. Backman is not a bruiser. Get over it. He gives you one more guy on the team that can play his position with McKee and Salvador.

AM needs to leave him and Jackman alone and just let them play their game. I think he has got those two messed up. Both of them need a change of scenery.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Prussian_Blue

I was at the game last night, and I thought Walker was fine on RW. DJ King actually tried to set Big Country up for his first-ever career NHL goal on more than one occasion, and if it had been another goalie besides Giguere in the net, there's a good chance it might have happened.

That said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Glumac isn't a tenth the fighter/physical presence Walker is ... How people would rather see some pansy who can't even spell standing up for his teammates play a few minutes over a heart and soul guy like Walker is beyond me.
If you seriously believe that Mike Glumac "can't even spell 'standing up for his teammates'," you need to put down the crack pipe and find yourself another sport to watch, Initials...

I agree that Walker is a better fighter and more imposing physical presence than Glumac, but it's ridiculous to imply that Glumac isn't capable of playing that role effectively at the NHL level. As as for "heart and soul," Walker may well be one of those guys, but you're not going to find too many players that will skate through a brick wall for this organization more readily than Mike Glumac.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Robb_K

Walker played well at RW. He was surprisingly mobile and able to stay with his man. He got back fine on defence. He forechecked well, and surprisingly cycled the puck well, helping keep the puck in the Ducks' end for a good amount of time. The checking line was tied for the best Blues' line in that game. He provided additional muscle and toughness needed against The Ducks. A successful experiment.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 07:27 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
You can't trade Backman, if he doesn't play. I would much rather have Backman in the lineup than Walker. I'm glad we don't have Lidstrom on our team. You'd be crying about how he plays as well. Backman is not a bruiser. Get over it. He gives you one more guy on the team that can play his position with McKee and Salvador.

AM needs to leave him and Jackman alone and just let them play their game. I think he has got those two messed up. Both of them need a change of scenery.
Expecting a physical game from Backman?!?!?! Are you drunk? I'm mad because he takes up a roster spot, not because he doesn't hit! (8,000 laughing smilies here)

Old
02-04-2008, 10:17 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
If you seriously believe that Mike Glumac "can't even spell 'standing up for his teammates'," you need to put down the crack pipe and find yourself another sport to watch, Initials...

I agree that Walker is a better fighter and more imposing physical presence than Glumac, but it's ridiculous to imply that Glumac isn't capable of playing that role effectively at the NHL level. As as for "heart and soul," Walker may well be one of those guys, but you're not going to find too many players that will skate through a brick wall for this organization more readily than Mike Glumac.

P_B

I'm not saying Glumac isn't a hard worker. Quite frankly I haven't seen enough of him to make a fair assessment about his work ethic. What I can state with unequivocal certainty is that Glumac absolutey cannot play the same role Matt Walker can. Glumac has essentially never fought anyone who's even remotely a legit fighter, and he still has won less than half of his fights (which are few and far between). You're telling me that if May or Parros took a run at someone Glumac would step in and drop the gloves with them? Because in all honesty there is essentially zero chance of that happening. Walker is a fringe heavyweight who could drop the gloves with anyone in the league.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I'm not saying Glumac isn't a hard worker. Quite frankly I haven't seen enough of him to make a fair assessment about his work ethic. What I can state with unequivocal certainty is that Glumac absolutey cannot play the same role Matt Walker can. Glumac has essentially never fought anyone who's even remotely a legit fighter, and he still has won less than half of his fights (which are few and far between). You're telling me that if May or Parros took a run at someone Glumac would step in and drop the gloves with them? Because in all honesty there is essentially zero chance of that happening. Walker is a fringe heavyweight who could drop the gloves with anyone in the league.
Based on what I know, and have seen, of Mike Glumac, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

He might well get his Niagara Falls ass kicked, but if he's the guy on the ice at the time who is expected to take that role, he will take it and give it his best effort.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote