HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kyle Mclaren

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2004, 12:53 AM
Bruinaholic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
Kyle Mclaren

How well did he play vs the Blues?
He was hands down my favorite Bruins Dmen while he was there and his hits are 2nd to noone, i noticed he logged a ton of minutes,maybe most in the series vs the Blues? and that hit he put on Cajanek was bone jarring!
Ill bet he gave Tkachuk,Weight,Mellanby and Demitra fits all series, hes too physical for them and not one of them can really out skate him IMO.
Too bad hes still not on the B's! why cant Hall Gil be playing out there instead of K-Mac :mad:

Old
04-16-2004, 12:56 AM
Laperriere22*

He was far and away the best Sharks defenseman. I think he'd give just about anybody but Nabokov a run for their money as the Sharks MVP of that first round series.

Old
04-16-2004, 01:03 AM
Anthony*

i really dont find him to be that well of a skater...

Old
04-16-2004, 01:12 AM
Bruinaholic

Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
i really dont find him to be that well of a skater...
hes no Mike Gartner,but for his size hes a very good skater,my point was usually when a Dmen is too big and rugged then for an opposing teams high scoring forwards, the forwards are often faster then the physcally imposing Dmen(ie Tkachuk/Weigh/Mellanby vs Mclaren)but none of these forwards could dance around Mac,so Mac was too much for these scorers to handlle, hence is why STL couldnt generate alot of good scoring opps and lost the series in 5

Old
04-16-2004, 01:16 AM
jacksheit

Send a message via ICQ to jacksheit Send a message via MSN to jacksheit
I freak'n love him, he's a tough motha hitting machine!

Old
04-16-2004, 01:18 AM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
He was far and away the best Sharks defenseman. I think he'd give just about anybody but Nabokov a run for their money as the Sharks MVP of that first round series.
Don't get me wrong... I may be the biggest McLaren fan around, but I think it's really difficult to pick the best Sharks D-man in the series because everyone did their job.

Hannan was quietly very effective (as always), and let the club in ice-time twice.
Stuart gave them the offensive production they expect, and led the club in ice-time three times (surprising for people who follow the Sharks -- normally it's Hannan or Rathje).
Rathje and McLaren were great against whatever top players they were facing.
Preissing sure doesn't look like a rookie.
Marshall adds that solid #6 banging d-man who can go out and eat up minutes.

While McLaren did have several bone-jarring hits in the series, Mike Rathje also was very physical in this series, and just does his job.

Old
04-16-2004, 01:28 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
Don't get me wrong... I may be the biggest McLaren fan around, but I think it's really difficult to pick the best Sharks D-man in the series because everyone did their job.

Hannan was quietly very effective (as always), and let the club in ice-time twice.
Stuart gave them the offensive production they expect, and led the club in ice-time three times (surprising for people who follow the Sharks -- normally it's Hannan or Rathje).
Rathje and McLaren were great against whatever top players they were facing.
Preissing sure doesn't look like a rookie.
Marshall adds that solid #6 banging d-man who can go out and eat up minutes.

While McLaren did have several bone-jarring hits in the series, Mike Rathje also was very physical in this series, and just does his job.
I didn't find Preissing all that impressive in this series. He looked like more of a rookie than he did during the regular season; same with Backman. Marshall would be questionable on whether he ever has been an NHL caliber defenseman, maybe briefly with the Ducks, but that's about it. Hannan handles a puck like a hand grenade with the pin pulled. McLaren is the only strong two-way defenseman in that group; all the rest play their roles because they have to. McLaren stood out when I watched him and it wasn't because of a couple of big hits. That's the Rob Blake syndrome you're talking about; McLaren was physically intimidating along with doing most everything else you want from a defenseman.

Old
04-16-2004, 02:08 AM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
I didn't find Preissing all that impressive in this series. He looked like more of a rookie than he did during the regular season
I thought he was very composed and played more physical than he did in the regular season. He took his share of big hits and coughed up the puck a few times, but that's the nature of the playoffs. I could say that about every Sharks D-man going back for dump-ins.

While he doesn't carry the puck much, he does have one of the better first passes of the Sharks D-men (with Stuart/McLaren), but the one thing that has been said time and time again to the Sharks D-men is move it quickly so the forwards can trap people deep on the transition.

Quote:
Marshall would be questionable on whether he ever has been an NHL caliber defenseman, maybe briefly with the Ducks, but that's about it.
Personally, I think he's been good as the 6th guy for the Sharks. I don't think many Sharks fans would have a problem with him as a #6, considering budgetary constraints. Obviously, one could put together a better fantasy roster, but Marshall fills his role just fine.

Quote:
Hannan handles a puck like a hand grenade with the pin pulled.
Hannan actually moves the puck fairly accurately when given time. I was surprised that he was selected the first star in Game 5 because I thought he had a couple real bad turnovers (pucks that didn't clear the zone). I wouldn't say it's just Hannan that handles the puck like a hand grenade. When the Sharks have the lead... they just play it off the glass if there isn't a wide open pass, and let the speedy forwards track it down.

If anyone on the Sharks D should be accused of handling the puck like a hand-grenade... it's Rathje.

Quote:
McLaren is the only strong two-way defenseman in that group; all the rest play their roles because they have to. McLaren stood out when I watched him and it wasn't because of a couple of big hits. That's the Rob Blake syndrome you're talking about; McLaren was physically intimidating along with doing most everything else you want from a defenseman.
You're right in that McLaren probably has the best mix of all the attributes one would want in a d-man, but I just don't think he was far and away the best in this series, as you stated.

Old
04-16-2004, 06:50 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

Rathje was easily the best Shark d-man in the series.

Old
04-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
You're right in that McLaren probably has the best mix of all the attributes one would want in a d-man, but I just don't think he was far and away the best in this series, as you stated.
Ima have to disagree with both of you here and point out that Stuart has the best blend of talent and toughness out of the Sharks group (and one of the best out of the new wave of defensemen) and had the best series from the Sharks D. Like Mage said, all of em did their jobs well (Rathje is the man) but Stuart was scoring and hitting (none as memorable as McLaren's granted) with the best of em. He really stood out at me this series along with Korky. I couldnt help but take notice cuz they both were always doin something positive out on the ice.

04-16-2004, 01:23 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM
Rathje was easily the best Shark d-man in the series.
Wild, I don't know if I've ever disagreed with anything you've posted before, but if you think Rat was the best D-man for the sharks against the note, then you're absolutely, correct. Hey, that didn't end the way I thought it would . Rathje has really impressed me so far--He plays his arse off for sharks fans and gets little back from the fans (discounting criticism of course).

Of course everyone has different criteria for evaluating D-men so there will be a difference in opinion. I think cases can be made for, Stuart, Hannan, Mclaren, Rathje and even Marshall to a slightly lessor extent.

Back to McLaren. When the sharks 1st picked him up I was ecstatic. Then he seemed slow and out of condition (from holdout), I was a bit disappointed. He slowly, but steadily, started to pick up his game this year. I didn't realize that he progressed back to the Mclaren I was stoked about getting until he was out and the sharks went on a mini losing streak. Now after the 1st series is over, I am more happy that he is a shark than I was when we 1st got him. He has been nothing short of Phenomenal.

Closed Thread