HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most Important Restricted FA?

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5
Very good point. If they are restricted now though, don't we have until the new collective bargaining is in place to agree on a contract?
If we were to wait until the new CBA, would everyone at that age immediately become UFAs? I would think that part of the agreement couldn't take place until the end of the next season.
To retain their rights, they have to be offered a qualifier this summer. They don't have the option of waiting, and there may be a few guys who jump at the chance to get a guaranteed raise (10% base salary increase for those players making less than $2 million per... so just about all the Sabre RFA's except Biron).

Old
04-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
To retain their rights, they have to be offered a qualifier this summer. They don't have the option of waiting, and there may be a few guys who jump at the chance to get a guaranteed raise (10% base salary increase for those players making less than $2 million per... so just about all the Sabre RFA's except Biron).
Thanks! So if we offer the qualifier to everyone who deserves it, we can technically hold onto their rights and not agree to a long term contract with them until after the CBA agreement is in place, right? The players that wouldn't jump on the 10% raise, are the ones that I'm concerned about. But that still leaves the question, If we qualify them, they are RFA, but if we don't agree to a contract until after the new CBA, and the new CBA lowers the age for UFA eligibility to affect some of the players we tendered, would they automatically become UFA? I know its confusing, but its something I'm sure the GMs are asking.

Old
04-14-2004, 04:24 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Thanks! So if we offer the qualifier to everyone who deserves it, we can technically hold onto their rights and not agree to a long term contract with them until after the CBA agreement is in place, right? The players that wouldn't jump on the 10% raise, are the ones that I'm concerned about. But that still leaves the question, If we qualify them, they are RFA, but if we don't agree to a contract until after the new CBA, and the new CBA lowers the age for UFA eligibility to affect some of the players we tendered, would they automatically become UFA? I know its confusing, but its something I'm sure the GMs are asking.
Well.... if a player feels they deserve better than the 10% base increase and decide to negotiate and the Sabres do so in bad faith, it'll be akin to the Peca situation. If they don't accept the qualifier, the Sabres retain their rights, including the right to match offers if a player signs an offer sheet with another club or the right to compensation as set down in the CBA guidelines.

As for whether or not they're under and UFA... that's a question that would have to be ironed out in negotiations for the new CBA, though my first instinct is that they'll be free to sign whereever and with whomever they choose at that point.

Old
04-15-2004, 06:14 AM
future consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
That was the attitude Phoenix had with Briere before he developed.

The most important RFAs might - might - be those RFAs who are closest to 31. Given a new CBA and the possibility of moving down the UFA age, how those players are re-signed could be of crucial importance. For instance, if the age is moved to 27, and we sign all 26 year olds to 1 year contracts, we might have screwed up.
Difference is Briere had a 32 goal season under his belt before getting moved. Phoenix moved him because he was having a bad year and is not good defensively and they needed Grattons size and faceoff ability.

Old
04-15-2004, 06:17 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
That was the attitude Phoenix had with Briere before he developed.

The most important RFAs might - might - be those RFAs who are closest to 31. Given a new CBA and the possibility of moving down the UFA age, how those players are re-signed could be of crucial importance. For instance, if the age is moved to 27, and we sign all 26 year olds to 1 year contracts, we might have screwed up.
Yeah I agree, we need to give Tim a little more time before we consider him a bust.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:07 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot

So what does Connolly have?3 ten goal seasons?2 forty point seasons?Connolly is a bust plain and simple.He has had time to change and in 3 years he has shown nothing spectacular just his stickhandling in the def. zone which leads to goals

Old
04-15-2004, 11:12 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Very good point. If they are restricted now though, don't we have until the new collective bargaining is in place to agree on a contract?
If we were to wait until the new CBA, would everyone at that age immediately become UFAs? I would think that part of the agreement couldn't take place until the end of the next season.
That's the problem of being between a rock and a hard place. The CBA expires Sept. 15 IIRC. The first pre-season game was Sept. 19 last year. Do we really want to wait until it expires? There are risks whatever route we take.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:17 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by future consideration
Difference is Briere had a 32 goal season under his belt before getting moved. Phoenix moved him because he was having a bad year and is not good defensively and they needed Grattons size and faceoff ability.
Phoenix moved Briere to Springfield in the AHL in 2000-1. Briere had 10 career goals at that time and was 23 years old. To go to Springfield, he had to clear waivers.

Connolly is 22 and has never scored less than 10 goals in a season.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:18 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
So what does Connolly have?3 ten goal seasons?2 forty point seasons?Connolly is a bust plain and simple.He has had time to change and in 3 years he has shown nothing spectacular just his stickhandling in the def. zone which leads to goals
Interesting that someone named DanielBriere48 would forget about Daniel Briere, who was waived thru the league as a 23 year old with 10 career goals and defensive shortcomings. Is Daniel Briere a bust?

Old
04-15-2004, 11:25 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Interesting that someone named DanielBriere48 would forget about Daniel Briere, who was waived thru the league as a 23 year old with 10 career goals and defensive shortcomings. Is Daniel Briere a bust?

Well Gee,maybe if Briere had gotten 4 full seasons to prove himself maybe he wouldn't be put on waivers.He played less then 100 games!No one saw how good he could be!Connolly has played 325 games!More then 3X as much as Briere at 23!

Old
04-15-2004, 10:54 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Maybe Connolly isn't a bust, but I'm 95% certain that he is a bust in the Sabres orginization, and if he ends up revitalizing his career it has to be with another team.

Old
04-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Since my post was in reference to Dig's questions about RFA qualifiers, I don't get your point other than you hate Connolly...

Old
04-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Well Gee,maybe if Briere had gotten 4 full seasons to prove himself maybe he wouldn't be put on waivers.He played less then 100 games!No one saw how good he could be!Connolly has played 325 games!More then 3X as much as Briere at 23!
Don't blame Connolly because he was forced into the NHL before he was ready. There are always "what ifs". Like what if he was brought along slowly? What if he hadn't gotten a serious concussion? I don't feel we've been able to see everything Connolly can offer us to this point and I would hate to see him go right now. Not only can you compare his career and potential to Briere, but I have compared him even closer to Afinogenov and I don't think many of us feel Maxim should be traded right now, but maybe thought about it when he was struggling before and soon after the concussion. Niether Connolly nor Afinogenov have been productive yet, but they have time. It doesn't help either of them to put up big numbers with our system being mostly defense first.

Old
04-16-2004, 10:40 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Maybe?

Fact is, the entire NHL gave up on Briere because nobody claimed him. People forget that kids develop. Part of Connolly's playing 325 games is because he was rushed, but part of it was because he showed more than Briere did at that age too. A 45 point season for a 21 year old ain't bad.

Old
04-16-2004, 10:41 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
Maybe Connolly isn't a bust, but I'm 95% certain that he is a bust in the Sabres orginization, and if he ends up revitalizing his career it has to be with another team.
Why?

Closed Thread