HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game Takes: Habs Beat Down Isles 4-1

Old
02-02-2008, 07:34 PM
madbox

vCash: 500
Koivu looked really, really good today, better than he has in a while through sixty minutes. Hope it's a sign of things to come, we need him at his best. Working hard, skating hard, battling and making unbelievable passes.

Still LOLing at Huet.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 08:34 PM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I didn't read your post questioning Markov's heart and motivation, and im very glad i didnt.

Markos has been our most consistent player since the lockout. He plays hard and well every game. Bad games happen, but to question his heart or motivation is simply foolish.

The fact you say you ''regained'' your respect for him because he came back from the puck he received is ridiculous. The puck wasn't coming fast, it was a messed up backhander that didn't even cut Markov. A few years ago he wouldn't have come back from it???
Most highsticks do more damage than this little puck to the face, i dont know what you're talking about.

As for Markov celebrating like he did, he ALWAYS does it, so once again i dont know what you're talking about.

Markov has been great for a very long time, not because you dont like his facial expressions or lack of facial emotions that he doesnt have heart.
Don't be an idiot. I'll "flip" a puck into your face and see if you like it.

It is well documented that in the past Markov has not been the most coachble player on the Habs roster, let alone guys like Souray and Rivet often questioned his desire to want to become an elite defender - always had the tools, but lacked some of the motivation and comittment to "be the guy". (Comparable to Kovalev at times in his career; but look at Kovy's year so far - he's answered the bell....)

Am I saying Markov is not valuable to the Habs? Of course not.

He could very well be our best overall player and maybe SHOULD be.

Let's hope this comes to fruition. As good as he is, Gainey and Carbo have always believed he could be one of the best in the league, and have challenged him to do so. Maybe his recent all-star naming, and the current success of the Habs will help Andrei elevate his game from "superb" to "dominant".

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Agree on every point. I think the criticism of Brisebois' just piling on. He tried a play it didn't work.

Smolinski's really moving the puck well since his return.

I don't know if it's been mentionned but Ryder and Higgins drew 4 penalties between them, that's a good sign.
Well, its not the first time Brisebois makes a mistake at the blue line. And after being a healthy scratch for like a month, he should be playing a safe and simple game.
It wasn't his only mistake either, but it just happened it caused a goal.
People would be forgiving if he was playing with courage. The man has a nice frame of 6'2 205lbs, he should be using his size. Yet Gorges and Streit have more courage and eat up hits but make sure they play the puck first. Brisebois always slows down not to get hit, lets the player pass him and take the puck, and then works on taking the puck away from him, something he rarely succeeds at.

When O'Byrne comes back, i don't see why we should keep Brisebois instead of him. If Carbo decides to put Streit on 4th line, than i don't see why Brisebois deserves a spot over O'Byrne(after playing a few in AHL for rehab)

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 08:42 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs514 View Post
The good

All the Habs players except Brisebois

The bad

Brisebois

The worst
Brisebois

fixed

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 08:42 PM
JrHockeyFan

Well my visit to Montreal to see the first of 4 games this week pays off. The Habs win an afternoon game!

Loved the shorty set up so nicely by Kovy

The goal posts were very friendly in the first!

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Killer Carlson

Hey everyone

I didn't read the thread but I did watch the game today and I just wanted to stop by and congratulate you on a solid win today. If we didn't have DP, it would have been a complete slaughtering. The Habs looked great, though...no mistaking that from my POV.

Best of luck until we play you guys again!

Killer

02-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
Don't be an idiot. I'll "flip" a puck into your face and see if you like it.

It is well documented that in the past Markov has not been the most coachble player on the Habs roster, let alone guys like Souray and Rivet often questioned his desire to want to become an elite defender - always had the tools, but lacked some of the motivation and comittment to "be the guy". (Comparable to Kovalev at times in his career; but look at Kovy's year so far - he's answered the bell....)

Am I saying Markov is not valuable to the Habs? Of course not.

He could very well be our best overall player and maybe SHOULD be.

Let's hope this comes to fruition. As good as he is, Gainey and Carbo have always believed he could be one of the best in the league, and have challenged him to do so. Maybe his recent all-star naming, and the current success of the Habs will help Andrei elevate his game from "superb" to "dominant".
What?..Markov didn't lose any teeth from that puck to the face..hell he didnt even bleed or have a scratch for that matter.
You dont have to ''flip'' me a puck to the face, I already received a puck to the face. See, unlike you i actually played hockey.
If he was bleeding and needed stitches than it would be different, but it wasnt the case.
Its like getting highsticked buddy, nobody likes it and it hurts. Doesn't mean you're gonna sit out the rest of the games for it unless you get it in the eye like Koivu or something major like that. It clearly wasn't even close to being something of that magnitude with Markov.

And i don't know where it was ''well documented'' that Markov was tough to coach and did not have the drive to become an elite D. I'd like a source to back up that weak statement.
Markov is in his 7th year, he's been great since lockout, made the All-Star Team this year and he just turned 29 a month ago which curiously is the average ''prime'' age of most players.

Nobody ever expected him to become as good as he's been over the last couple years, his 162th selection at the draft backs that up pretty easily.

In his first years here, the team was beyond horrible and he barely knew how to speak. For some reason, you made up your own assumption about this guy.
He's been our best and most consistant player for the last three years at least.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 09:16 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
the McGuire comments, Hugson comments and now this...

damn! feels good to be a Habs fan nowadays!!!
Don't forget Bob Mckenzie's comments on the Habs superb passing during one of the Boston games on TSN. He said he thinks Montreal is the best passing team, at least in the Eastern Conference.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 09:32 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Don't forget Bob Mckenzie's comments on the Habs superb passing during one of the Boston games on TSN. He said he thinks Montreal is the best passing team, at least in the Eastern Conference.
He said GMs in the East think Montreal is the best passing team in the east, which is an even bigger deal.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 09:37 PM
JustJen

I loved the Koivu line today. I believe in Higgins. His confidence is very low right now and everyone knows that the guy is hard on himself but he works his butt off so it'll happen for him soon. I believe it.

I was at the game and I freaked out when Markov and Higgins went down. That would've been just awful. Thank god they're both alright. I loved seeing Ryder defend Higgins.

It's a shame Huet didn't get his shutout. I don't think he played a particularly outstanding game today but he made the key saves and that's all that really matters.

Looking forward to tomorrow and Tuesdays games...should be interesting.

JustJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 10:16 PM
prairie hab

Quote:
What?..Markov didn't lose any teeth from that puck to the face..hell he didnt even bleed or have a scratch for that matter.
You dont have to ''flip'' me a puck to the face, I already received a puck to the face. See, unlike you i actually played hockey.
If he was bleeding and needed stitches than it would be different, but it wasnt the case.
Its like getting highsticked buddy, nobody likes it and it hurts. Doesn't mean you're gonna sit out the rest of the games for it unless you get it in the eye like Koivu or something major like that. It clearly wasn't even close to being something of that magnitude with Markov.

And i don't know where it was ''well documented'' that Markov was tough to coach and did not have the drive to become an elite D. I'd like a source to back up that weak statement.
Markov is in his 7th year, he's been great since lockout, made the All-Star Team this year and he just turned 29 a month ago which curiously is the average ''prime'' age of most players.

Nobody ever expected him to become as good as he's been over the last couple years, his 162th selection at the draft backs that up pretty easily.

In his first years here, the team was beyond horrible and he barely knew how to speak. For some reason, you made up your own assumption about this guy.
He's been our best and most consistant player for the last three years at least.
I'm glad your sources researched the notion that I've never played hockey.
I like you, have received a stick to the face on occassion. In fact, I have permanent scarring above my upper lip from such incidents. Enough about me.

If the puck to Markov's face was so minor, why did he go down like he got shot? No apparent cuts or bleeding, but I guarantee you tomorrow vs. New York he'll be feeling it. Look for the old "black and blue" - but I guess YOU KNOW WHAT THAT IS LIKE......

Didn't know you were an English professor and were checking sources either. In a post-game RDS presser in November, Carbo verbalized his desire for Markov to step us his game as he and his coaching staff wanted more consistency out of him. THEY CONSIDER HIM THEIR BEST DEFENSEMEN, IF NOT ONE OF THE BEST IN THE EAST, BUT THEY WANTED HIM TO SHOW IT ON A NIGHTLY BASIS. I didn't just pull this out of my azz - who better to evaluate the player than the coaching staff?

Not like you care, or that it matters, but I have been fortunate to have associations both with the families of Lyle Odelein and Sheldon Souray. I've met both on numerous occassions, and being acquaintances with members of their families, you get opportunities to talk hockey with these guys.

Lets just say that they both appreciate Markov for his talent and abilitites, but both feel that he has not yet reached his potential - which could be a good thing - but they've also mentioned that he remained Montreal's best kept secret for too long. When he was younger, it was not always apparent that Markov was willing to pay the price to become one of the NHL's elite defensemen. I'll take these guys' word over any media writer from the various "rags" that formulate hockey opinions nowadays.

I'm glad to see that Markov is being considered as one of the league's premier defenders. He deserves it. But there are reasons why Andrei does not wear the "C" or an "A" for that matter. He doesn't need to in order to be effective as a player, but it does speak to certain intangibles that some guys have or don't have.

I could tell you some great stories about Serge Savard, Mario Tremblay, Craig Rivet, and Pierre Turgeon sometime........

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

The fact that Carbonneau puts in Brisebois at every opportunity despite the number of goals-against Brisebois has been responsible for is prima facie evidence that Carbonneau is partially lobotomized and can't integrate what he's seen from one game to the next. Will people at the Bell Centre flash giant signs during warmups to remind him not to reenact his mental lapses?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 11:35 PM
MathMan

By the by, anyone go see the NHL page on CNNSI? It's not going to stay that way for long I imagine, but the wide-spread and the "Don't Look Now, But Here Come The Habs" headlines were certainly fun to see on an American publication.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 11:45 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

In no way I want to bash Higgins here... But how can you guys tell he's so talented after all the open nets he misses? I mean... if he was such a threat, he would score on all these open netters.

I don't want to bash Higgins here... just want to tell the fans who are waiting for so much out of this player to calm down a little bit and take him for what he is... an honest, hard working player, who definitely misses the talent to be an offensive threat. Expect this player averaging 55-60 pts per season. Stop seeing him as the second coming, to tell he's a **** 2 months later... just try to watch things objectively...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Hey everyone

I didn't read the thread but I did watch the game today and I just wanted to stop by and congratulate you on a solid win today. If we didn't have DP, it would have been a complete slaughtering. The Habs looked great, though...no mistaking that from my POV.

Best of luck until we play you guys again!

Killer
Gotta say a couple of things about Dipeitro:

First, he handles the puck better than ANY other goalie in the league bar none. Absolutely unbelievable.

Secondly, I (like pretty much everyone else around the league) had a real good laugh when he got signed to that 15 year deal. It could still turn out to be a huge mistake of course but man, you gotta like how he's played since signing it. Not only is he the most underrated goalie in the league, he could well be the league's most underrated player period.

Next to Thomas Plekanec of course.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreiMMermlik View Post
In no way I want to bash Higgins here... But how can you guys tell he's so talented after all the open nets he misses? I mean... if he was such a threat, he would score on all these open netters.

I don't want to bash Higgins here... just want to tell the fans who are waiting for so much out of this player to calm down a little bit and take him for what he is... an honest, hard working player, who definitely misses the talent to be an offensive threat. Expect this player averaging 55-60 pts per season.
He's in a slump and I think his confidence is low. Plus Dipietro simply robbed the guy.

He'll snap out of it. You have to let players (esp young guys) work their way through it.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 01:05 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prrebel View Post
I really like the fact that lately the Habs have not been sitting on leads. It's hard for the other team to score if the puck is always in their end.
From what I have learned on the HF board, earlier in the season, the Habs would ignore Carbo's system long enough to get the lead, and then he would insist on playing passively and the lead would be lost.

Thank Timmins the players are now ignoring Carbo 60 minutes per game.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 01:10 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:

Perhaps that terrific leader and proven winner Craig Rivet's opinion influenced Kriss E.

Has anyone yet mentioned how the Habs defence seems much more solid this year since the veterans on the blueline do more playing than talking?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote