HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

GDT: Blues @ Sharks l Gm.5 l Sharks win Series 4-1

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2004, 01:26 AM
corbanSOG
Registered Loser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Stankonia
When I saw Baron get called for hooking in the 1st period bringing down the charging Guppy (I think it was Thornton) who was racing in on a breakaway I questioned it even then. The hooking itself gave Baron position on the player, but I didn't see the refs hand go up until after the Shark was sent flying to the ice in what I thought was a very legal takedown.
thornton didn't even play tonight. it was dimitrakos on the breakaway and it looked like a penalty to me.

Old
04-16-2004, 01:43 AM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbanSOG
thornton didn't even play tonight. it was dimitrakos on the breakaway and it looked like a penalty to me.
Thanks for the clarification; it must have been the image of Thornton in Game 4 that made me burn with hatred.

It wasn't the fact that it was called a penalty that irked me, it was that:

(a) There were much clearer infractions that weren't called at other times during the series

(b) The penalty call wasn't made until after Dimitrakos was put down (again, this is what I saw, but the game tapes may show something else)

AND

(c) A clear interference call wasn't made down the ice before the second SJ goal

But what do I know, I was cheering for the undisciplined morons. . .

Old
04-16-2004, 04:47 AM
Coffey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Look at the age of the Leaf's core and the Wings core. Top players typically don't "go downhill" nearly as fast as suggested by a lot of people on HF. Its simply myth.

That said, I would not be surprised to see St. Louis try to move a couple of expensive core players. Not sure they have or wish to expend the additional resouce$ required to augment the current bunch (as they already have a high payroll). And the current roster may have reached it zenith.

Dismantle? No.

Change? Yes.
True, they aren't ancient but the Expensive Blues core (Pronger, Tkachuk, Weight, Demitra) has cost a lot of money and not a lot to show for it. They also don't have a ton of depth.

So perhaps they could move some of those guys and rebuild. They have been together for a while, so maybe it's time for a change.

Old
04-16-2004, 06:47 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
And with the Sharks closing out the series, I'd like to present tonight's SNOG goin to the new jack...

Limey FK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey FK
3-1 Sharks. Goals from Korky, Marleau and Stuart / Weight. Nabokov 37 saves. Osgood 23.
Congrats on yer first SNOG!

Note: Unfortunately, due to many lameness (mostly no images allowed) I cannot post the SNOG since it is already attached in a closed thread...boy this is great :mad:

04-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Look at the age of the Leaf's core and the Wings core. Top players typically don't "go downhill" nearly as fast as suggested by a lot of people on HF. Its simply myth.

That said, I would not be surprised to see St. Louis try to move a couple of expensive core players. Not sure they have or wish to expend the additional resouce$ required to augment the current bunch (as they already have a high payroll). And the current roster may have reached it zenith.

Dismantle? No.

Change? Yes.
Agreed. They have a good core to continue to build around. They just need to swap around a few pieces and re-strengthen the blueline (where I'm not sure they ever recovered from losing MacInnis). Wouldn't be surprised to see them go after Schneider in the off season. Anyway, they still had a decent season considering the injuries and what not and there's no reason to entirely dismantle the team.

Old
04-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by *midnitehockey
That was sweet!!!

Great work by Goc and Smith for the game winner!!

That's good news from Wilson that Thorty and McCauley will be back in soon... I was concerned about Thorty coming back at all...
Thorty was on the ice during the warm-up skate right before the game. The way he was skating and shooting out there was very promising--He didn't look injured even in the least bit. McCauley didn't participate in the warm-up though. With GOC playing the way he did last night, I just hope that management doesn't take any chance on bringing back McCauley too soon.

Old
04-16-2004, 04:52 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbanSOG
i thought it was kind of a marginal call, but not terrible. besides, st. louis killed the ensuing penalty, right?

Old
04-16-2004, 05:31 PM
lux_interior

I'm sure the Blues are really glad now that they didn't play the Red Wings.

Old
04-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior

Old
04-16-2004, 07:48 PM
rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior
if they had played the wings they would have been swept.

Old
04-16-2004, 08:00 PM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev
if they had played the wings they would have been swept.
The only difference is 60 minutes of play, two long plane flights, and an extra home-game of revenue for the Sharks (which I'm sure they thank the Blues for).

Closed Thread