HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

am I the only one who hates offsides?

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Funkymoses

vCash: 500
am I the only one who hates offsides?

I came to this conclusion a few weeks ago: I hate offsides. I hate it with a burning fiery passion. All it does is slow down the game. It lets the trap set up with a specific goal in mind. It's responsible for 6-12 whistles a game where someone is a half inch offside, 6-12 whistles that inevitably blow down interesting and entertaining rushes. It allows pressured teams to relieve that pressure artificially by getting the puck into the neutral zone.

Get rid of it. Seriously! It's not like there would be more cherry picking. Cherry pickers don't seriously exist in today's game. Everyone has to play D.

I'm crazy. I know. It's crazy. Tell me why.

Old
04-16-2004, 10:14 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymoses
I came to this conclusion a few weeks ago: I hate offsides. I hate it with a burning fiery passion. All it does is slow down the game. It lets the trap set up with a specific goal in mind. It's responsible for 6-12 whistles a game where someone is a half inch offside, 6-12 whistles that inevitably blow down interesting and entertaining rushes. It allows pressured teams to relieve that pressure artificially by getting the puck into the neutral zone.

Get rid of it. Seriously! It's not like there would be more cherry picking. Cherry pickers don't seriously exist in today's game. Everyone has to play D.

I'm crazy. I know. It's crazy. Tell me why.
You are crazy . Think of traveling or double dribble in basketball. Offside is the same kind of rule; the sport would be kinda silly without it.

Old
04-16-2004, 10:16 AM
SerbianEagle

I think the linesmen should first learn the rule properly. Most of them don't know it. I've seen Oilers get called for a offside one night, then the same play isn't whistled down the next game.

Old
04-16-2004, 10:33 AM
kyle

come some one explain to why sometimes the offside team gets a chance to clear the zone and other times they dont??? it seems random but I might be missing soemthing.

Old
04-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Hopefully they at least go back to the tag-up rule as proposed. I agree, though. I'm not sure how well it would work to get rid of them altogether, but they really do slow things down.

Old
04-16-2004, 11:54 AM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Kinda funny considering my first game of roller hockey is tonight...There is no offsides or 2 line passes or icing, compleatley different hockey game. Offside is needed in the game, otherwise there would be too much cherry picking.

Old
04-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
this "old" off-side rule the nhl is using now, indeed sucks and slows down the flow of the game

what other major leagues in the world use this rule probably next to none

baka nhl (some might get it lol)

Last edited by Vyse64: 04-16-2004 at 12:17 PM.
Old
04-16-2004, 12:27 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Other variations would cause teams to lay back and have players in every zone, which is a ton worse than what we've got today.

Old
04-16-2004, 12:44 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
nhl baka (some might get it lol)
:lol

I think offsides is a good rule...but I think some linesmen are a little too picky about it. But anyways, without the rule, we'll just have a forward park themselves in the opposition's zone all the time.

Old
04-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
:lol

I think offsides is a good rule...but I think some linesmen are a little too picky about it. But anyways, without the rule, we'll just have a forward park themselves in the opposition's zone all the time.

Yeah, but if a forward is in the opposition's end all the time, there is effectively a 5 on 4 powerplay. I doubt any coach would allow the other team to have a powerplay everytime they got the puck in his teams end. There might be some stategies where a player might stay a little higher in theie own zone and even be into the neutral zone for a quick outlet pass, but I think it might end up with more end to end rushes, etc...

Try it in theAHL preseason. If it works, try it in the AHL regular season for another 20 games and see how things work. I doubt it would happen though.

T

Old
04-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
Yeah, but if a forward is in the opposition's end all the time, there is effectively a 5 on 4 powerplay. I doubt any coach would allow the other team to have a powerplay everytime they got the puck in his teams end. There might be some stategies where a player might stay a little higher in theie own zone and even be into the neutral zone for a quick outlet pass, but I think it might end up with more end to end rushes, etc...

Try it in theAHL preseason. If it works, try it in the AHL regular season for another 20 games and see how things work. I doubt it would happen though.

T
I started to make a reply post saying just how god awful the idea was... and I still don't like it, but if there was no offside, there would definetly be more strategy put into game plans. Do you use a cherry picker and trap, then just try and ice it knowing he'll get there first? Do you hold a man back if they cherry pick? I could go on with differant scenarios as you could have certain teams meet that have to adapt their strategy's to match up, but I won't bother. Bottom line is it could be a more strategic game without offsides and it could open things up at the same time, but my biggest beef would be less of a team game IMO. To much would be depended on 1 on 1 play I think if there was no offside's. Could be interesting what some of the top players could do with it. All in all, I don't want it in the NHL, could be interesting to see in the A though, but wouldn't make much sense to use it there without intentions of using it in NHL.

Old
04-16-2004, 04:03 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Two words:

Tag Up!

Closed Thread