HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What players on this team have trade value?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2008, 01:30 PM
  #1
Ar-too
Registered User
 
Ar-too's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 10,349
vCash: 1000
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
What players on this team have trade value?

We seem to be talking alot about who we 'd like to trade, trading one of our stars, etc.

I'd like to travel down a different path in this thread and talk about who has value. For instance, people seem to like the idea of trading David Vyborny. But, I'd argue, that he has no value at this stage, and that unless we're going to buy him out and pluck someone better off a good-hockey player tree somewhere, he's going to keep playing for us, whether we like it or not.

Who has value at this stage and what sort of value do they have?

My list:

Top-level guys (guys who could get us a significant return of roster players AND high picks/good prospects):
Nash
Zherdev
Leclaire
Brassard

Mid-level guys (guys who could get us a roster player and/or a 2nd/3rd/4th round pick and/or a solid prospect):
Foote
Hainsey
Feds
Modin
Brule
Klesla
Peca

Low-level guys (guys who could get us a lower pick and/or a shaky prospect):
Malhotra
Chimera
Fritsche

I think the rest of our roster falls into the realm of filler. Guys that maybe a specific coach really likes or liked at one point, or fits well into an organization they've been a part of in the past or guys that don't fit here and are playing so badly nobody would really want them.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 01:34 PM
  #2
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,062
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
The Rangers would probably be the only team to want Vyborny, they already have litte Czech Republic over there. But we could probably only get Petr Prucha for him, who's having a terrible year.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 01:50 PM
  #3
pipe dreams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
very good point we don't have anyone trade worthy( that we want to get rid of ) in my opinion.
maybe Feds if he was healthy.
your top level guys are probably not going to be traded. That actually might be the move to make but I doubt they would have the guts to do it. trade # 2 superstars for # 4 great players. I would hope this would not happen but you could strengthen the team by doing this.


so when you look at that it is frustrating that we don't, won't, can't be a bigger player in FA market.
this has been going on for 7 years and until this organization decides it is willing to spend big money and finds players with any talent that actually want to play here for the money they are worth they have some serious problems.
hopefully we can make some trades with someone that has to dump payroll.
I don't see how we can be sellers we would have to pay a team to take a bunch of our guys.

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 01:53 PM
  #4
pipe dreams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
your list pretty much sums it up

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 01:58 PM
  #5
OnYourIgnoreList
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,258
vCash: 500
My hope with regards to Vyborny is that there's a perception that it's not a player issue so much as system issue. He could definitely command a second rounder or similar prospect if that's the case.

I think he could really help out the Hurricanes as a two-way player with scoring prowess, maybe the Canadiens or Bruins if they're looking to pick somebody up. I have a hard time thinking of anybody in the West that he'd really serve well as a playoff rental.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 01:58 PM
  #6
CBJFan#1
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe dreams View Post
I don't see how we can be sellers we would have to pay a team to take a bunch of our guys.
What is this, say stupid things day?

I am beginning to remember why i only come here occasionally.

our "filler guys" are mostly prospect types at this point. The only one who is an overager is Murray, and he's played decent and is cheap, so moving him is stupid.

Ar-Too - I think your opinions of everyone below the top 4 are severely diminished. If you think a healthy feds wont net a lot as a trade deadline deal, youre crazy. Same with Foote. Malhotra may be surprisingly valuable with his faceoff percentage and PK skills.

CBJFan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 02:06 PM
  #7
pipe dreams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan#1 View Post
What is this, say stupid things day?

I am beginning to remember why i only come here occasionally.

our "filler guys" are mostly prospect types at this point. The only one who is an overager is Murray, and he's played decent and is cheap, so moving him is stupid.

Ar-Too - I think your opinions of everyone below the top 4 are severely diminished. If you think a healthy feds wont net a lot as a trade deadline deal, youre crazy. Same with Foote. Malhotra may be surprisingly valuable with his faceoff percentage and PK skills.
thanks for calling my opinion stupid.
some of our guys that are overpaid with more time left on contract would be very hard to trade.

I don't like to mention players names as berating players does nothing to help the team.
bottom line we have "some " players" that are " not" tradeable
end of story

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 02:10 PM
  #8
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Realistically? I'm not going to put the top level guys you have on the list because its unlikely they'd be traded as a deadline deal. Could happen, but I highly doubt it.

Foote has the highest value. For the same reason Rob Blake is so highly sought after, Foote will be sought after. And with Blake injured, Foote's value just went up.

Fedorov has value as well because he's a good enough performer and, more importantly, because of his playoff experience. That's something all 4 of my "top tier" guys have. Good at both ends of the ice.

Modin (if healthy). If Modin wasn't laid up right now, he'd be building his case to get the same sort of value that was offered for him last year. The only thing that makes him a tougher sell now is a longer contract.

Peca is the lowest value of the top tier, but he's still a known playoff performer. For a team looking for a checking line center and a PK guy, he's an excellent addition. If you saw how important Pahlsson was to the Ducks, Peca can do the same thing.

Next Tier:

Hainsey, Klesla, Malhotra, Chimera, Vyborny. All good role players, but no playoff track record.

Fourth Tier: Brule, Fritsche, OKT, Prospects. Their regular season value is still uknown and they have zero playoff experience. Unless they are added onto a deal (particularly a deal where the Jackets are the "buyer"), its unlikely you see them traded at the deadline.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 02:10 PM
  #9
Nordique
I ain't even mad
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,318
vCash: 500
When Glencross gets us a puck moving Dman, I'd argue everyone has some trade value. Its finding the right trade partner that is tricky.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 02:20 PM
  #10
Imjustabill
 
Imjustabill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: up on Capitol Hill
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Realistically? I'm not going to put the top level guys you have on the list because its unlikely they'd be traded as a deadline deal. Could happen, but I highly doubt it.

Foote has the highest value. For the same reason Rob Blake is so highly sought after, Foote will be sought after. And with Blake injured, Foote's value just went up.

Fedorov has value as well because he's a good enough performer and, more importantly, because of his playoff experience. That's something all 4 of my "top tier" guys have. Good at both ends of the ice.

Modin (if healthy). If Modin wasn't laid up right now, he'd be building his case to get the same sort of value that was offered for him last year. The only thing that makes him a tougher sell now is a longer contract.

Peca is the lowest value of the top tier, but he's still a known playoff performer. For a team looking for a checking line center and a PK guy, he's an excellent addition. If you saw how important Pahlsson was to the Ducks, Peca can do the same thing.
I think the Capn has it nailed down pretty good here; I'd switch Modin and Peca only because of Modin's health situation and contract (in that order). Foote in particular would fetch a nice return if the Jackets end up having a trade deadline garage sale.

Imjustabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 08:16 PM
  #11
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe dreams View Post
thanks for calling my opinion stupid.
some of our guys that are overpaid with more time left on contract would be very hard to trade.

I don't like to mention players names as berating players does nothing to help the team.
bottom line we have "some " players" that are " not" tradeable
end of story
Peca, Foote, Vyborny, Hainsey and Fedorov's contracts all end at the end of the season. Contract length isn't an issue for the Jackets at all.

Duvie and maybe Manny are the only two guys I could see the organization wanting to get rid of that have contracts extending beyond this year.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.