HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Geoff Ward & K Lowe on TEAM 1260

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Brynster

vCash: 500
Geoff Ward & K Lowe on TEAM 1260

FYI

Geoff Ward will be on the morning show at 7:05am Friday...
and K-Lowe will join the guys on Total Sports in the afternoon around 5:05pm on Friday.

Also more on the pending sale and move of the St Albert Saints to Spruce Grove. The sale is expect to be completed by Friday afternoon with League approval coming over the weekend. No doubt the St. Albert City Council will ignore this announcement the same way they've ignored the franchise the past 3 years. Oh well, St. Albert's loss is Spruce Grove's gain.

You're up to date.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Lowetide

Weren't the St. Albert Saints once the Spruce Grove Mets or have I mixed that up? Anyway, damn shame for out town, good for Spruce Grove. No complaints, though, that barn the Saints are playing in is nowhere close to good enough anymore.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:35 PM
Brynster

Yes

It's a return to their roots I guess.... but it must have killed the Saints management to do this. BUT, with little or no help from the City of St. Albert, what were they supposed to do???

Still hard for me to believe that a city the size of St. Albert can't find the cash to actually build a rink that seats 4-5 thousand... gee... Red Deer (same size) got it done. For a city that boasts so much about their quality of life, this is surely a black eye.

Old
04-15-2004, 10:53 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
So the Saints will play out of the new complex in Spruce Grove??

That's like Mileneium Place in Sherwood Park, how many people can they put there to watch? I don't think it's 5000 either.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Brynster

Guy...

Doesn't matter... it's got to be better than the old barn in St Albert.
It's just embarassing that a small community like Spruce Grove can out-do the upscale berg of St Albert.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Slats432

Thanks for the update Bryn, you guys have a strong following in this town. Keep up the great work.

Old
04-16-2004, 09:41 AM
Mr Sakich

for those of us who don't live in Edmonton, what did Jeff Ward say? Hey Bryn, have you guys ever thougth of getting an internet feed?

Old
04-16-2004, 10:00 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
So the Saints will play out of the new complex in Spruce Grove??

That's like Mileneium Place in Sherwood Park, how many people can they put there to watch? I don't think it's 5000 either.

I believe the Spruce Grove arena (Grant Fuhr Sportplex...or something) seats 1200.

Atleast that was what the news was reporting last night.

Old
04-16-2004, 10:07 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
for those of us who don't live in Edmonton, what did Jeff Ward say?

The couple things that jumped out at me;

Rita has been their bestplayer down the stretch

JJ Hunter has done everything and more than they have asked of him and since he has returned from ECHL he has been used at every forward position, PK and PP.

Lowe was in Ohio for the the game last night, will go to Quebec to watch Deslauriers (it may have been Howson going to Quebec, I was downtown and was experiencing static on the AM dial when talking about this part) game tonight then back for the Road Runners game tomorrow.

Old
04-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

I'm told that Prendergast isn't coming back from belarus until Sunday but it would make sense that Howson would go East too, he is the GM for the Roadrunners.

Old
04-16-2004, 12:29 PM
barto

Quote:
for those of us who don't live in Edmonton, what did Jeff Ward say? Hey Bryn, have you guys ever thougth of getting an internet feed?
*duck*

Mr. Sakich, I think Bryn & the rest of the TEAMsters (!?) get asked that several times a day. The reply (more exasperated each time) is that they're still a pretty new radio station and it takes time for such things - not their priority at the moment, but they want to get that going for sure down the road.

Bryn, did I do good?? Did I? Huh???

Bart

Old
04-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
*duck*

Mr. Sakich, I think Bryn & the rest of the TEAMsters (!?) get asked that several times a day. The reply (more exasperated each time) is that they're still a pretty new radio station and it takes time for such things - not their priority at the moment, but they want to get that going for sure down the road.

Bryn, did I do good?? Did I? Huh???

Bart
really?? I hadn't seen that question asked before. I will do an archive search to see if anyone has posed this question to Bryn. Maybe GuyF can recall if anyone has ever asked this question before as he seems to be pretty tight with Bryn.

Old
04-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Slats432

Quote:
really?? I hadn't seen that question asked before. I will do an archive search to see if anyone has posed this question to Bryn. Maybe GuyF can recall if anyone has ever asked this question before as he seems to be pretty tight with Bryn.
I have seen it asked at least three or four times. But for those of us that spend more time than others, stuff gets easily missed. No worries Mr Sakich.

Old
04-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:

lol, my spider sense is telling me that someone nearby is being a smart ass!

Old
04-16-2004, 02:13 PM
Mr Sakich

guy, what do you have against Slats? he has been a total gentleman towards you and this is the way you treat him?? I am a little disappointed.

Old
04-16-2004, 02:15 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
lol, my spider sense is telling me that someone nearby is being a smart ass!

Yeah, I think I got 'burned'... But with no little 'smileys' how does a person know for sure???

Where did Bryn go???

Bartster

Old
04-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
guy, what do you have against Slats? he has been a total gentleman towards you and this is the way you treat him?? I am a little disappointed.

OK, here I was going to let you buy me a beer next week when I'm in Cowgary but now you're going to have to buy me two!

I don't have your number anymore though bud... you should PM it to me again.

Old
04-16-2004, 02:33 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

An alternative to a live internet feed might be to record each show as a low-quality mp3 or wma file and put it on the website so that people can download it.

Old
04-16-2004, 03:07 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
An alternative to a live internet feed might be to record each show as a low-quality mp3 or wma file and put it on the website so that people can download it.
Yeah, I've mentioned that idea in another couple of threads, too. 930 CJCA used to do that with John Short's program there - you could download/listen to archives of his shows to catch interviews & such. Definitely a lot better than nothing, and should be a LOT simpler to set up and maintain. Just do it for one show first - maybe the morning show or Stauffer/Spec's show - and work out the kinks, streamline the procedure, then expand to other shows. Doesn't seem that bad of a way to start, at least...

Bart

Old
04-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Brynster

Hey Kids.....

Yes. It's been asked a million times.

Here's the deal. It's a political football right now for us.
We're working our way through the corporate issues and we hope to have some definitive direction set soon.

However with all the new shows coming on board, the InterNet issue has been kept off the front burner. It had to be. We needed to focus on the radio biz first... that's the biz we're in. But, things have finally settled down and now it's time to address the website issue.

There are some technical problems too I might add. We are NOT allowed to re-broadcast in any manner Jim Rome or ESPN programming via the InterNet. It's not just throwing a switch to make it all happen. We have to assure the Rome and ESPN folks that their feed will 100% NOT get on our site. That's the tough part since those shows are weaved throughout our local programming. It's very tricky technically.

IF we get this done, the website will be extremely basic with Streaming Audio and some Achive capabilities. The goal is to drive people to the radio station and not have them get all their information via the station's website. If you're getting the scores off our site, then why would anyone listen to the radio station?? Our advertisers want radio listeners first and those advertisers pay the freight.

That's it for now.
You may not like it, you may not agree with it, you may not understand it, but that's where we're at right now.

Old
04-16-2004, 04:24 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
If it's any consolation, Rome's an idiot anyways, so I won't be listening even if he does accidently end up on an internet feed

Old
04-16-2004, 05:19 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
If it's any consolation, Rome's an idiot anyways, so I won't be listening even if he does accidently end up on an internet feed
Heh.

Bryn, thanks for the update! Is there any thought to just starting with archives of shows for people to catch later who missed them? In many ways it's increasing your listenership for those shows, and you could leave in all the ads and everything to give your advertisers a better bang for the buck.

I understand there are many issues with the live feed idea, although I doubt anyone would be upset at all if you started with just your local shows and maybe provided a link to Rome's website for their live feed (if they have one) and so on.

And there are plenty of web sites to get sports scores and such, so that wouldn't be any big deal either. So I like that approach of keeping the web site simple and offering the streaming audio and archives - I don't think anyone here would have a problem with that.

What would be the biggest obstacle to starting with archives of the local shows (or just ONE local show at first) soon? I mean that as a sincere question, not trying to be snipey or anything - I'd like to see it happen sooner, so if there was something potential listeners like me could do to help speed up the process, that would be great to know! Is the biggest obstacle political, in your opinion?

Bart

Closed Thread