HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tape Question

Old
02-05-2008, 12:59 PM
FiveHole23

vCash: 500
Tape Question

Something I noticed this year that I havn't years passed is players only taping the toe of their blade.

I was wondering the purpose behind this. The player im thinking of is Jared Boll. Does he does this because it puts more spin/torque or whatever on his wrist shot or is it more of a puck handling thing

Do any of you do this and what does it help you with?

I have noticed other players only taping the toe but hes the only one that comes to mind.

Image off Yahoo.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Heat McManus

I'm not sure about pros, but a lot of guys tape it there because the comp blades chip and taping the toe adds some life to the stick. Once water gets in there it eats away at the foam on the inside.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
I'm not sure about pros, but a lot of guys tape it there because the comp blades chip and taping the toe adds some life to the stick. Once water gets in there it eats away at the foam on the inside.
Yeah, that happened to me a few times. I ruined a great stick like that a few years ago.

Corey Perry does it too.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 02:06 PM
FiveHole23

Doesnt the teams pick up the tab on the sticks?
I would think the pros wouldnt care if their stick got chipped or whatever because they just grab another out of the stick room.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 02:48 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
I would think the pros wouldnt care if their stick got chipped or whatever because they just grab another out of the stick room.
Not all sticks (even the same kind) are made equal. Some just feel better, and when you get those sticks, you like to hang on to them. Also, a lot of players are highly superstitious - you get on a scoring streak and chances are they want to keep using the same stick.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Teams pay for sticks. I was referring more to average guys.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Crosbyfan

You would think the league was paying for them with all the slashing calls just because they break. Sometimes it seems like you can more easily get away with a slash to the back of someones head!

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
it can also depend on where you handle the puck on your stick and gives more control to snap shots off of your toe. Oh and some good ol' candle wax will help stop water

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 07:16 PM
hockeyfreak95*

Send a message via AIM to hockeyfreak95*
tape the toe;it protects the tip of your blade and with white tape i think you see the puck better

hockeyfreak95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 09:44 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Pros have an equipment budget each year...they do try to recoup some of that through the sale of leftover items at the end of the season.

And the tape on the blade does give more spin on the shot..and the main reason for toe taping like that is that is where you want to handle the puck. You want to be stick handling from maybe the mid to toe area, and further back you might risk it roll off the heel too.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 10:33 PM
stickglovesshirt*

kovy, walz, demitra and perron (whos gear setup mimics kovys) are some others that like to only tape the toe

stickglovesshirt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 01:46 PM
94now

Quote:
Something I noticed this year that I havn't years passed is players only taping the toe of their blade.

I was wondering the purpose behind this. The player im thinking of is Jared Boll. Does he does this because it puts more spin/torque or whatever on his wrist shot or is it more of a puck handling thing

Do any of you do this and what does it help you with?

I have noticed other players only taping the toe but hes the only one that comes to mind.

Image off Yahoo.
For wooden sticks the purpose of taping is dual: to protect the blade from moisture (primary) and to create the better puck rotation while shooting or passing (secondary). For composite sticks moisture is not the issue. However, the glass like blade surface makes getting any grip on the puck difficult. Plus, many believe that wood puck handling feel that is lost with composite stick could be somewhat restored by applying the tape. I know people that use two tape layers to make for that softer feel. Those who do not care abot it tape just a toe because toe is usually off the ice when shot is made and tape on it does not slow down your wrist shot release as much (any tape esp. electric one would slow your release more or less). If your weapon of choice is slap shot, you should beter tape the heel as well or your blade wount last long even is it''s not the wood. Taping the toe only is no go for wooden sticks atall for very same reason.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 06:06 PM
krutch11

Send a message via Yahoo to krutch11
How do you even manage to tape the toe? I remember a while back I tried to do it to see what difference it made and about 3 inches from the toe my tape started twisting and I couldn't get it on sqaure with the blade so I just gave up on it. Any tips on how to do it without making the tape all wrinkly?

krutch11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Tape over the toe like the blade keeps going. Leave a little room on either side so the tape presses up against itself when you fold over. Then cut the excess off with scissors.

I tried taping heel to toe on one stick and just the toe with another. The toe only taping put more spin on the puck, giving me a harder and more accurate shot for wristers. Taping heel to toe made it a little easier to catch and make passes. The next game, I scored a goal with the heel to toe stick, and the tape peeled off the toe only, so I went heel to toe up until last week.

Now I'm trying friction tape and toe only, so we'll see how that works out again.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2008, 03:19 PM
SiouxPride

so, theres no dif then just taping the toe to taping heel to toe?

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote