HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

GDT: Predators @ Red Wings l Gm.5 l Wings 4-1 l Wings Lead 3-2

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2004, 01:36 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
``If we try to play a skill game, they're going to beat us 10 out of 10 times,'' Vokoun said.

okay...?

Doesn't really show alot of faith with a statement like that ;o

Old
04-16-2004, 01:46 AM
Coffey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
Well, The Detroit Red Wings have Woke up

Datsyuk Hull and Zet 5 points

2-0 Detroit, Zett [dats, lidstrom] and then Hull [Dats, Zet]

3:03 Apart

Vokoun Needs to keep going to the media and trashing Detroit, hes giving them enough Chalkboard material to make up 3 series.
Just curious, what articles did Vokoun say those things? I have read some from the Detroit News and I haven't heard anything like that.

I certainly don't know why a player would do that. That would be lack of class plus you could fire up the other team.

Old
04-16-2004, 02:27 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
Just curious, what articles did Vokoun say those things? I have read some from the Detroit News and I haven't heard anything like that.

I certainly don't know why a player would do that. That would be lack of class plus you could fire up the other team.
Vokoun came out after Game 2 I believe? I dont know exactly when. But he called the Wings "arrogant" and said they were a bunch of "whiners".

I forget the exact quote, but I know he basically called them "arrogant whiners".

Old
04-16-2004, 03:04 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

It was in response to Schnieder, I believe saying the Preds were diving. Vokoun said he's getting tired of the Wings players arguing and whinning after ever call.

Old
04-16-2004, 10:22 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
It was in response to Schnieder, I believe saying the Preds were diving. Vokoun said he's getting tired of the Wings players arguing and whinning after ever call.
“I’m sure after those two games in Detroit, they thought this would be an easy series,” Nashville goaltender Tomas Vokoun said. “Now it’s 2-2. There’s no reason for them to be arrogant now.”

“They say we’re diving and going down, and they do the same things, especially their European players,” Vokoun said.

A few others, including one where he said, after his shut out, every shot he sees he will stop. Which is why I kept asking if he saw the shots he couldnt stop.

I cant find the article, i shoulda book marked them. There were 2-3 comments he made after game 4 which I just knew would come back to haunt him. You have to question why Trotz would allow his players goto the media and give Detroit soooooo much chalk board material. They were riding a high, good for them, but thier inexperience showed. You NEVER give a team will.

Similar to when St. Louis players said they were glad they werent facing Detroit in the First round. IM sure that just made San Jose thrilled to know they were looked at as lesser opponents.

Old
04-16-2004, 11:43 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

any decent goalie worth his salt should be able to stop 99% of the shots he sees. I fail to see what is arrogant about that.
What about the Detroit players saying they were facing an 'inferior' team? I knew I should have bookmarked that..

Old
04-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrocketman
any decent goalie worth his salt should be able to stop 99% of the shots he sees. I fail to see what is arrogant about that.
What about the Detroit players saying they were facing an 'inferior' team? I knew I should have bookmarked that..
Nobody is calling Vokoun arrogant. They are questioning why he would say that in the media?

And believe it or not...the perception in this series is that the Preds are, in fact, inferior. There is nothing arrogant about mentioning that. One team is the 8 seed, the other is the 1 seed. There is about a 20 point difference in regular season stats. The payrolls are much different. The Wings have TONS more playoff experience.

So, despite the fact that the Preds have impressed alot of people thus far, they are IN FACT percieved to be an "inferior" team to the Red Wings. There's no arrogance in admitting that.

Most people would tell you that the Wings are the better team. Whether or not they win is a whole different story. But the Wings are considered to be the better team in this series. So again...I dont see why that means people are arrogant to feel that way?

Old
04-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
“They say we’re diving and going down, and they do the same things, especially their European players,” Vokoun said.
Someone should call Vokoun out bigtime on that one. If anyone on the Wings have been diving, it's been Shanahan, Maltby, Chelios, etc. Holmstrom is maybe the only one who would fit his characterization and he's been a lot tamer than usual. I guess Zetterberg getting knocked down, getting back up, and fighting off two Preds to bring the puck out of the corner is "diving and going down" to Vokoun...

Old
04-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Someone should call Vokoun out bigtime on that one. If anyone on the Wings have been diving, it's been Shanahan, Maltby, Chelios, etc. Holmstrom is maybe the only one who would fit his characterization and he's been a lot tamer than usual. I guess Zetterberg getting knocked down, getting back up, and fighting off two Preds to bring the puck out of the corner is "diving and going down" to Vokoun...

No kidding. Shanahan has been the biggest diver on either team. He is really on my nerves this playoff year.

Old
04-16-2004, 12:28 PM
MotownMadman

Just wanted to say I'm glad the milk cartons worked and someone found the missing Wings. This was the kind of effort and skill that I expected to see all series long. We're not out of the woods yet, but last night was a step in the right direction.

KEEP IT UP WINGS!!!

Old
04-16-2004, 01:22 PM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

I can't wait for satudays game. I still expect this thing to go to a 7th game. I am extremely fired up about the way this series has gone. The wings put it all together last night but I think the Preds will be able to rebound from a 3 goal loss the same way the Wings did.

GO PREDS!!!!!!!!

Old
04-16-2004, 01:53 PM
X8oD

im predicting 4-2 wings.

wings go up 2-1 going into the third. Wings score early 3-1, Preds score with 5 mins left 3-2. And Whitney Scores an ENer, making all the homer wings fans say "SEE HE CAN SCORE"

Old
04-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Two things that defined this series:

1) The weak ass call on Scott Hartnell hitting Chris Chelios into next year, and yes he knocked him down, also popped his helmet off, but got called for a penalty, go figure, which lead to the GWG by Holmstrom in game 2

2) Tomas Vokoun apparently showing his ass after game 4, which woke up the Red Wings.

Old
04-16-2004, 03:16 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
im predicting 4-2 wings.

wings go up 2-1 going into the third. Wings score early 3-1, Preds score with 5 mins left 3-2. And Whitney Scores an ENer, making all the homer wings fans say "SEE HE CAN SCORE"
I say 2-1 Wings, no goals from Whitney though, that man couldn't hit the broad side of a barn to save his life right now.

Old
04-16-2004, 03:56 PM
MotownMadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
Two things that defined this series:

1) The weak ass call on Scott Hartnell hitting Chris Chelios into next year, and yes he knocked him down, also popped his helmet off, but got called for a penalty, go figure, which lead to the GWG by Holmstrom in game 2

2) Tomas Vokoun apparently showing his ass after game 4, which woke up the Red Wings.
The missed penalty shot by Sullivan was a big moment too. However, the series isn't over, so what constitutes a defining moment may need to wait.

GO WINGS!!!

Old
04-16-2004, 03:58 PM
X8oD

http://members.buckeye-express.com/R...WingsGoals.mpg

wings 4 goals. and the 2 bloody brilliant passes by Pavel Datsyuk to set up the first 2 goals.

Old
04-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Vokoun can say what he wants, and everyone on our team knows when play the "skill" game (i.e. behind the back passes, dekes galore, 1 on 3 rushes, etc) that we won't win. Our game is rough and tough, take the other team off its game by making them do things they don't want. We have talent, but not 5 Hall of Famers type talent. When we get away from that, and play "skill" game, we lose, and sometimes one of our guys needs to make a reminder for everyone else to step up and get it right.

Old
04-16-2004, 05:40 PM
MotownMadman

Quote:
http://members.buckeye-express.com/R...WingsGoals.mpg

wings 4 goals. and the 2 bloody brilliant passes by Pavel Datsyuk to set up the first 2 goals.
Thanks for the video. I didn't realize that Pasha's pass to Zetterburg was between his legs!

Old
04-16-2004, 06:26 PM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Nobody is calling Vokoun arrogant. They are questioning why he would say that in the media?

And believe it or not...the perception in this series is that the Preds are, in fact, inferior. There is nothing arrogant about mentioning that. One team is the 8 seed, the other is the 1 seed. There is about a 20 point difference in regular season stats. The payrolls are much different. The Wings have TONS more playoff experience.

So, despite the fact that the Preds have impressed alot of people thus far, they are IN FACT percieved to be an "inferior" team to the Red Wings. There's no arrogance in admitting that.

Most people would tell you that the Wings are the better team. Whether or not they win is a whole different story. But the Wings are considered to be the better team in this series. So again...I dont see why that means people are arrogant to feel that way?
Yeah, how could you be perceived as arrogant when you call the other team "inferior." :sarcasm

Closed Thread